Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 31 Aug 2013, 12:42 (Ref:3296525)   #76
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaw Daggerslash View Post
And why is that? Because of the daft, ever changing turbo regulations! No, I'm not Shedden or Plato, but that's the simple truth of the matter.

The thing that really annoys me about NGTC is there is absolutely no incentive to build a strong car, like Honda have, because you just get penalised for being "too competitive" with reduced turbo boost levels.

You might as well enter a shopping trolley with Jeremy Clarkson as a driver, because at some point TOCA is going to give you a performance break that would allow you to be near the front...it's like Alan Gow spins a wheel of fortune before the weekend to determine who is going to be competitive this time.

It just makes the series look a bit like a joke, if I'm honest, and it goes back to what I was saying about the BTCC having no international credibility or reputation any more.

Plus visually, NGTC doesn't do anything for me. The cars wallow through the corners more than an old American muscle car, and sound awful thanks to the turbos...

I honestly think they've gone the wrong way with the regulations. The last time the BTCC tried to go its own way with regulation, with the BTC cars, it was a disaster.

I used to love the BTCC, and these days it just frustrates me more than anything. It is all a bit too gimmicky these days for my liking, and would much rather see the return of the Super Touring type era, where the best driver/car combo won races. There was no success ballast, no reversed grid races, and most importantly, no stupid turbo boost adjustments either!

[/soapbox]
I feel your pain Thaw, and I do actually agree with a lot of it, especially how the cars look clumsy and lazy in the corners. I have to give them credit though for some things, the fact that the grid numbers are rising, can't be a bad thing. However I agree, I much preferred S2000 or the older supertouring regs, the cars were just "better" in so many ways.
Old 31 Aug 2013, 12:44 (Ref:3296526)   #77
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
^ I may remind you that other series such as WTCC or V8 Superstars also use peformance adjusting while V8 Supercars is essentially a single make cup

also the BTC rules were considered for the ETCC (now WTCC) but weren't adopted because BMW stubern backing of S2000 because they had already build S2000 cars, so it was more political crap rather than failure of the rules
Old 31 Aug 2013, 17:20 (Ref:3296609)   #78
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think if funding could be raised, Jack Goff and Paul O'Neil would be Tony Gilham's dream team for HARD and I believe he is working with both to make it happen....
Old 31 Aug 2013, 18:44 (Ref:3296663)   #79
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Gilham would be right to. Cole has left, and could never outshow Goff, but in his first tin top season he was pretty good.

Meanwhile, the other VW - will that stay with Scott? And I swear he was going to run 6 cars...
Old 31 Aug 2013, 19:15 (Ref:3296683)   #80
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I believe a SKODA UK backed entry has been discussed...

A lot of rumours, it's which as opposed when, they will come to fruition.
Old 31 Aug 2013, 23:22 (Ref:3296891)   #81
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaw Daggerslash View Post
I used to love the BTCC, and these days it just frustrates me more than anything. It is all a bit too gimmicky these days for my liking, and would much rather see the return of the Super Touring type era, where the best driver/car combo won races. There was no success ballast, no reversed grid races, and most importantly, no stupid turbo boost adjustments either!

[/soapbox]
Rose tined spectacles. Super Touring had plenty of success ballast and rule tweaking (weighting up the Audis before banning 4wd from being too successful etc), plenty of gimmicks (tyre changes in a touring car race? No thanks) and it wasn't that much about who had the best car/driver, it was more who could throw hundreds of pounds at testing testing testing....not that different to now. TD, 888 and WSR spend weekends at MIRA for most of the close season and its no surprise they are the quick ones.

It was a different time and era, it simply wouldn't work these days. Look at GT3 being popular now, but all the balance of performance waivers and breaks etc to get the cars even...
Old 1 Sep 2013, 22:18 (Ref:3297533)   #82
Aunt Sally
Veteran

Aunt Sally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
Yes that was a 'sunset race' rather than a night race.
We had one of those last year! And I'm sure we will again this season!

It was the last race at Brands Hatch... by the time we got to the poduim, the place was in total darkness!!!
Old 2 Sep 2013, 07:29 (Ref:3297667)   #83
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Biscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBiscuits In A Red Bull should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just realised that the tongue and cheek prediction bashes Andy Jordan for contact but not Adam Morgan. That guy was/is a one-man crash montage, to quote Revved Up!
Old 2 Sep 2013, 07:30 (Ref:3297668)   #84
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Meanwhile, I'm sure Dave Newsham will be somewhere OTHER than Speedworks next season...
Old 2 Sep 2013, 07:44 (Ref:3297674)   #85
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits In A Red Bull View Post
Meanwhile, I'm sure Dave Newsham will be somewhere OTHER than Speedworks next season...
how do you figure ?

a really good seat would be the 2nd Pirtek Civic replacing Jeff Smith but don't think Newsham has the $$$
Old 2 Sep 2013, 07:53 (Ref:3297677)   #86
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
how do you figure ?
How do you not is the bigger question! Dave's always been in different teams. Since his 2011 debut, he's been in 4...
Old 2 Sep 2013, 08:06 (Ref:3297683)   #87
porsche962fan
Veteran

Quote:
How do you not is the bigger question! Dave's always been in different teams. Since his 2011 debut, he's been in 4...
well if he could have afforded he would gone this season to a Honda or MG but he obvioulsy didn't have the $$$
Old 2 Sep 2013, 08:20 (Ref:3297689)   #88
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
To me, Dave Newsham is like Nico Hulkenberg. A ton of speed, but unproven as a title contender, has no money, and is forced to switch from team to team either due to budgetary reasons, or to try and make himself known...
Old 2 Sep 2013, 08:47 (Ref:3297700)   #89
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
He dragged that ancient Vauxhall to race wins and podiums. I'm sure if he swapped cars with Adam Morgan, he would be up at the sharp end again. I don't know why the Speedworks cars are consistenly underperforming, but judging by Newshams previous seasons and Morgans form this season, it is not all down to the drivers.
Old 2 Sep 2013, 11:19 (Ref:3297740)   #90
Thaw Daggerslash
Racer

Thaw Daggerslash should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
To me, Dave Newsham is like Nico Hulkenberg. A ton of speed, but unproven as a title contender, has no money, and is forced to switch from team to team either due to budgetary reasons, or to try and make himself known...
Wow. I never thought I'd read those two names in one sentence. First and last time for everything, I suppose.
Old 2 Sep 2013, 12:14 (Ref:3297763)   #91
RED55
Racer

Sweden
Banbury
RED55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I reckon TOCA slipped up with boost on the Vectra last year , but credit to Newsham and ES they won some races when the Honda Civic s2000/NGTC of Gilhams underperformed . (It was the most feared car that year ,but given Gilhams huge talent outperforming his budget the car went wayward )

The same Honda car here in Sweden was brilliant in the hands of Thomas Ekstrom but it must be a disapointment for TOCA that STCC didnt accept the NGTC regs as it would have been good for all the teams involved in constructing NGTC cars .

Im divided on NGTC Vs WTCC regs NGTC has allowed teams in , but the quality of some is suspect , and its still down to who has the money to test properly which dilutes the racing quality .

Supertouring was great but stupidly expensive and turned into a mini F1 paddock .

Id like to see all cars in NGTC get the same 2 bar boost ,best car driver combo wins , keep the ballast , but change quali into a showdown through a sprint race and make FP1 and FP2 a combined quali session. make the races slightly longer, no pitstops and a limit on how many drivers can drive for a team in a season . If the leader makes more than a 4 second lead send the safety car out to bunch them up , then everyone gets the chance to make up positions !
Old 2 Sep 2013, 12:18 (Ref:3297765)   #92
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Call me ignorant, but aren't the current championship standings showing the best cars and the best drivers at the top? Doesn't that show that despite the balancing it still matters to have the best car and best drivers?
Old 2 Sep 2013, 12:21 (Ref:3297768)   #93
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by RED55 View Post
make the races slightly longer, no pitstops and a limit on how many drivers can drive for a team in a season . If the leader makes more than a 4 second lead send the safety car out to bunch them up , then everyone gets the chance to make up positions !
Sounds like NASCAR to me...
Old 2 Sep 2013, 15:43 (Ref:3297853)   #94
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel View Post
Call me ignorant, but aren't the current championship standings showing the best cars and the best drivers at the top? Doesn't that show that despite the balancing it still matters to have the best car and best drivers?
I was going to say exactly the same thing. Perhaps we are both ignorant!
However, I think the point being made was that if Honda had equal boost, they would be even further ahead in the championship.
Old 2 Sep 2013, 16:03 (Ref:3297866)   #95
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Does anyone have any theories on why the NGTC cars roll around much more than previous rulesets?
Old 2 Sep 2013, 18:51 (Ref:3297960)   #96
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Does anyone have any theories on why the NGTC cars roll around much more than previous rulesets?
Do you mean roll through corners, or the fact that there have been 3 rollovers for the 4 seasons where NGTC parts have been allowed, with the previous roll being John George in 2008?
Old 2 Sep 2013, 23:13 (Ref:3298119)   #97
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Do you mean roll through corners, or the fact that there have been 3 rollovers for the 4 seasons where NGTC parts have been allowed, with the previous roll being John George in 2008?
Body roll when cornering.
Old 3 Sep 2013, 00:58 (Ref:3298143)   #98
SteveLevin
Rookie

United States
near the Corkscrew!
SteveLevin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I seem to recall Jason Plato performing a ballet move at Donnington in the Cruze?

A wise man once told me that the fastest way around the track is to make the car as soft as you think possible, then make it slightly softer than that. A driver, of course, always wants a car that's sharply responsive, but the stopwatch rarely lies -- the wallowy setup with more mechanical grip is usually much quicker.

Steve
Old 3 Sep 2013, 06:45 (Ref:3298196)   #99
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
I was going to say exactly the same thing. Perhaps we are both ignorant!
However, I think the point being made was that if Honda had equal boost, they would be even further ahead in the championship.
But if that were the case we'd all be crying here about Honda's domination It's hard to get these things right I guess, you'll always piz off somebody. So far, from my point of view as an outsider, I must say Gow is doing a pretty good job.
Old 3 Sep 2013, 06:47 (Ref:3298197)   #100
Biscuits In A Red Bull
Veteran

United Kingdom
Gow's done it so the best are still the best, but don't run away with every race.