Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 24 Jun 2008, 08:13 (Ref:2236385)   #401
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Bet they wish they had the euro .... remember that awful Italian Lire ..... I remember paying 85,000 Lire for a cheap hotel , couldnt get my head around that currancy at all !!!
Old 24 Jun 2008, 09:24 (Ref:2236412)   #402
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Interestingly if you look at the Yen:Euro rate for 2001 it translates to about a €5 million development budget, and the 2005 remodelling comes in at €3 million or so. All these figures are based on yearly averages from Oanda's historic currency converter.

These look like pretty generous development budgets - okay perhaps not at Audi or Peugeot levels but, I'd argue, blowing what the likes of Creation or Pescarolo spend into the weeds, and based on nothing more than gut feel, probably a long way in excess of what Lola stump up.

I would be absolutely amazed if anything approaching what they spent on the S101 was recouped through chassis sales, parts, and servicing, which indicates it's much more a case of Dome using their sportscars as a marketing showcase for wider engineering work.

Last edited by isynge; 24 Jun 2008 at 09:26.
Old 24 Jun 2008, 10:24 (Ref:2236440)   #403
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
I think this budget includes the money for DOME's racing activities.
Old 24 Jun 2008, 12:12 (Ref:2236493)   #404
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dome doesn't make a lot of money from selling racing cars...
Old 24 Jun 2008, 12:35 (Ref:2236513)   #405
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!Japanese Samurai has a real shot at the championship!
The business that sells the racing car doesn't succeed.
It is only an one make category that the constructor makes a profit .
Therefore, DOME keeps patticipating to the Le Mans with money gained in other businesses.
Old 24 Jun 2008, 20:56 (Ref:2236825)   #406
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I doubt that I am the only person to hope that Dome can continue to generate enough revenue from their business activities to further develop the car for many years of competing at Le Mans.
Old 24 Jun 2008, 23:05 (Ref:2236897)   #407
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
If a manufacturer was looking for a development partner to actually do the fabrication, I think you could do a whole heck of a lot worse than Dome. They mentioned on the SPEED coverage of Le Mans that Dome was a major part of Toyota's sportscar program back in the '80s.
Old 25 Jun 2008, 18:46 (Ref:2237470)   #408
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Dome is the works Honda team in more than one series and has close links to a number of manufacturers
Old 25 Jun 2008, 20:40 (Ref:2237561)   #409
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
The money for the development of this projectile had to have come from Toyota. The whole "technology showcase" story seems just like a sandbagging tale to me. Add to that the fact that the drivers at LM were all top SuperGT Toyota drivers and it makes for a covered up Toyota testcase.

My bet is,that Toyota will anounce it's withdrawell from F1 and return to Le Mans to take revenge...
Old 25 Jun 2008, 22:37 (Ref:2237637)   #410
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour
My bet is,that Toyota will anounce it's withdrawell from F1 and return to Le Mans to take revenge...
AMEN !!! ..... about bloody time too !!!
Old 29 Jun 2008, 09:57 (Ref:2239593)   #411
Japanese Samurai
Veteran

Japan
S102's test video from Japanese TV
http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=x2tPSIKC6KU
Old 29 Jun 2008, 10:29 (Ref:2239600)   #412
The Badger
Veteran

Nice one , thank you ..... Im really hoping that this car races again , or is a first strp return for Toyota .
Old 29 Jun 2008, 17:29 (Ref:2239816)   #413
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour
The money for the development of this projectile had to have come from Toyota. The whole "technology showcase" story seems just like a sandbagging tale to me. Add to that the fact that the drivers at LM were all top SuperGT Toyota drivers and it makes for a covered up Toyota testcase.

while I agree with the majority of your statement I think the chances of Toyota withdrawing from F1 range from slim to none........they are just starting to get their act together, and Bernie is taking F1 to all un-developed regions.......where they need low cost transport, you just cannot buy the exposure that F1 gives them........ while £500m sounds like a big figure to you and me, but in real terms to a BIG vehicle manufacturer like Toyota, this is only half of a road car 4cyl engine programme......1000 million dollars is the typical full price for a full road car engine programme, and they always have 100's on the go.......they could happily do both F1, US and European LeMans and not notice the money one bit.
Old 29 Jun 2008, 17:36 (Ref:2239821)   #414
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
Quote:
I can't agree there - Dome has enough money to fund this project if you visit the factory you realise that very quickly, its a very wealthy and very secretive operation. But I'm also 99% that the 2 S102's racing at Le Mans next year will not have a Judd engine (or at least a Judd branded one)
Old 29 Jun 2008, 17:47 (Ref:2239829)   #415
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
But I'm also 99% that the 2 S102's racing at Le Mans next year will not have a Judd engine (or at least a Judd branded one)
What that about ?
Old 29 Jun 2008, 18:00 (Ref:2239841)   #416
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
The pair of S102's racing at Le Mans next year will have a different engine, of that I'm 99% certain.
Old 29 Jun 2008, 18:08 (Ref:2239862)   #417
The Badger
Veteran

Did I miss something about a two car effort ?
Old 29 Jun 2008, 18:10 (Ref:2239867)   #418
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
Dunno do you read the racecar site?
Old 29 Jun 2008, 18:54 (Ref:2239929)   #419
The Badger
Veteran

Nope ..... whats it saying ?

Ok , cheers for that ..... some very interesting rumours running about , hope some of them come true .

Last edited by The Badger; 29 Jun 2008 at 18:57.
Old 30 Jun 2008, 06:26 (Ref:2240184)   #420
Hammerdown
Racer

United Kingdom
Clevedon, UK
Hammerdown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds a bit like Aim saying 'sayanora' Creation then! Can't say I'm surprised.
Old 30 Jun 2008, 09:22 (Ref:2240310)   #421
cdsvg
Racer

Australia
cdsvg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Sounds a bit like Aim saying 'sayanora' Creation then! Can't say I'm surprised.
Yep, that was my first thought.
Old 30 Jun 2008, 09:25 (Ref:2240312)   #422
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdsavage
Yep, that was my first thought.
Hmm, doesn't AIM have a three-year exclusive contract with Courage??
There may of course be some kind of provision for exciting the contract if the desired results aren't achieved or something like that....
Old 1 Jul 2008, 10:20 (Ref:2241276)   #423
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Dome have any sense, which they obviously do, they will realise the 90 degree AIM Judd motor is no great benefit when compared to the 72 degree version, same power, just a slightly lower C of G, which is no great benefit in sports cars like it is in F1........Pescarolo have walked all over creation using the standard 72 degree customer engine, so why bother........

What Dome will quite probably do is go get a V12 Aston engine and convert for LMP1 use, it has a clear power benefit over the Judd engined cars, as stated before 700bhp for the AM V12, versus about 670/80 for the Judd........in my mind this is why the Aston was the fastest qualifying gasoline engined car at LeMans, and has been the gasoline pace-setter in the other LMS races.
Old 1 Jul 2008, 16:04 (Ref:2241525)   #424
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty
What Dome will quite probably do is go get a V12 Aston engine and convert for LMP1 use, it has a clear power benefit over the Judd engined cars, as stated before 700bhp for the AM V12, versus about 670/80 for the Judd........in my mind this is why the Aston was the fastest qualifying gasoline engined car at LeMans, and has been the gasoline pace-setter in the other LMS races.
Ooooh yes ! That'd be a GREAT combo !

Old 1 Jul 2008, 16:14 (Ref:2241538)   #425
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or Corvette or Maserati for that matter...