Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 19 Nov 2011, 06:41 (Ref:2988650)   #726
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacrosNZ View Post
you mean like some people spreading rumours like ST using expensive Michelin rubber? or the top three getting better deals? or all LS7s being used are junk? or ST stole the car off veega? or...
there have been endless rumours since the birth of this series
Old 19 Nov 2011, 06:50 (Ref:2988651)   #727
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
wasn't the prototype wearing Michelin rubber?

who made the claim the ST's would use LS7.Rs engines not LS7s?

who made the claim the ST was faster than a V8SC?

who made the claim ST would have 3-4 manufactures involved?

hmm

ST stole the car off veega? did they? i wouldn't know
Old 19 Nov 2011, 09:09 (Ref:2988676)   #728
Biggy G
Veteran

Biggy G should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
other series in NZ have weekly rumours posted all over the net too?
10-11 NZV8's showing up to Ruapuna, class will be cancelled?

Porsche's gone for 2011/12 (Was a rumour, sadly came true)

PRS is gone (Was a rumour, sadly came true)

Formula Fords won't be at Pukekohe (Was a rumour, sadly came true)

Plenty of speculation about NZ series' about the place.

Wasn't the prototype carrying rubber to evaluate? Who's to say the ST won't be quicker at some tracks? Who said their could possibly be 3-4 manufacturers?

There's been endless rumours because there's been talk about the series... Rumours are generated when people are interested in something and talk about it, and some of that talk gets out 7 misconstrued...

This thread has had some tall poppy syndrome for a couple of pages now...
Old 19 Nov 2011, 09:28 (Ref:2988681)   #729
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
rumours/claims come from inside the classes involved

the tall poppy syndrome isn't just in this thread
Old 19 Nov 2011, 17:36 (Ref:2988811)   #730
M Jones
Rookie

M Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Theres always going to be rumours around something new and exciting. Thankfully all the rumours are positive
Old 19 Nov 2011, 17:40 (Ref:2988814)   #731
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggy G View Post
There's been endless rumours because there's been talk about the series... Rumours are generated when people are interested in something and talk about it, and some of that talk gets out 7 misconstrued......
I don't even think it has to be misconstrued... A lot of those 'rumours' have been based on what people have seen and heard. As the how/when/where and what of the series evolves some of those things that were 'fact' cease to be.
The tyres are a case in point. The Prototype WAS using some expensive Michelin boots... It's not something that's been misconstrued, it's something that's been taken on face value.

This thread has had some tall poppy syndrome for a couple of pages now...[/QUOTE]
Old 20 Nov 2011, 04:16 (Ref:2989039)   #732
KRDG
Rookie

KRDG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 20 Nov 2011, 09:38 (Ref:2989107)   #733
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think this series is the most exciting thing to happen to NZ motorsport since the V8 Supercars first came to our shores, AND this is a homegrown series so is even better because it is helping our industry. I need to buy some tickets before they sell out!!
Old 20 Nov 2011, 20:15 (Ref:2989288)   #734
Ugy
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Ugy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I need to buy some tickets before they sell out!!

You're on to it, snooze and you loose
Old 21 Nov 2011, 02:04 (Ref:2989395)   #735
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
has the price of a ST dropped?
Old 21 Nov 2011, 04:06 (Ref:2989421)   #736
Mark Petch
Veteran

Mark Petch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
has the price of a ST dropped?
Promax,
Don't believe everything you read, its called journalistic licence! The base price of the unpainted, complete kit, is still NZ$185K plus GST.

Optional air-jacks etc increase the base price by another $7k, then there is the cost of the painting and the assembly of all the bits, and that cost varies widely because some team owners can get their cars painted as part of a sponsorship arrangement , etc.
Old 22 Nov 2011, 09:39 (Ref:2989932)   #737
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Does anyone know the kerb weight of a V8ST vs an NZV8?

Also, what is the difference in construction between the two classes?
Old 22 Nov 2011, 20:36 (Ref:2990166)   #738
E36ST
Racer

New Zealand
NZ
E36ST should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From a press release circulated this morning:

SUPERCHEAP AUTO TO BACK McLAUGHLIN & McCONVILLE IN NZ V8 SUPERTOURERS

New Zealand born teenager Scott McLaughlin and Australian racing professional Cameron McConville will team up, with the backing of automotive retail giant Supercheap Auto, in their quest to challenge for the inaugural New Zealand V8 SuperTourer crown, which kicks off next February.

The two-car super team will see 18-year-old McLaughlin and 37-year-old McConville driving a pair of Paul Ceprnich built Holden Commodores, prepared by Melbourne Performance Centre (MPC). McLaughlin’s car will be engineered by Reuben Laurenson - Scott’s engineer in New Zealand last year - with added support coming from Stone Brothers Racing’s Mikey Flynn, who is currently the crew chief on McLaughlin’s Fujitsu Falcon here in Australia.

McConville will be engineered by chassis builder Ceprnich and both drivers feel confident they can be competitive from the outset in the new and exciting V8 SuperTourers Series.

McLaughlin: “I can’t wait to get back over there, and having scored a win on home soil (Taupo) last year I am looking to be up in the top five from the word go. My driving has improved significantly this year and we have proven that we can mix it at the front in the Fujitsu V8 Supercar Series. I’m so excited about this new form of V8 racing and the New Zealand fans are going to love the cars. To have Supercheap Auto on board again is just fantastic as we enjoyed some really good events in last year’s NZV8 Series and I really want to repay them for having the faith in this new venture.”

McConville: “The SuperTourer Series is shaping up as a really competitive program and the depth of talent in the field looks to be excellent. I don’t know all of the circuits but I’m sure my MPC team will be amongst the best team there is and for that reason I feel confident of putting on a very competitive showing. The cars look great and from what I’ve heard they are quick and well-balanced. I’m really looking forward to giving it a red hot go and I’m delighted to be part of the two-car Supercheap Auto team with young Scott. One thing’s for sure, I will be getting plenty of V8 miles next year”

Supercheap Auto’s Managing Director, David Ajala explains that the automotive retailer is excited to be a part of the inaugural season of the NZ V8 SuperTourers: "We know that New Zealanders love their motorsport, so it’s great to see that the V8 category in NZ has evolved into something very similar to the Australian V8 Supercar series. We are proud to support a two car team with both Scott and Cameron at the wheel, a mixture of youth and experience coupled with the engineering line up will definitely put the team in a good position to win not only races but the Championship as well."

The seven round New Zealand V8 SuperTourer Series kicks off at Hampton Downs during the weekend of February 17-19, 2012.
Old 23 Nov 2011, 02:16 (Ref:2990258)   #739
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is that the sponsor Murph was spitting tacks about?
Old 23 Nov 2011, 04:54 (Ref:2990282)   #740
MarioNZ
Rookie

New Zealand-Maori
MarioNZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappelli View Post
Is that the sponsor Murph was spitting tacks about?
I'm thinking that would be a fair assumption? But McLaughlin was already sponsored by SuperCheap last year in NZ so how have they 'nicked' someone else's money??
Old 23 Nov 2011, 05:18 (Ref:2990287)   #741
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioNZ View Post
I'm thinking that would be a fair assumption? But McLaughlin was already sponsored by SuperCheap last year in NZ so how have they 'nicked' someone else's money??
more nicked the edge of his ego...
Old 23 Nov 2011, 19:53 (Ref:2990590)   #742
BackSeat Driver
Racer

BackSeat Driver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Could it be that Kayne Scott has lost the Fujitsu Heat Pump Sponsorship backing that he has had for so long and his new sponsor was one of Murphys long time associates?
Old 23 Nov 2011, 21:04 (Ref:2990620)   #743
MarioNZ
Rookie

New Zealand-Maori
MarioNZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackSeat Driver View Post
Could it be that Kayne Scott has lost the Fujitsu Heat Pump Sponsorship backing that he has had for so long and his new sponsor was one of Murphys long time associates?
Wouldn't have a clue but what we're referring to is the article Murph wrote specifically throwing blades at McConville's teams for stealing someone else's sponsor. Supercheap are backing the 2 car team but the other driver is McLaughlin who already carried the SC backing so I'm not sure where the apparent criminal activity comes in..... or was Murph lining up a reunion with his old sponsor for the NZ series and missed out? I don't know, I'm just happy throwing questions out there which I will never, ever actually be in a position to provide answers to

Last edited by MarioNZ; 23 Nov 2011 at 21:05. Reason: Fundamental grammatical blunders
Old 23 Nov 2011, 21:27 (Ref:2990627)   #744
MacrosNZ
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
MacrosNZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm I don't think anyone here really has enough info on Murph and his sponsors to make more than a guess. I as sure don't.
Old 24 Nov 2011, 00:23 (Ref:2990688)   #745
Ugy
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Ugy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If your'e not performing a sponsor will normally move on. Lucky they stayed on for as long as they did.
Old 24 Nov 2011, 01:19 (Ref:2990701)   #746
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugy View Post
If your'e not performing a sponsor will normally move on. Lucky they stayed on for as long as they did.
Assuming the comment about Fujitsu sponsorship moving is based on fact and not fiction, are you implying Kayne wasn't performing and was lucky to keep them for so long? He is an NZV8 Champion and consistent front runner in anything he drives. I don't think luck has nothing to do with it.
Old 24 Nov 2011, 03:39 (Ref:2990725)   #747
BackSeat Driver
Racer

BackSeat Driver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As far as I know it is still a rumour about loosing Fujitsu, but it is a fact that he lost all his points from rounds 1 thru 6 for an engine irregularity.
Old 24 Nov 2011, 05:03 (Ref:2990739)   #748
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackSeat Driver View Post
As far as I know it is still a rumour about loosing Fujitsu, but it is a fact that he lost all his points from rounds 1 thru 6 for an engine irregularity.
The issue was a cylinder head measurement. If he had machined those heads himself, you might be able to point a stick at him. He would have paid a professional very good money for that work, and to have that happen... well, talk about "rip your ration book".

That DQ is no reflection on him personally at all. Secondly, sponsors move for many reasons. It's usually to do with business behind the scenes, or politics. If he has lost FHP, my bet would be it's politics.
Old 24 Nov 2011, 05:32 (Ref:2990743)   #749
CDM
Racer

CDM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petch View Post
Promax,
Don't believe everything you read, its called journalistic licence! The base price of the unpainted, complete kit, is still NZ$185K plus GST.
Journalistic licence?... More like plain old BS.

Sorry but when Radisich says - quote "You can buy a car for $180,000 ready on the track to go" when that is clearly not the case, it makes the SuperTourer fraternity also look like amateurs when the CEO is so far out on the price!!
Old 24 Nov 2011, 06:20 (Ref:2990751)   #750
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDM View Post
Journalistic licence?... More like plain old BS.

Sorry but when Radisich says - quote "You can buy a car for $180,000 ready on the track to go" when that is clearly not the case, it makes the SuperTourer fraternity also look like amateurs when the CEO is so far out on the price!!
Hey lighten up CDM, do you believe every quote you read in the media? I certainly don't and I know not to from personal experience. My belief is that the ST crew are setting the bar to a much higher level than we've ever seen in New Zealand motorsport, an opinion that has been shared on this thread many times. I sense a bit of 'tall poppy' syndrome coming through.
Closed Thread