Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 25 Apr 2008, 07:50 (Ref:2186246)   #1
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone Classic Press Day

I know LAK will be there ,anyone else going on 30 April?.
Old 25 Apr 2008, 10:20 (Ref:2186377)   #2
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
The Riley Works Sprite that has not been seen on a race track for 60 years should be there.Its a Le Mans,TT,Brooklands car and won GP at Monthlery in 38.Now thats Historic
Old 25 Apr 2008, 13:57 (Ref:2186577)   #3
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Is it open to mere plebs, do you know? I'd love to wander down...
Old 25 Apr 2008, 14:35 (Ref:2186616)   #4
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes,I think it is Tim,see you there?
Old 25 Apr 2008, 19:25 (Ref:2186908)   #5
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I'll most definitely try and be there.

Hmmm. Distinctive things?

Cowboy hat, and a Spa 24 Hours 2007 tee shirt? Failing that, a red carnation under the Press Centre stairs!
Old 26 Apr 2008, 13:40 (Ref:2187431)   #6
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Its OK Tim,dress code is informal
Old 28 Apr 2008, 19:37 (Ref:2189513)   #7
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Formula Junior will be there. I've come back early from Spain to attend - but the weather forecast looks glum.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 20:18 (Ref:2189556)   #8
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
It'll be fine,dont worry about it.
Old 28 Apr 2008, 21:47 (Ref:2189641)   #9
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its almost worth a train down...
Old 30 Apr 2008, 19:53 (Ref:2191353)   #10
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Well, that was fun, if a bit wet.
Pictures to come, but a Grand Day Out, Grommit.
Group C Lures, as they say. Lots of Porsches, plus lots of Nissans, and Spice...
T, I found your car, but never saw you. Are you avoiding me?
Old 30 Apr 2008, 20:12 (Ref:2191370)   #11
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
I thought they did a good job with the presentation. Hopefully they will meet their objectives - would be great if the hospitality for the drivers was upped, even better if the entry fees were reduced in proportion to profit. What about it BRDC?
Old 30 Apr 2008, 21:16 (Ref:2191398)   #12
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It is not run by the BRDC but by Motion Works - www.motion-works.co.uk

WHAT WE DO: Motion Works is a full service motoring focused Marketing, PR, Sponsorship and Event Management Company. We organise and promote the annual London to Brighton Veteran Car Run on behalf of The Royal Automobile Club, the annual SILVERSTONE CLASSIC on behalf of Classic Automotive Events and the Thursday Evening Summer Motorsport Series of POWERNIGHTS on behalf of Powernights Limited; provide various event services to Silverstone Circuit for The Silverstone Supercar Showdown including the introduction and organisation of the London to Silverstone Supercar Tour; provide sponsorship and licensing services to Silverstone Circuit for their portfolio of event and venue opportunities; provide event management and sponsorship services to the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) and Shell Global Solutions for the annual Formula Student and Shell Eco-marathon events; provide PR services to SRO for the annual British F3 and BRITISH GT Championships; plus PR services to the Mini Se7en Racing Club; PR services to The Royal Automobile Club for the Dewar Trophy, SIMMS MEDAL, Tourist Trophy & SEGRAVE TROPHY and in recent years created and developed the Adventure Drive Arabia facility at the Bahrain international circuit for their sales operations. Motion Works is part of the London based IDENTITY GROUP – offering a full creative service, communications planning and implementation across both on-line and off-line media.
Old 30 Apr 2008, 21:25 (Ref:2191402)   #13
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey
Well, that was fun, if a bit wet.
Pictures to come, but a Grand Day Out, Grommit.
Group C Lures, as they say. Lots of Porsches, plus lots of Nissans, and Spice...
T, I found your car, but never saw you. Are you avoiding me?

Sorry Tim,I found the card. Seemed like a lot of Cowboy hats around today,something to do with the weather?Busy day,but worth being there.Good to see LAK &Co,Did the tip work Louise?.Some fantastic Group Cs there,real racing cars!.
Old 30 Apr 2008, 22:23 (Ref:2191433)   #14
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Ah, the disguise worked. I wore the Shelsley Walsh hat instead...

Some Group C images here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sandfis...7604814388536/
More to come, as I get the time.
Sadly, bathroom tiling comes first. And job interviews!
Old 30 Apr 2008, 23:55 (Ref:2191472)   #15
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerwills
It is not run by the BRDC but by Motion Works
Sorry for any confusion! However the point still stands. Yes I was aware that Motion Works has the contract for the next 5 years, however support from powerful groups will help the drivers lot. The meeting is long and arduous for the drivers and their teams - Coys provided welcome hospitality. Now with Motorhomes in one part, cars in another and trailers in a third spot it is difficult to manage the car let alone feed oneself and team members. So I will direct the question at Motion Works -as I did at the Press Day to Jeff Carter.

Last edited by John Turner; 1 May 2008 at 08:57.
Old 1 May 2008, 00:16 (Ref:2191480)   #16
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
Surly Chrysler provided the Grub back in Coys days with a deal put together by Murray Smith.Those were the Days.
Old 1 May 2008, 06:27 (Ref:2191575)   #17
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by LYNX
The meeting is long and arduous for the drivers and their teams -
You should try marshalling, sign on Saturday 7.30AM, racing ends 9.30PM. Sign on Sunday 7.30 AM.
Old 1 May 2008, 07:07 (Ref:2191592)   #18
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

Why should BRDC sponsor the racers food unless they get the costs underwritten.There are many stands and the Great Silverstone Cafe so nobody will starve and some of the organisers have their own catering trucks and tents,The Masters Wigwam etc.Give some bits to the Marshals!
Old 1 May 2008, 08:31 (Ref:2191656)   #19
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
John, yes anyone involved in helping the day be a racing success should be fed and watered! All I'm doing is pointing out that the drivers last year were better looked after when it was the Coy's Festival (dare I mention Goodwood Revival - also attracting large crowds and sponsorship manage to put it on with no charge to the entrants and a very welcome hospitality package). I'm afraid I do not know what is available for the Orange Army but there are many members who can vocalise their concerns on that point. I am putting questions from my own experience, any views expressed are mine, and mine alone. Anyone who wants further information etc please PM me.
Old 1 May 2008, 09:48 (Ref:2191708)   #20
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

There was so much more money available in the Coys,Chrysler,Shell Historic,Christies Days

One of best Historic Meetings 6 Hrs Spa no food

Wood good-Free everything,do a short race but they buy you for the weekend and dictate all your movements

Silverstone Festival-Until they banish all those motorhomes,Trucks and general crap from Paddock the old Coys days will not return.Understand that all G C Teams need all their Trucks within 10 m of their Pit garage.It is impossible to walk along back of Pits due to tailgates down etc.I managed to trip over one of these .

Oldtimers at Ring still feed and water the racers but upper paddock is like a zoo

Question is what do people want
Old 1 May 2008, 10:37 (Ref:2191733)   #21
James Murray
Racer

James Murray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To turn up, have a good day racing hassle free John. Who cares about food and drink. This is why the HSCC/VSCC is so good, plus they dont allow relicas in.....
Old 1 May 2008, 10:42 (Ref:2191738)   #22
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

VSCC dont allow replicas.I thought majority of cars were specials or copies!
The food bit I go along with you,Its all about enjoying it and I am running out of ways of enjoying the racing bit.
Old 1 May 2008, 10:53 (Ref:2191747)   #23
James Murray
Racer

James Murray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok not sure about VSCC specials although my father in law has built loads of bodies for Riley and MG specials which compete in VSCC.
Old 1 May 2008, 11:00 (Ref:2191753)   #24
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, the VSCC have a lot of specials, some of which are themselves pretty elderly. Very few replicate anything that existed originally, so you are both right! Personally, I love to see these old specials based on elderly technology - Napier engines in Bentley chassis, World War l aero engines in GN chassis - especially when fitted with bicycle tyres!
Old 1 May 2008, 17:19 (Ref:2192023)   #25
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Oh, yes, sirree Bob!
Monster engines, non existent handling.
GREAT fun, especially when mixed up with the likes of David Caroline in a Morgan JAP...