Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 25 Jan 2007, 06:34 (Ref:1825391)   #1
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Embassy's Prototype Plans Revealed

DSC have all the details.......

Embassy Racing will return to competition in 2007 with the very latest spec Pilbeam MP93 LMP2, Judd XV power (which will benefit from considerable development since 2006) and driven by Neil Cunningham and Warren Hughes.

Full Le Mans Series campaign (including Brazil) and a likely trip across the Pond for a little ALMS action later in the year. They have not sought an invite for Le Mans this year.

Fantastic news, and I think we're about to find out exactly what that little Pilbeam is really capable of!

It's good to have Jonathan France and his team back in the fray (oh, and don't forget to bring those lovely girls with you, Jonathan!). Good luck to everyone involved in this project!
Old 25 Jan 2007, 07:23 (Ref:1825407)   #2
Jed Maxwell
Rookie

Brazil
Brazil
Jed Maxwell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is excellent news!!! What a driver pairing by the way, can't wait to see them in action at Interlargos. What girls are you talking about?? Have they said they will have some again, i hope so!
Old 25 Jan 2007, 08:26 (Ref:1825431)   #3
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I am really pleased about this, I am a big fan of Warren Hughes due to his connections with MG's over the last few years. Sounds like my local team are going places in 2007. Now how do I get to Monza?
Old 25 Jan 2007, 09:45 (Ref:1825475)   #4
Alain P
Rookie

Russian Federation
Alain P should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, good news too see this team back racing- very profesionel squad, good aproach. Pleased to see Hughes in a proto rather than a gt car, Cunningham too. Pilbeam is a nice car, and i will watch to see how good it is now Embassy have it. Does anyone know how much the same it is to the PIR car which ran in 2006?
Old 25 Jan 2007, 12:05 (Ref:1825587)   #5
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nice news! Good to see Embassy back. I wonder if they'll be able to use their radio programme idea to good effect in the LMS like they did in BGT?
Old 25 Jan 2007, 12:28 (Ref:1825608)   #6
Alain P
Rookie

Russian Federation
Alain P should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I read that they have Judd engine too, but no mention of tyre. Will they be Michelin team? I am aware that they utilise Dunlop tyre in FIA Gt with the Porsche. Anyhow, what has happened to Ben Colin- did he make too many mistake?
Old 25 Jan 2007, 16:54 (Ref:1825798)   #7
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is an excellent driver pairing and I just hope the Pilbeam is good enough, if it was a Porsche I would tip this pair to win the championship, they are both paid pro's so J France is really serious. How good is this chassis you techno experts?
Old 25 Jan 2007, 17:08 (Ref:1825806)   #8
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Its going to be interesting to see how well they can make that car run , especially with Warren Hughes doing some of the driving .
Old 25 Jan 2007, 19:29 (Ref:1825902)   #9
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It is also worth pointing out that they have signed up Alastair Macqueen (ex TWR and Bentley, RML) as technical director. Again another good signing.
Old 25 Jan 2007, 19:34 (Ref:1825905)   #10
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
excellent news and LMP2 is getting spicy on both sides of the Atlantic!!!!
Old 25 Jan 2007, 19:49 (Ref:1825913)   #11
old man
Veteran

England
UK
old man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridold man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
McQueen was an an engineer on the Totota sports car that never raced, see thread "sportscars that never raced" and Autosport article on same subject. He is a v good engineer and probably as good if not better than Mike Pilbeam, it will be interesting to say the least!!!
Old 26 Jan 2007, 10:00 (Ref:1826265)   #12
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Now that I've had time to digest this announcement, a number of questions come to mind:

Why the Pilbeam? I know JF always does things properly. A huge amount of research, study, weighing up of options etc. will have taken place. But, to the casual observer (and I include myself in that category), a good result due to the misfortunes of others in Istanbul gave a false impression as to the competitiveness of the Pilbeam. Istanbul was the car's best result of 2006 (the first race of the LMS season), and while others improved as the season progressed, the Pilbeam did not. Even in Simon Pullan's hands at Le Mans, the car was way off the pace of the class leaders. So, what exactly did Jonathan France see in the Pilbeam which convinced him to sign on the dotted line? I'm not saying I think it was a wrong decision, but I do find it intriguing and perhaps a little confusing.

With that in mind (but to a lesser extent), I also question the choice of engine. Yes, the Pierre Bruneau example is Judd powered and from a manufacturing point of view there must be cost advantages to the package which make following the same route, attractive. But at the time the decision was made, the AER unit ruled the roost and would perhaps have appeared to be the more obvious choice.

Then there's the comments of the drivers in the DSC article. Warren Hughes; (forgive the copy and paste, Malcolm!) "When I saw what Embassy had to offer, the full-on professionalism and a car that is simply awesome, I just had to be a part of it. Neil and I are under pressure because there really are no excuses – if we do our job we will win, and that’s all that any motor racing driver can ask." Are these the words of a man who's paid to do a job and to 'say the right things'? Or, has the development of both car and engine, since last year, been such that his optimism is wholly justified?

Finally, the 'tease'! Due to the (professional) nature of Jonathan France's operation, they have attracted the attention of more than one 'motor racing giant'. The ongoing discussions with one of them could result in a partnership which would 'blow the lid off the LMP2 grid for the start of the 2007 season'.
What on earth is that all about..........??

It's a fascinating and undeniably intriguing project. Embassy Racing are a fantastic outfit, hugely ambitious and a most welcome addition to ACO rules racing. But, when I look at what they're up against, I have nagging doubts about the potential of this package (and I suspect I'm not alone!). With that said, I wish them all the luck in the world. I really do want to be proved wrong!

Last edited by Bentley03; 26 Jan 2007 at 10:13. Reason: Bad grammar!
Old 26 Jan 2007, 10:34 (Ref:1826287)   #13
old man
Veteran

England
UK
I think your analysis is very good Mr Bentley and my own thought was why the the Pilbeam and not the Lola or Porsche, I don't feel I know enough about the technical differences but as an old enthusiast I would have gone for proven tackle provided that money was not the main consideration. With the drivers and engineer that JF has recruited he will soon be told if the machinery is not up to par but Warren and Neil are both pro's who will say the right thing to the media. Do we know anything about tyres, what would be best anyway? JF learned the hard way that pay drivers are not a good bet and has hired a very good crew, I just hope he has the backing to finish what he has started here because it is not going to be an easy season
Old 26 Jan 2007, 10:36 (Ref:1826289)   #14
Ranald
Racer

England
Oxford
Ranald should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I must say I share your views Bentley03 however much I want them to succeed. I think there is alot hanging on this potential partnership France spoke about.
Old 26 Jan 2007, 11:03 (Ref:1826314)   #15
Ranald
Racer

England
Oxford
Ranald should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There is a competition with the ultimate prize of test driving Embasseys Pilbeam here: http://www.crash.net/news_View~t~Cou...~id~142453.htm

Bloody good competition, £120 though.
Old 26 Jan 2007, 11:24 (Ref:1826340)   #16
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man
........I just hope he has the backing to finish what he has started here because it is not going to be an easy season
I quite agree, it's going to be a very steep learning curve. But there's no doubt that Jonathan has brought the right people on board to give the team every chance of success. It's just those nagging doubts in other areas I referred to previously.

I had another thought which I failed to mention in my previous post. Le Mans. The announcement said that the they had not applied for an invite to Le Mans. Another decision which I find just a little strange. Unless they have no ambition to race at Le Mans at some point in the future, why didn't they apply? I would advise any privateer team with ambitions to race at Le Mans to apply, even if it's just to put themselves on the radar. Funding comes more easily to teams with Le Mans invites, and even if their application was turned down for 2007, they've lost nothing by applying. Then add into the equation the absence of Porsche and Acura at Le Mans this year, surely the toughest competition they are likely to encounter in LMP2, and a good result (even a podium) is not beyond the realms of possibility. I believe they've missed a trick there. Making headlines (for the right reasons) at Le Mans in 2008 looks to be a far tougher challenge than it does for 2007. Just look at what Bill Binnie and his team achieved in 2006.
Old 26 Jan 2007, 12:17 (Ref:1826392)   #17
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Perhaps the 'major player' who might be involved does not want to compete at lemans this year. I suspect there is a lot more to this than has been announced already
Old 28 Jan 2007, 02:22 (Ref:1827560)   #18
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by old man
McQueen was an an engineer on the Totota sports car that never raced, see thread "sportscars that never raced" and Autosport article on same subject. He is a v good engineer and probably as good if not better than Mike Pilbeam, it will be interesting to say the least!!!
If you dip back even further, Macqueen was Chief Engineer at TWR from 1985-1990 and then was involved with the Toyota Group C effort (TS010) before moving on to RTN and Bentley.
Old 28 Jan 2007, 03:51 (Ref:1827588)   #19
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Macqueen now works for RML the last time I heard of him.
Old 28 Jan 2007, 04:06 (Ref:1827590)   #20
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!MulsanneMike has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi
Macqueen now works for RML the last time I heard of him.
Worked for...
Old 28 Jan 2007, 07:27 (Ref:1827614)   #21
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Thanks for clarifying that for me Mike-show how little attention the Le Mans Series gets here in the states(and why forums like these exhist!). But I was trying to refer to the last place he worked before the Embassy deal. And the last I heard of him until now was in '05. That's what I meant, even though the words didn't come out right.

Last edited by chernaudi; 28 Jan 2007 at 07:30.
Old 28 Jan 2007, 14:46 (Ref:1827861)   #22
MulsanneMike
Veteran

United States
Actually he was with the JCB Dieselmax effort after RML. You should pay more attention to my site, ;0)
Old 28 Jan 2007, 21:26 (Ref:1828108)   #23
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Now that you say that, I remember him being attached to that program(I read that article too). It seems though that the Audi R10 and Peugeot 908 are the only diesel high proformace vehicles that get any press(I don't know why-the only thing that kept the Dieselmax from breaking 400mph is the tires that they used not really being capable of that sort of thing if I remember correctly).
Old 28 Jan 2007, 22:21 (Ref:1828169)   #24
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley03
I quite agree, it's going to be a very steep learning curve. But there's no doubt that Jonathan has brought the right people on board to give the team every chance of success. It's just those nagging doubts in other areas I referred to previously.

I had another thought which I failed to mention in my previous post. Le Mans. The announcement said that the they had not applied for an invite to Le Mans. Another decision which I find just a little strange. Unless they have no ambition to race at Le Mans at some point in the future, why didn't they apply? I would advise any privateer team with ambitions to race at Le Mans to apply, even if it's just to put themselves on the radar. Funding comes more easily to teams with Le Mans invites, and even if their application was turned down for 2007, they've lost nothing by applying. Then add into the equation the absence of Porsche and Acura at Le Mans this year, surely the toughest competition they are likely to encounter in LMP2, and a good result (even a podium) is not beyond the realms of possibility. I believe they've missed a trick there. Making headlines (for the right reasons) at Le Mans in 2008 looks to be a far tougher challenge than it does for 2007. Just look at what Bill Binnie and his team achieved in 2006.

I get the impression funding is not an issue and long term success is more important.

The only question mark is the chassis, but Embassy have the technical partners and driving squad to get the best out of the car.
Old 28 Jan 2007, 22:49 (Ref:1828180)   #25
thereal_tdb
Rookie

thereal_tdb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brave statements by all concerned IMHO!!

better to say 07 is a learning year!

Think there could be egg on some faces!

No doubt Jonathan will pour money in to try and get results, but i fear ego's are far bigger than ability!

That said, i hope i am wrong.

But, the RML car will for sure have a point to prove this year!
In a battle of cheque books, JF will lose!

A lot of luck may prove fruitfull!