Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 2 Jan 2006, 21:25 (Ref:1493692)   #1
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love Autosport its a great read. Just a shame NASCAR gets a small bit in the back (daytona 500 aside)
Old 3 Jan 2006, 10:20 (Ref:1493989)   #2
John McIlroy
Rookie

John McIlroy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Couldn't agree more, but that was a battle I lost...

At least I can console myself with tickets for Las Vegas NASCAR in March... ;-)

John
Old 3 Jan 2006, 10:25 (Ref:1493999)   #3
sceptic
Veteran

sceptic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McIlroy
Couldn't agree more, but that was a battle I lost...

At least I can console myself with tickets for Las Vegas NASCAR in March... ;-)

John
You should be going to Bristol a fortnight later instead
Old 3 Jan 2006, 10:44 (Ref:1494011)   #4
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ok, new thread opened, but for anyone wishing to wade through the old thread, it is here:-

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58749
Old 3 Jan 2006, 14:38 (Ref:1494162)   #5
Nintendo
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Nintendo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Autosport is a great mag and as soon as I can I'm subscribing. Well worth it. I like their small racing coverage. and its always nice to look in the classifieds and dream
Old 3 Jan 2006, 16:23 (Ref:1494216)   #6
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's alright, but they could do with using a larger font!
Old 4 Jan 2006, 14:46 (Ref:1494850)   #7
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Pete Fenelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintendo
...I like their small racing coverage...
Yes, that was one of the problems for me. Outside F1 and the BTCC, the coverage was all too small!
Old 4 Jan 2006, 14:50 (Ref:1494852)   #8
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Pete Fenelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Fenelon
Yes, that was one of the problems for me. Outside F1 and the BTCC, the coverage was all too small!
...that said, I did enjoy this year's Christmas double issue, there did seem to be a bit more substance and less F1centric fluff to it.
Old 5 Jan 2006, 14:24 (Ref:1495555)   #9
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my subscription I got December 29th Issue on the 22nd! And the Dakar should have ALOT more coverage.
Old 5 Jan 2006, 14:26 (Ref:1495558)   #10
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It is normal for the issue dated between Christmas and New Year to be ready a week before Christmas for production reasons. I think the Dakar coverage is reasonable - there is quite a bit in this week, which is good considering the event was only two legs old at the time of going to press.
Old 6 Jan 2006, 12:38 (Ref:1496148)   #11
John McIlroy
Rookie

John McIlroy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sceptic,

The August night race is the Bristol one to get to - did that last year and loved it...

John
Old 6 Jan 2006, 13:37 (Ref:1496190)   #12
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I bought the end of year review issue (the one with the DT catalogue and diary stickers) and can honestly say that I enjoyed it and there was plenty of non-F1 articles (and indeed, not that many F1 stories). If only it were like that every week.
Old 6 Jan 2006, 14:08 (Ref:1496204)   #13
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have to say I get a huge amount more out of MN, which to date has been better written and covers club racing / rallying far better. But then that is the remit of MN and what I like.

AS could do with a bit more reserch into some of its news stories as they are often veryspeculative and printed as fact. But I still still read both and Motorsport...

though they need to work out why thier club driver of the year was only ranked fouth best in his series (Brit GT - hmmm club? I think not)
Old 6 Jan 2006, 16:15 (Ref:1496269)   #14
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't buy it that often, but every time I have, the magazine is dominated by F1. Although I like F1, if I buy a magazine that is supposed to cover all of motorsport, that's not what I expect.
Old 6 Jan 2006, 19:20 (Ref:1496375)   #15
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
hm i only read the last thread.

i read both as and mn, plus other bits and pieces. mn is good for the club side more - not something i tend to go to, but something i like to read about. as can sometimes seem a little bit behind or skip over bits and pieces, and i'm not the biggest fan. though saying that, i still buy it. just picked up mn today too which i really do prefer - better content (for what i want) and a day earlier too. and though it's a paper, don't tend to find i get mucky fingers.

hm yep. definitely do prefer mn. though i buy both, not sure why.
Old 7 Jan 2006, 00:25 (Ref:1496556)   #16
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It does start to decompose after a while though. I don't usually buy MN, although I do now and again, and I subscribe to Autosport. They each have their for's and against's, but on the whole they do a good job.
Old 7 Jan 2006, 11:49 (Ref:1496722)   #17
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
if you read both you get a balance...kindof. you're right though mike - they both have their for's and against's
Old 9 Jan 2006, 23:09 (Ref:1498211)   #18
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mike didn't MN give you the big break - I remember e-mailing your details to matt james I think it was after I saw your aston pics...
Old 10 Jan 2006, 01:22 (Ref:1498281)   #19
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They did, and that issue is very yellow and ragged now! In fact I was just looking at it today...

I do buy it occasionally, but with Autosport aswell there is a lot crossover, and I don't really follow karting/short oval stuff etc. that MN covers. But I do get the occasional one...
Old 22 Jan 2006, 22:38 (Ref:1506971)   #20
insideline
Rookie

England
insideline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I gave up on it. It became too expensive
Old 30 Jan 2006, 18:47 (Ref:1512086)   #21
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
F.O.F. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
most of the time its a good read and like nintendo i enjoy dreaming while looking at the classifieds
Old 13 Feb 2006, 18:56 (Ref:1521991)   #22
Remus
Racer

Remus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Still buying, but not for much longer. Just not as in depth as it used to be and a bit 'light' - maybe i just know more now as a result of internet so find less of interest each week. Wish that articles were much longer, some just read like official press releases. Wish they would put other catagories on the front like they used to. I love F1 and attend races, but there is so much more to life.
I really enjoy looking back at issues from 10 or 20 years ago. i know the commercial arguments for the changes, but to me it has declined steadily over the long term.
Old 13 Feb 2006, 19:49 (Ref:1522047)   #23
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Still buy Autosport most weeks, but end up not reading most of it. Ironically since they went all modern in design they made the text quite small and as I am a 50 year old sad sod I can't be bothered putting my reading specs on unless it's interesting. Motoring, sorry Motorsport News started going down hill when the Autosport publishers took it over. I still like Motorsport (same publisher) but it's getting difficult to find at the local Newsagents. Unfortunately some of our biggest Motorsport Mags are from the same publisher.

At least Michael Heseltine smiled as bumped into him by accident at the NEC!
Old 13 Feb 2006, 20:10 (Ref:1522061)   #24
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In spite of all my reservations, I still buy it (almost) every week so I guess that says it all.

Now if I could have a combination of AS with 80% less F1 and MN with decent reproduction of photographs, I'd even subscribe to that.

Regards

Jim
Old 13 Feb 2006, 21:12 (Ref:1522110)   #25
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine
Ironically since they went all modern in design they made the text quite small and as I am a 50 year old sad sod I can't be bothered putting my reading specs on unless it's interesting.
Snap, Alan! Of course, in terms of content, a magazine that's changed its style and coverage before could well do so again, this time to something that some of us might find more acceptable! Don't forget that, as has been mentioned here before, there have been fairly frequent changes in editorial staff at Haymarket and that has sometimes signalled a change in editorial policy, as well.