Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 21 May 2008, 07:06 (Ref:2208020)   #76
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Race 16 - Future Classics

A disappointing grid for this race. The programme gave 29 entries for this 40 min race with compulsory pitstops, some drivers electing to go solo. In the event, just 18 formed up on the grid and 15 finished.

The race was led from the start by the Chris Palmer/Steve Avery XJS chased initially by the similar car of Roger Bowman. The no 49 car appeared to extend the lead for much of the race but their winning margin was surprisingly small when a consistent pursuer emerged from the pack to keep them on their toes, as we shall see:-

Great to see a Rover SD1 out. Unfortunately, Bruce Cologne-Brookes failed to finish, only completing 10 laps. Here he is under pressure from the Rover Tomcat of Roy Johbson who finished 4th:-

Tom Pead and Will Stephens finished 15th and last of the classified finishers in what was the oldest and smallest engined car in the race, their BMW 1600Ti:-

Stuart Jeffcote brought his Porsche Carrera through to finish 3rd:-

What was for me, the surprise package, as it was only in the second half of the race that it emerged as the closest challenger to the XJS. Fast consistent lappery by Martyn Johnson brought his TR7 V8 to within 4 seconds of the winner at the flag, for a fine 2nd place:-

One of several Porsche 944s in the race, this is the Mark Harris/Peter Briars version which finished 7th:-
Old 21 May 2008, 12:39 (Ref:2208257)   #77
Malcolm M
Rookie

Malcolm M should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Glenn and I can't claim being the oldest car on the grid, possible one of the youngest actually, but certainly we have a tiddly engine with no where near enough power (dyno'ed with 64.5 rwhp recently) so we got completely swamped on the long straights of Snetterton.

However we thoroughly enjoyed our first race with CSCC and would like to thank the CSCC and FC crowd for welcoming us in, it was a fun weekend. And to clarify, nope, we are not ex MAX5 drivers..... :-)
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4990a.jpg  
Old 21 May 2008, 12:57 (Ref:2208265)   #78
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well done to you both, Malcolm - 64.5 bhp at the wheels says abolutely 'bog standard' to me!
Old 21 May 2008, 14:29 (Ref:2208333)   #79
Stuart J
Racer

Stuart J should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Blimey, John, what a memory! That's the details on the 16th race from a programme over 6 weeks ago!

Thank you!
Old 21 May 2008, 19:09 (Ref:2208551)   #80
carrera
Veteran

England
Gatwick
carrera should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
By the time he finishes this report my Citroen really will be historic. lol
Old 22 May 2008, 06:28 (Ref:2208783)   #81
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
True!
Old 22 May 2008, 08:10 (Ref:2208837)   #82
Malcolm M
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Well done to you both, Malcolm - 64.5 bhp at the wheels says abolutely 'bog standard' to me!
Correct, although now thinking about what could be done to change that. That is what is good about this series, is that you can tinker with the engine and suspension. Of course I run straigth into the age old issue of putting money into a race car which will have zero effect on value! If anyone has solved that please let me know!
Old 24 May 2008, 06:56 (Ref:2210187)   #83
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Ok, checking races and results, race 16 is the last I covered really, Race 17 being another modern, and the last race of tge weekend was race 18 another Sports Car v Saloon Challenge, completely dominated by Caterhams which took the first 11 places! Mind you, I didn't see that, because I was carrying out some 'get you home' repairs to the car that my son was driving that day! So finally, I can put this meeting to bed!
Old 24 May 2008, 20:40 (Ref:2210762)   #84
IAN #51
Racer

England
WALSALL WEST MIDS
IAN #51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[quote=John Turner]What was for me, the surprise package, as it was only in the second half of the race that it emerged as the closest challenger to the XJS. Fast consistent lappery by Martyn Johnson brought his TR7 V8 to within 4 seconds of the winner at the flag, for a fine 2nd place:-

Sorry to be picky John but his name is Martyn Adams we (all the Triumph racers stood at the chicane) worked out he would have came first if he would have enlisted some help with his pitstop (we offered but to no avail) he elected to have the standard time we reckon we could have had him out the pit lane 30 seconds quicker but there you go cest le vie.

Ian
Old 26 May 2008, 06:50 (Ref:2211944)   #85
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Thanks, Ian; probably misread the programme or timesheet.
Old 26 May 2008, 06:59 (Ref:2211947)   #86
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
John, do you have a viral problem on your machine because everytime I click on one of your photos I get a stream of pop ups trying to load something from a Microsoft disc which culminates in a Poker site being loaded. This does not happen on for example Ians's picture, just yours???
Old 26 May 2008, 07:03 (Ref:2211948)   #87
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
No, Al, it works for me, fine, but then I have a pop up blocker. The poker site game is a standard Imageshack pop up feature. No idea about the other stuff!
Old 26 May 2008, 07:09 (Ref:2211949)   #88
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I have a blocker but it is still happening, that would put me right off using Image Shack if they endorse that. Shame this site does not have a facility built in to upload photos. BTW I like the look of the Future classics event I think my IROC amoungst the heavy weight brigade would slot right in there if only it was shorter as I only have a 8 to 10 gallon tank!

Last edited by Al Weyman; 26 May 2008 at 07:12.
Old 26 May 2008, 08:18 (Ref:2211969)   #89
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Shame this site does not have a facility built in to upload photos.
It does; I've just got used to using Imageshack to host the thumbnails I post here.
Old 26 May 2008, 08:30 (Ref:2211976)   #90
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Wow so it has, is that a new addition, excuse me for trying it out!
Attached Thumbnails
Iroc and Blazer at Mallory.jpg  
Old 26 May 2008, 10:14 (Ref:2212045)   #91
Malcolm M
Rookie

Quote:
I have a blocker but it is still happening, that would put me right off using Image Shack if they endorse that. Shame this site does not have a facility built in to upload photos. BTW I like the look of the Future classics event I think my IROC amoungst the heavy weight brigade would slot right in there if only it was shorter as I only have a 8 to 10 gallon tank!
It would be fun to a big banger like yours in FC! Talk to Nigel the series co-ordinator. Could you not put in an extra fuel tank to make you last the distance with a little transfer pump? Or a big transfer pump if your engine is that greedy!
Old 26 May 2008, 12:00 (Ref:2212116)   #92
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Trouble is its a hatchback so the tank would have to go in the habitcle of the car and I dont think thats allowed is it? She does about 5mpg at racing speed so I guess would need a pretty big tank to run for 40 minutes probably about 75 litres, I think I would have to get one fabricated. Anyhow with the luck I am having lately I would consider it a bonus to finish a ten lap sprint race!
Old 26 May 2008, 14:48 (Ref:2212245)   #93
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Trouble is its a hatchback so the tank would have to go in the habitcle of the car and I dont think thats allowed is it? She does about 5mpg at racing speed so I guess would need a pretty big tank to run for 40 minutes probably about 75 litres, I think I would have to get one fabricated. Anyhow with the luck I am having lately I would consider it a bonus to finish a ten lap sprint race!

An Ally one would need a fireproof cover Al,or you could spend two and a half grand on a Bag Type in a box.
Old 26 May 2008, 18:58 (Ref:2212434)   #94
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
£2500!!! Dont think i'll bother :-(
Old 26 May 2008, 19:14 (Ref:2212448)   #95
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I believed you were allowed to fabricate your own ally tank as long as it was filled with foam. Not expensive to do this. But perhaps I was wrong.
Old 27 May 2008, 19:43 (Ref:2213380)   #96
Moosehead
Veteran

Moosehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Al, my SBF uses around 10 gallons in the 40 minute Swinging Sixties races so I guess you would need a bit extra. How about a bit of imaginitive plumbing for extra capacity a la Mr Yunick??
Old 27 May 2008, 19:50 (Ref:2213388)   #97
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I like the look of the Future classics event I think my IROC amoungst the heavy weight brigade would slot right in there if only it was shorter as I only have a 8 to 10 gallon tank!
Come on Al, find some way of joining in - the more the merrier.
Old 28 May 2008, 14:48 (Ref:2213964)   #98
NiG_21
Racer

United Kingdom
Shepperton, Middlesex
NiG_21 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Al, I take the IROC is the Yelllow Chevvy in your avatar (1970 - 1981) not the VW concept car? Let me know the details and I'll hapilly welcome you aboard...

Big tanks are the way to go... longer races loom on the horizon...

Last edited by NiG_21; 28 May 2008 at 14:51.
Old 28 May 2008, 18:13 (Ref:2214086)   #99
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
No the black one in the lower shot the other one is a Z/28. The IROC-Z was not introduced till 86 in the 3rd gen shape. Just to complicate things I do have a genuine tubular space frame chassis IROC Racer 1976 similiar shape to the yellow car one of just 15 made and run by Penske and with massive race history and very interesting drivers from F1 and NASCAR in the 70's but I don't think that would be allowed out to play! :-) Whats a VW concept car?
Old 29 May 2008, 08:09 (Ref:2214450)   #100
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Just for clarity the car high on the Talladaga banking on the 2nd row with Richard Petty at the wheel is the Penske IROC car I have in my garage.

The IROC-Z I am currently racing is the one here seen briefly at Mallory the other week and is just a modified road car.
Attached Thumbnails
pic102_h300.jpg  

Tags
classic sports car club, cscc