Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Oct 2017, 17:47 (Ref:3773730)   #51
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Lol

You turn away Gilles, Ronnie and a few others who actually could have won championships driving in the ways you says they cant, but did not, mainly because of a sense of duty and team play.

Yet you pick a guy who only had one shot and blew it!

I do wonder about some peoples perceptions of what it takes to win a title or be a great I really do.

Do you like sportscars by any chance, that may explain the Ickx infatuation? Which is fair enough
No need to be sarky or rude my dear chap - I just have a different view to your own, and I think a sustainable one. I am not 'infatuated' by Ickx (nor any other driver ) nor am I an especial sports car fan. I think my argument is reasonable and informed a little by the fact that I saw all the drivers from trackside in Grands Prix except Moss and Elford.

I stand by my Villeneuve view - and that puts me in a minority I know. He made far too many mistakes and lived in the moment even if on his day he was sublime. The Jimi Hendrix of drivers .

But let's remember this is all just idle opinion expressed by one anorak to another , and not an assertion of fact. So lets play nicely eh ?
Old 12 Oct 2017, 09:40 (Ref:3773834)   #52
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There was hardly anything nasty in there, merely a shock of rating one driver over another, when the tide is heavily not on your favour.

Gilles I think in the right car would have been perfectly boring and monotonous at winning!! But he never really had that privilege, not until 82, even in 79 he had to work like hell and those cars were evil anyway!

I think my views of Ickx have been tainted by his opinions I have seen in interviews, wasn't he very critical of Jackie on his safety crusade? Something I personally think is rather ill judged at best. When he probably benefitted from it in later years
Old 12 Oct 2017, 09:58 (Ref:3773838)   #53
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Ickx admitted he didn't really think about racing away from the track and so that's probably why he never quite reached the highs he did early in his F1 career later on. Probably his best race was the 1974 Race of Champions, proving his wet weather skills again
Old 12 Oct 2017, 12:04 (Ref:3773849)   #54
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I think that there are drivers who would certainly not have been unworthy champions if the luck had run their way - off the top of my head, Ickx, Peterson, Reutemann, Pironi, Barrichello. Maybe Alboreto. But I will go in to bat for Tony Brooks, a genuinely world-class driver with talent to spare.
Old 12 Oct 2017, 23:49 (Ref:3773936)   #55
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Ickx admitted he didn't really think about racing away from the track and so that's probably why he never quite reached the highs he did early in his F1 career later on. Probably his best race was the 1974 Race of Champions, proving his wet weather skills again
That was my third ever F1 race and remember it pretty well, especially Ickx overtaking Lauda round the outside of Paddock, which I saw as my seat was in the main stand. That's got to be one of the best moves ever.

I found these b/w highlights, with French commentary; prendre plaisir!

https://youtu.be/AVCM8lu5eow