Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Next year I will (chose the closest most likely option)
Watch live on BBC or Sky depending which it is on. 36 32.73%
Watch only BBC live or delayed/highlights. 48 43.64%
Watch only BBC live (live or not bother). 16 14.55%
Not watch, it is over for me. 10 9.09%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 29 Jul 2011, 17:42 (Ref:2932853)   #226
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Sky aren't showing advert breaks during the races.
just seen that, thanks for correcting me
Old 29 Jul 2011, 17:42 (Ref:2932854)   #227
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
BBC coverage is fantastic. I would be surprised if anywhere in the world matches what we get. Certainly from the limited exposure I have had it doesn't.

Sky cover sporting events well and the lack of adverts will be a boon. Not as good as the beeb, but eighty times better than the disgraceful ITV.

IMHO, this is acceptable and doesn't require death threats to Bernie.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 17:43 (Ref:2932855)   #228
Flat12-Aircool
Veteran

United Kingdom
Stoke-on-Trent (The Potteries)
Flat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFlat12-Aircool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox89 View Post
Good news!

BBC will show entire races deferred, says Whitmarsh.

Bernie had better stick to that!!
If that's the case it makes you wonder what's in it for Sky?

The quote I've read is that there's a few things that still need to be hammered down, that being one of them. Maybe after hearing that, the Sky people are wanting some of their money back?
Old 29 Jul 2011, 17:44 (Ref:2932856)   #229
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox89 View Post
0, I think, as it was only on ITV (edit: and ESPN)

I looked back on previous years though out of curiosity, and they were all around the same. 7-8 million.
So the BBC don't broadcast the FA Cup final anymore?

7-8 million, I thought it would have been more.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 17:48 (Ref:2932858)   #230
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who's going to watch entire races deferred, knowing the full results already?
Old 29 Jul 2011, 17:48 (Ref:2932859)   #231
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally, I think the entire BBC Grand Prix team should go on strike tomorrow.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 17:50 (Ref:2932861)   #232
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Because of their pensions?
Old 29 Jul 2011, 17:54 (Ref:2932862)   #233
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's sad that Sky has been the target of all the hate when it's really the BBC that have thrown the fans under a bus with this decision.

The sense of entitlement in this thread is a little overwhelming as well.

Maybe the viewing figures will go down which will in turn have an impact on sponsorship. Maybe. But I guarantee that the increased TV revenue from Sky will keep the teams books in the black. I wonder if the more targeted demographic of the average Sky Sports subscriber will help sponsorship too?

I enjoy watching F1 so I'll willingly pay for coverage, the only time I'll bemoan Sky is if their effort is a clear step backwards from what the BBC offer but I realise that puts me in a distinct minority in this thread.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 17:55 (Ref:2932863)   #234
Fox89
Veteran

United Kingdom
Leamington Spa, UK
Fox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFox89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
Me! Results are only the results. The journey of getting to them is the fun bit of racing. Sure, you may have seen that Vettel beat Alonso over the line, but what the results DON'T tell you is that prior to that they had an epic 30 lap battle and were side by side for most of it*.

*Oh, just remembered I used Vettel in my example, so I might have to change it to 'so you know he crashed but you dont know how spectacularly he crashed'.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 17:55 (Ref:2932864)   #235
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
I manage this all the time. Sunday is in the middle of the day is inconvenient. Even last weekend I managed to avoid the result and watch the recorded version as if live even though I had been at Silverstone watch F1 cars before they were the current spec. Formula.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 17:59 (Ref:2932866)   #236
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Cut Jaguar View Post
The sense of entitlement in this thread is a little overwhelming as well.
F1 fans are demanding, arrogant, money grabbing and hypocritical. I blame Bernie.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 18:02 (Ref:2932867)   #237
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
BBC coverage is fantastic. I would be surprised if anywhere in the world matches what we get. Certainly from the limited exposure I have had it doesn't.

Sky cover sporting events well and the lack of adverts will be a boon. Not as good as the beeb, but eighty times better than the disgraceful ITV.

IMHO, this is acceptable and doesn't require death threats to Bernie.
You're in a tiny minority there Adam... just about everyone on every forum related to motorsport is enraged by this.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 18:04 (Ref:2932868)   #238
shy tot racing
Rookie

England
Lincolnshire
shy tot racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Everyone knows that Bernie's a lying conniving cock... he always has been. But the blame for this lands at the door of the Beeb. They were offered it. They can afford it. They chose not to take it. In fact they chose to back out of it before the end of their contract. If they were beholden to their viewers, they would have had to prioritise their expenditure accordingly in order to outbid Sky. But they're not.
You've got it spot on!
Old 29 Jul 2011, 18:04 (Ref:2932869)   #239
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
around 7500 signatures now.

Looks as if 'People Power' means that the Beeb will transmit all the races even if half are deferred which suits me fine too. Afterall we all watched the Canadian GP later in the evening here in the UK.

Must not go down to Brands Hatch Media Centre when a Sky transmitted F1 race is being shown ...

Originally Posted by Alan Raine
There's already a petition.

http://www.petitionbuzz.com/petitions/keepf1onthebbc

If they get 100,000 it's possibly debated in Parliament

Last edited by Paulaweybridge; 29 Jul 2011 at 18:10.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 18:06 (Ref:2932873)   #240
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"From what Bernie has said it's better than expected," said Whitmarsh.

"The BBC will show every grand prix in full, half of them live and half of them deferred, so free-to-air is available to everyone.

"Sky sound like they are really going to commit to it as well, so it sounds like there is a little bit of competition between the BBC and Sky.

"So overall, from Bernie's view, it will increase the total viewership within the UK.

Why would this increase overall viewers in the UK?

Does Bernie think that people don't watch F1 because it's on BBC and will now suddenly start watching it because it's on Sky?
Old 29 Jul 2011, 18:07 (Ref:2932874)   #241
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
You're in a tiny minority there Adam... just about everyone on every forum related to motorsport is enraged by this.
You mean that everyone who watches F1 on the BBC on every forum related to motorsport is enraged by this?
Old 29 Jul 2011, 18:09 (Ref:2932876)   #242
shy tot racing
Rookie

England
Lincolnshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Can't even get rid of the dreaded casual fans due to it still being on BBC in various forms.
The so-called casual fans are what gives the sponsers the reason to do the sponsering. With just whatever the types that you class yourself as to watch there would be no sponsers no money no F1--twerp
Old 29 Jul 2011, 18:11 (Ref:2932878)   #243
Paulaweybridge
Veteran

United Kingdom
Paulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPaulaweybridge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just have to keep the ear plugs in until you get home Adam ...

Quote:
I manage this all the time. Sunday is in the middle of the day is inconvenient. Even last weekend I managed to avoid the result and watch the recorded version as if live even though I had been at Silverstone watch F1 cars before they were the current spec. Formula.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 18:18 (Ref:2932882)   #244
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just listen to what this overpaid [by you] moron at the Beeb has to say about it here. Because they're not run as a commercial entity, they're unable to optimize their resources and haven't an iota on how to deploy cuts. They're the same as the councils, civil servants etc...

A question you have to ask yourself. If Formula One was so important that the Beeb had to outbid ITV for it, then invest hugely to create the best coverage around... how could this have caused a deterioration in importance to the point that the Beeb need to wriggle out of their contractual commitment ?

Let's not forget, this is an organization that sent 40 reporters to Chile to cover the evacuation of the miners there. Even the newsreader read the news from above the mine. This is how the Beeb goes about money saving.
Old 29 Jul 2011, 18:19 (Ref:2932883)   #245
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
You mean that everyone who watches F1 on the BBC on every forum related to motorsport is enraged by this?
... and them too
Old 29 Jul 2011, 18:25 (Ref:2932886)   #246
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
This I realise, but are they really outraged or is it just like everything else where outrage and indignation is spouted. I can't tell the different, too much cry wolf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulaweybridge View Post
There's already a petition.
A petition, we're saved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulaweybridge View Post
Just have to keep the ear plugs in until you get home Adam ...
Old 29 Jul 2011, 18:34 (Ref:2932891)   #247
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
This I realise, but are they really outraged or is it just like everything else where outrage and indignation is spouted. I can't tell the different, too much cry wolf.
I'm not sure I can tell the difference between real outrage and spouted outrage. All I can say is that this is a travesty. It's a travesty of a mockery of a sham of a mockery of a travesty of two mockeries of a sham. Now, is that real, spouted or a wolf cry
Old 29 Jul 2011, 18:36 (Ref:2932894)   #248
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
He he
Old 29 Jul 2011, 18:40 (Ref:2932899)   #249
shy tot racing
Rookie

England
Lincolnshire
Slater & poison dwarf

Just watched Slaters and poison dwarfs comments re F1/Trype TV.sorry Sky Tv. Not surprised they are both standing as they are talking through their arses
Old 29 Jul 2011, 18:50 (Ref:2932909)   #250
Wendy Wool
Rookie

Wendy Wool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps we should not be surprised by Ecclestones shock announcement, history shows that is his style with TV deals, witness BBC to ITV and back again.

Over recent years he has become a dictator and his aging judgement is failing and becoming more nasty, just recall the Britsih GP to Donington fiasco.

In every case his announcements are timed to shock and cause mayhem.

He has shafted just about everyone in the sport and now you can pay to watch a GP on Sky Sports at the price you can pay to enter the circuit not too long ago.

A deal by an man allegedly being connected with bribes dealing with a mogul whose businesses involved phone hacking of the deceased just about sums it up!

As the sport is far better of without Max Moseley, it would be far better off with Bernie, anyone know an assasin?
Closed Thread

Tags
outrage, sky