Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 19 Mar 2013, 11:56 (Ref:3221126)   #1
Brian A
Racer

England
Sunny West Sussex
Brian A should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Goodwood Revival 2013

Well, the invitations have started to go out for this year's meeting on the 13th to 15th September.

As already announced, the Whitsun Trophy is for GT40s, and with the normal rotation, the St Mary's Trophy is for 1960-66 Touring Cars and the Chichester Cup for FJs is for the rear engined drum braked cars.

Sunday's Fordwater Trophy is for sports and GTs from '55 to '60 and Saturday's Madgewick Cup is for Sports Racing cars under 2 litres that raced between 1948 and 1955.

The featured tribute is to Jim Clark and there is to be a special track demonstration celebrating the Tour de France bicycle races - Bradley style side burns will be de rigeur.....
Old 19 Mar 2013, 12:32 (Ref:3221138)   #2
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
It seemed to me a good opportunity to acknowledge the 50th Anniversary of Jack Sears winning the BSCC, all 3 cars he used in doing so are eligible for the St Marys Trophy.

Fordwater Trophy isone of my favourites . . . THey should do 2 every year there are so many different cars to choose from from the 50's and early 60's.
Old 19 Mar 2013, 13:17 (Ref:3221165)   #3
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zefarelly View Post
It seemed to me a good opportunity to acknowledge the 50th Anniversary of Jack Sears winning the BSCC, all 3 cars he used in doing so are eligible for the St Marys Trophy.

Fordwater Trophy isone of my favourites . . . THey should do 2 every year there are so many different cars to choose from from the 50's and early 60's.

Yes to that. I've mentioned my 1959 Morgan but it is probably a very long shot!

Old 19 Mar 2013, 14:04 (Ref:3221198)   #4
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
agree with Zef - taking clients on Friday as usual and as always looking forward to it. Classic day out.
Old 19 Mar 2013, 21:57 (Ref:3221422)   #5
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!john ruston has a real shot at the podium!
I have entered a rally in France/Spain that week so had more than enough excitement at Goodwood last year.

That Alfa Saloon would be good for the Saloon race.
Old 20 Mar 2013, 09:00 (Ref:3221580)   #6
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!zefarelly has a real shot at the podium!
a Giulia Ti super raced at Goodwood in '64, driven by a Mick Cave. never seen any proof of GTA's and BMW's ever competing there.
Old 20 Mar 2013, 09:50 (Ref:3221609)   #7
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
there was a white Ti Super advertised about a year ago which had period UK race history. Great to see them out as with other period cars they will never be front runners but nevertheless period correct. Is the media daytoday just for FoS or for the Revival as well?
Old 20 Mar 2013, 12:25 (Ref:3221682)   #8
Rudernst
Veteran

Germany
Hamburg
Rudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRudernst should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
yes, the invites are going out

I have juuuust received mine for Madgwick Cup and Chichester Cup.

Rudolf
Old 20 Mar 2013, 12:43 (Ref:3221696)   #9
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I gather this years plan is for everyone to be invited and to be sorted before the FoS . . .thereby making a smooth transition from one event to another. . . .

Our postman delivered a £200 speeding fine this morning ( teach me to argue with them) fortunately it was delivered with another envelope from Chi
Old 21 Mar 2013, 10:26 (Ref:3222214)   #10
Ben Shuckburgh
Racer

Ben Shuckburgh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon drabble View Post
there was a white Ti Super advertised about a year ago which had period UK race history. Great to see them out as with other period cars they will never be front runners but nevertheless period correct. Is the media daytoday just for FoS or for the Revival as well?
Looks like there will be at least one Super racing there this year...

See you out there Joe!
Old 21 Mar 2013, 16:08 (Ref:3222349)   #11
simon drabble
Veteran

Ben your Super was in 99 Revival... I gather you have been getting some secret testing in......
Old 21 Mar 2013, 17:18 (Ref:3222381)   #12
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
Testing? that's cheating!!!!
Old 21 Mar 2013, 17:53 (Ref:3222391)   #13
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Yes that's not cricket old boy !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 21 Mar 2013, 17:59 (Ref:3222393)   #14
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian A View Post
and there is to be a special track demonstration celebrating the Tour de France bicycle races - Bradley style side burns will be de rigeur.....
Interesting to see how they handle that Mr Armstrong fella, or is this celebration of Tour de France of the period?

I'll make a start on my "Bradley's" now - should be ready by the time we get to the Revival
Old 21 Mar 2013, 20:22 (Ref:3222458)   #15
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
It seemed to me a good opportunity to acknowledge the 50th Anniversary of Jack Sears winning the BSCC, all 3 cars he used in doing so are eligible for the St Marys Trophy..
Jack was at Donington today, for the BTCC Media Day and recalled his 1963 Championship win in the Mustang, afterwards, I told him that I probably the only person there who witnessed his first title win at Brands Hatch, when he beat Tommy Sopwith in a couple of match races in what were supposed to be identical works prepared 1.5 Rileys. He told me that one was actually faster than the other, and Sopwith elected to drive the faster one first, and won the first race. Jack then explained that he was able to beat Tommy by just enough to take the win on combined times. At 83 he is still very lively, and recalled so much detail about the day,and had driven to the circuit from Norfolk in his current Mustang.

A very nice chap indeed.
Old 22 Mar 2013, 07:48 (Ref:3222583)   #16
zefarelly
Veteran

European Union
I haven't had the pleasure myself.

DO you mean Galaxy?

In '63 he got 4 class wins in a Cortina GT, 2 with a Galaxy and a few races with an LC late on . . .
Old 22 Mar 2013, 09:28 (Ref:3222613)   #17
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I haven't had the pleasure myself.

DO you mean Galaxy?

In '63 he got 4 class wins in a Cortina GT, 2 with a Galaxy and a few races with an LC late on . . .
Well spotted Zef, just checking you were all awake.
Old 22 Mar 2013, 11:10 (Ref:3222654)   #18
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Jack was at Donington today, for the BTCC Media Day and recalled his 1963 Championship win in the Mustang, afterwards, I told him that I probably the only person there who witnessed his first title win at Brands Hatch, when he beat Tommy Sopwith in a couple of match races in what were supposed to be identical works prepared 1.5 Rileys. He told me that one was actually faster than the other, and Sopwith elected to drive the faster one first, and won the first race. Jack then explained that he was able to beat Tommy by just enough to take the win on combined times. At 83 he is still very lively, and recalled so much detail about the day,and had driven to the circuit from Norfolk in his current Mustang.

A very nice chap indeed.

Not hard to realize where the name came from,same goes for Jacks off spring.
In pride of place in the house I have a signed montage of Best of Eight,cant remember who the artist was though A pressie from Jack for doing the 250 GTO.
Old 22 Mar 2013, 15:04 (Ref:3222809)   #19
gt917
Veteran

United Kingdom
Suffolk
gt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgt917 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jack Sears is a regular at the FORC events and talk to him most times. He has often driven his original "race winning, road legal Galaxy" to some of the FORC events we have had at Snetterton, as he farms up the road a bit in deepest Norfolk.
Old 22 Mar 2013, 22:43 (Ref:3223026)   #20
Ben Shuckburgh
Racer

Ben Shuckburgh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It's a lie guvna.......she's been tucked up in her shed since last August!
Old 25 Mar 2013, 18:51 (Ref:3224583)   #21
SZRacer
Racer

England
North Cotswolds
SZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSZRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In theory the Fordwater should be 'my' era this year. Will just have to keep my fingers (and everything else) crossed that I get another entry this year.

We shall see - I think I made it in last time by the skin of my teeth.
Old 26 Mar 2013, 18:31 (Ref:3225154)   #22
Racesport
Rookie

Italy
Milano, Itlay
Racesport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have just received my invitation for the Chichester Cup with my Wainer FJ!
I'm really happy: the Revival is simply the best!!
Old 27 Mar 2013, 22:26 (Ref:3225759)   #23
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Without wishing to take this thread off topic but given some of the preceding posts, this '62 Anglia TV interview by Jack Sears may be of interest:

http://www.eafa.org.uk/catalogue/88481
Old 28 Mar 2013, 06:34 (Ref:3225871)   #24
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
Without wishing to take this thread off topic but given some of the preceding posts, this '62 Anglia TV interview by Jack Sears may be of interest:
Feel free- far more interesting! Two legends talking there- the late Dick Joice as much of one in local broadcasting as Jack was / is in racing circles. And am sure the latter would still complain if given a plastic tea spoon........
Old 28 Mar 2013, 09:05 (Ref:3225909)   #25
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fcf View Post
Interesting to see how they handle that Mr Armstrong fella, or is this celebration of Tour de France of the period?

I'll make a start on my "Bradley's" now - should be ready by the time we get to the Revival
Quite apt, as I remember going to watch a mass start road race at Goodwood in the late fiities (maybe very early sixties) Organised by the Bec Cycling Club. The cyclists raced anti clockwise for some reason, a good friend was in the entry which why I was there all the way from Barnet.

Anybody else there for the first 9 Hour?
bob.