Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 26 Jul 2004, 09:59 (Ref:1047500)   #1
alfasud
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
alfasud should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Carlos Sainz 26th WRC win in Rally of Argentina

I'm amazed that no one has mentioned this already.... Carlos Sainz is now the most successful driver in WRC after his win in the 2004 Rally of Argentina, earlier this month.

http://www.worldrallynews.com/artman...icle_455.shtml
http://www.worldrallynews.com/artman...icle_458.shtml

Given that his closest rival, Colin McRae (25 wins) is without a drive and others such as Tommi Mäkinen (24 wins) are now retired, it's difficult to see who might beat that total.

http://www.rallycars.com/Cars/wrc_st...ml#driver_wins

Given that Sainz could still increase his number of wins over the next year or two, are any of the current drivers a likely threat to his record?

Marcus Grönholm maybe, or will he retire before gaining another 10 WRC wins? Perhaps Solberg or Loeb after a number of years?

Or is it more difficult these days for a driver to have such a long and successful career as Carlos Sainz?
Old 26 Jul 2004, 10:09 (Ref:1047509)   #2
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I think that these days it's harder for someone to become established in the WRC, the pressure for immediate results can lead to drivers getting 1 season in a competitive car and then being replaced. Having said that both Ford and Subaru have youngsters in their second cars.

The current drivers that could beat that total are Gronholm, Loeb, Solberg and Martin. If any of them do beat Sainz's total it will be an incredible achievment.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 15:43 (Ref:1047878)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sainz total will stand for a long time I expect.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 19:39 (Ref:1048096)   #4
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here you can see, not only driver winning totals, but also other interesting trivia, like points totals, wins for different car models etc.

http://www.rallycars.com/Cars/wrc_st...ml#driver_wins

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 26 Jul 2004, 21:12 (Ref:1048184)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by BertMk2
I think that these days it's harder for someone to become established in the WRC,
You could be right.

However Sainz, who is established to say the least, has been offered a new contract! And he'll take it if the wife lets him (according to Autosport).
Old 26 Jul 2004, 21:36 (Ref:1048223)   #6
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That sounds more true, than that one rumour he being the new team boss of Huyndai starting next season.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 27 Jul 2004, 10:42 (Ref:1048593)   #7
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A superb achievement by Sainz. Almost throughout his career he seems to have been overshadowed by the likes of Makinen and McRae, and Carlos has endured some truly awful luck over the years, so this honour is one he truly deserves.

I think it'll be a while before anyone matches it. Gronholm won't, because there are so many others capable of winning rallies right now. I doubt Martin, Loeb or Solberg will because they'll be fighting against each other for wins for years to come. It'll be left to the next rallying god. Could be one of the youngsters out there now, like Hirvonen, or it could be someone we haven't seen yet.
Old 27 Jul 2004, 10:52 (Ref:1048605)   #8
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how does El Matador not have a series of video games?
how is he not praised as a top driver world wide?
why such modest acclaims for him from other series?
and if CItroen go to sportscars where is Carlos after rally?
he is one of my faves and the best
Old 27 Jul 2004, 11:05 (Ref:1048620)   #9
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He probably does in Spain. (?)
He is - by those who know.
At 37, he's irrelevant to most other series.
I didn't know there was any suggestion of Citroen leaving WRC - and I don't whether Carlos would be interested in other forms of motorsport the way Colin is.
He's one of my faves too - mainly cos he's the only one left! (though I'm becoming a fan of Solberg...)
Old 27 Jul 2004, 11:08 (Ref:1048621)   #10
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no citroe won't leave WRC- i was hoping for a prototype program ....and at 37 he is still good for Endurance series for a good ten year i imagine.
Solberg rules! good character and fun to watch.
Old 27 Jul 2004, 11:15 (Ref:1048628)   #11
garcon
Weasel Wrangler
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Aren't Peugeot and Citroen basically the same company? In which case Peageot has the background with prototypes - it'd be interesting if they resumed. You're right, he's plenty young enough for endurance racing. I don't know whether he'd be interested though. Paris Dakar might be more Carlos' bag.
Old 27 Jul 2004, 16:09 (Ref:1048922)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Carlos did test the Toyota Le Mans car a few years back.
Old 27 Jul 2004, 22:30 (Ref:1049292)   #13
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
A superb achievement by Sainz. Almost throughout his career he seems to have been overshadowed by the likes of Makinen and McRae, and Carlos has endured some truly awful luck over the years, so this honour is one he truly deserves.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

To Carlos!