Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 18 Mar 2013, 07:13 (Ref:3220371)   #51
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornetV8 View Post
Hotel and ticket sorted, looking forward to this and with the Euston Tap only an hours train ride away thats Friday afternoon sorted!

Any timetable out for this yet?
Keep an eye on the HSCC website for entry list and timetable. Although latter not on there yet, you can get an idea of which cars are running on what days by looking at the entry form. (Although not the order of races.)

Old 18 Mar 2013, 07:25 (Ref:3220375)   #52
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Alan Morgan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell View Post
Keep an eye on the HSCC website for entry list and timetable. Although latter not on there yet, you can get an idea of which cars are running on what days by looking at the entry form. (Although not the order of races.)

...I've told them to hang fire on publishing the entry list as we're expecting an additional Delta entry in the FF2000 race.
Old 18 Mar 2013, 07:45 (Ref:3220379)   #53
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
...I've told them to hang fire on publishing the entry list as we're expecting an additional Delta entry in the FF2000 race.
Still need a rear hub!
Old 18 Mar 2013, 09:13 (Ref:3220410)   #54
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
edit - wrong event!
Old 18 Mar 2013, 09:21 (Ref:3220419)   #55
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
edit - wrong event!
Err, that's Donington yesterday. Thought it looked familiar!

Old 19 Mar 2013, 17:55 (Ref:3221315)   #56
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Found provisional timetable HERE

I've never been to Thruxton, and wiser heads than mine have suggested it is not a circuit you want to race at without some previous testing or track time. I presume it is too late for any chance of that?

Yours faithfully

Aprehensive of Attleborough
Old 19 Mar 2013, 18:10 (Ref:3221317)   #57
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I've never been to Thruxton, and wiser heads than mine have suggested it is not a circuit you want to race at without some previous testing or track time. I presume it is too late for any chance of that?
Unfortunately, I think you may struggle. Thruxton's limited usage means that test days are few and far between.
Old 19 Mar 2013, 18:19 (Ref:3221329)   #58
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
Unfortunately, I think you may struggle. Thruxton's limited usage means that test days are few and far between.
Thanks for that. It confirms my 'fears'!

The alternative of course, would be to treat the event as testing and drive accordingly!

Old 19 Mar 2013, 18:35 (Ref:3221335)   #59
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Thanks for that. It confirms my 'fears'!

The alternative of course, would be to treat the event as testing and drive accordingly!

Have a word with Colin. He was telling me at the weekend he is now an old hand at the circuit, though had some reservations about how well the track time experience might relate to the world of racing.

(Or at least I think that was what he said. Just remember that all the curves (well, nearly all) are left handers and the circuit is 10 times longer than advertised.)
Old 19 Mar 2013, 18:43 (Ref:3221340)   #60
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Traditionally racers have booked into the racing school and done one of their "experience" activities.
Old 19 Mar 2013, 18:52 (Ref:3221345)   #61
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
Traditionally racers have booked into the racing school and done one of their "experience" activities.
Yes. Unfortunately early in the season and there aren't any more before Easter except 'Junior'.......

Old 19 Mar 2013, 19:07 (Ref:3221350)   #62
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike - it is quite a challenging circuit and takes some getting used to.

Some time spent on YouTube would be worth the investment, at least you'll get an idea about the sequence of the bends.
Old 19 Mar 2013, 19:15 (Ref:3221354)   #63
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian A View Post
Mike - it is quite a challenging circuit and takes some getting used to.

Some time spent on YouTube would be worth the investment, at least you'll get an idea about the sequence of the bends.
Thanks Brian. I've found an in car Radical enduro on YouTube! Just have to turn the volume down a bit....
Old 19 Mar 2013, 19:29 (Ref:3221361)   #64
Alan Morgan
Veteran

Mike - have a word with Iain, but I'd stick a load of downforce on the car and use it as a learning experience. I believe Bill Coombs is doing a track walk with the FF1600 guys, it might be possible to join them. Failing that, Antony Raine will be at our paddock social on Saturday evening. He's an instructor at Thruxton and should be able to give you some pointers.
Old 19 Mar 2013, 19:53 (Ref:3221371)   #65
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
it is not a circuit you want to race at without some previous testing or track time.
It's easy Mike, right foot hard to the floor except when braking "f-hard" for the chicane and complex. The rest is virtually all right hand down and hang on for dear life and pray that your gonads are bigger than those around you. Should you go off, deploy your parachute before getting to the far side of "the meadows"

A quote from a Thruxton post chief's (Norbert) signature. "Post 12 (Goodwood Exit) - Where marshals stand and spectating drivers quiver!"

Useful info
Old 19 Mar 2013, 20:13 (Ref:3221378)   #66
Alan Morgan
Veteran

The link that Chigley posted is excellent - it covers all the important points for a first-timer.

...apparently, Jochen Rindt took the back flat in an F2 with no wings in 1968

Maybe wait until your third or fourth lap Mike
Old 19 Mar 2013, 20:32 (Ref:3221388)   #67
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definitely not an old hand unless you count a dozen laps in a diesel repmobile so if I offer advice, don't listen!
Old 19 Mar 2013, 20:35 (Ref:3221390)   #68
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Morgan View Post
The link that Chigley posted is excellent - it covers all the important points for a first-timer.

...apparently, Jochen Rindt took the back flat in an F2 with no wings in 1968

Maybe wait until your third or fourth lap Mike
I've just been watching in car Radical- virtually flat for whole lap, so if JR was doing that in 1968 with no downforce or slicks..........

HELP!

Colin, if there is a race for diesel rep-mobiles I'm in.
Old 19 Mar 2013, 20:57 (Ref:3221401)   #69
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Keep turning right, hang on, avoid Andover and brake twice. Easy peasy.
Old 19 Mar 2013, 21:21 (Ref:3221409)   #70
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Found provisional timetable HERE
No Derek Bell Trophy F2/F5000 ??
Old 19 Mar 2013, 22:35 (Ref:3221439)   #71
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Friel View Post
Keep turning right, hang on, avoid Andover and brake twice. Easy peasy.

I've raced there a few times over the years, and also did a couple of driving experience days. I raced Thundersports there, had a HUGE spin in the the S2000 at Church when I tried to do what Dan suggested and ran out of talent.....

A mate of mine in an MG Midget went off there and flew over the top of a ditch, took ages to get him back
Old 19 Mar 2013, 22:56 (Ref:3221453)   #72
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
dikko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Had a word with the man and it's not just HFF's for a little tuition on Friday afternoon, (Scrutineers Bay 3 pm please) courtesy of the circuits manager Pat Blakeney. See his mention on the HFF section. The fee is a donation to Helicoptor Ambulance. Nothing too posh mind, a few mini-bus rides round explaining where everything is.
The advice I was given from a marshall on our first visit there was "When you see a tree on a bend, floor it..." It was quite good advice actually....as long as the tree is still there..

It is a very different circuit depending which car you drive...you can't see the bends on the 'Straight' due to the rise and falls of the surface in a FF, hold it down and hope... You will enjoy..
Old 19 Mar 2013, 23:15 (Ref:3221460)   #73
jhh911
Rookie

United Kingdom
cawood uk
jhh911 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mike,It is very easy to learn as most of it is just flat, at least it was in FF1600.Slicks and wings should be less of a challenge+I understand they have removed the hump at Church,so less chance of hitting the Marshalls post now.Of course its going to be raining for that extra challenge.Enjoy!
Old 20 Mar 2013, 00:48 (Ref:3221492)   #74
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
as long as the tree is still there..
Unfortunately the tree at Noble has gone and the armco moved back, so it appears faster but it's still the same circuit. If you are going quick enough you can go off at Noble and rejoin from behind the posts at Goodwood but by then you have probably lost your wheels, suspension, drive shafts, sump and exhausts. It's a hairy ride, good fun to watch though.
Old 20 Mar 2013, 03:59 (Ref:3221524)   #75
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's about the only place I've been where you find yourself fighting oversteer in top for 75% of the lap.