Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 21 Jun 2007, 21:20 (Ref:1943717)   #1
Gavinm
Rookie

United Kingdom
Gavinm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Modsports & Special Saloons - Lotus Elan

Hi

I'm new to the site and am trying to source the history of my modsports Lotus Elan (last run by Mark Campbell around 2001- his old Elan not the newer one) which I have had for a year or so now

I'm just about to embark on a full rebuild but need to access the old modsports and special saloon regs of the late 70's and early 80's to make sure I stay in class.

Was it the BRSCC who ran the Modsports series.

I suspect that my car originally ran in modsports but may have been subsequently entered in a special saloon class because I understand Mark ran a BDG in it rather than a twincam. I am keen to trace the history of the car (and if I can work out how to download a photo -will do so).

Is there anyone out there who can assist with either the regs or history please?

many thanks

Gavin
Old 21 Jun 2007, 21:29 (Ref:1943720)   #2
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Was that the red one or the blue one? I think my Dad raced against him in the blue 1 now and again and it was blindingly quick, took the fight to Tony Sugden's Skoda.
Old 22 Jun 2007, 05:20 (Ref:1943911)   #3
Gavinm
Rookie

United Kingdom
The car is currently red but I cant tell if this was the original colour.

If you can give me a steer as to how to download a photo, I'll show one.

Thanks

Gavin
Old 24 Jun 2007, 11:53 (Ref:1945463)   #4
big andy
Veteran

United Kingdom
doncaster
big andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbig andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
gavin
currently in the uk there is no classic modsport/special saloon racing hence there is very few place you can race cars like this, sports saloon racers are the only real places left the n/w sports saloon is probably the best place to race it there is no real point in trying to rebuild it to period spec as the regs for this type of racing are pretty free is did you buy the car from martin brockhouse
Old 24 Jun 2007, 19:50 (Ref:1945687)   #5
Gavinm
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hi Andy

I got the car from Steve Davies who was breaking it. The limited paperwork which came with it indicated Mark Campbell as the driver having some success in 2001 in the Northern Sports & Saloon Championship. I think he has since built a new version of the Elan after selling this one.

Thanks for the advice on championships. My plan is to start hill climbing it until I'm used to it. I would run in the sports libre class which has a Special Saloons category. Based on what I know of the car, I presume I could use the regs as they stood in 2001 (if I could source a set).

In rebuilding the car, I would like to have completely removable bodywork (including the cockpit) but I don't know whether this would be legal. Hence my search for regs.

I think I need a chat with Mark Campbell to see if he was the last driver and if so, what regs he was following. Have you come across him perchance?

Thanks
Gavin
Old 25 Jun 2007, 10:42 (Ref:1946183)   #6
driftwood
Veteran

driftwood has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If the elan race dwith BDg it was likley to have raced in northern sports & GT series or going further back Donington GT series
you really need to find out who the previous owners where of the Elan and look for different colour paint on the car
there where half a dozen or more elans racing in Modpsorts in the 70`s then most went into Donington GT when Modsports died off
when donington GT`s finished late 1980`s the cars drifted into Castle coombe Pembrey and Oulton sports GT races
Old 26 Jun 2007, 09:08 (Ref:1947065)   #7
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dad raced what I think was a Modsports Elan for Victor Raysbrook in the '70s. There a few pictures and stories in OHFTB which I haven't got to hand at work unfortunately!!
Old 26 Jun 2007, 17:48 (Ref:1947461)   #8
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Louth.Thats the one near Cadwell
COLIN STUBBS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gregor youve had me rummaging about through a box of old pics. Heres the VRM Elan after an altercation with the long gone "Motorcycling" bridge at Hall bends Cadwell in July 72. Think Dave Brodie was driving it at the time....

Old 26 Jun 2007, 18:03 (Ref:1947471)   #9
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Louth.Thats the one near Cadwell
COLIN STUBBS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And way off topic but from the same meeting and I know youll like it so Ill post it anyway....

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...ycadwell72.jpg
Old 27 Jun 2007, 09:02 (Ref:1947927)   #10
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by COLIN STUBBS
Gregor youve had me rummaging about through a box of old pics. Heres the VRM Elan after an altercation with the long gone "Motorcycling" bridge at Hall bends Cadwell in July 72. Think Dave Brodie was driving it at the time....

That's the one! I think every time Dad raced it he started from pole and led every lap until it retired for a number of differant reasons, a bit like when he drove the Formula Ford Lotus 61L for Victor too.

Thinking about it it was the same with the ex-Bond/Rouse/Hall Lotus Espirit he raced and the BarMoCo Elan "BAR1" he raced too!! He did win a couple of races in them but not as many as he should have, maybe Lotus was an unlucky marque for him!!
Old 27 Jun 2007, 09:03 (Ref:1947928)   #11
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by COLIN STUBBS
And way off topic but from the same meeting and I know youll like it so Ill post it anyway....

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/b...ycadwell72.jpg
Great picture Colin, thanks. I thought my race car rolled a lot but it looks like Old Nail did at the beginning too, even with the F1 wheels and tyres!!
Old 30 Jun 2007, 08:26 (Ref:1950295)   #12
GBRM
Veteran

England
Here's Dad in the Elan

Old 1 Jul 2007, 19:25 (Ref:1951691)   #13
petestenning
Veteran

petestenning should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRM
Dad raced what I think was a Modsports Elan for Victor Raysbrook in the '70s. There a few pictures and stories in OHFTB which I haven't got to hand at work unfortunately!!
I remember the VRM Elan Gerry would leave the startline at Snett and after a few yards would be waving the gearstick in his hand, and i dont think this only happened to the VRM Elan either. i am sur i have seen this happen to other Elans.

I wont mention the road cars i have driven, with how shall i say free floating gear levers .

I also saw the Lotus 61, for a big guy he was competetive even in a FF1600

Pete
Old 4 Jul 2007, 07:19 (Ref:1953929)   #14
markal
Rookie

United Kingdom
Lancs
markal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Vrm Elan was also raced by John (plastic) Pearson in 1973, won the Blue Circle modified sports car race at Thruxton Oct 28, sadly Brian Hough racing a Tvr Tuscan, was killed at Kimpton bend in the same race, regards Alan.
Old 4 Jul 2007, 13:22 (Ref:1954228)   #15
Gerry Taylor
Veteran

Gerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGerry Taylor should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi Alan, thanks for the e-mail. I shall reply to you.
Gerry.
Old 6 Jul 2007, 12:31 (Ref:1956104)   #16
driftwood
Veteran

John plastic pearson in the jag xk120 car
i think BBC filmed a modsports race at thruxton with him winning?
i beleive the car stillexists and was rebuilt few yrs ago
i recall classic & sports car mag artciie on it
please correct me if im
a wrong
b senile
c dillusiuonal
or all of the above
Old 17 Jul 2007, 17:37 (Ref:1965916)   #17
markal
Rookie

United Kingdom
Lancs
WOW, has anyone got a copy of the film, or the magazine article? would love to see them, have been looking for Modsports films for years, nothing, somebody must have filmed them, John Fletcher has still got the Modsports Elan, i have been looking for John (plastic) Pearson for some time, my hero was Brian Hough Tvr Tuscan 5.4ltr, great days, regards Alan.
Old 17 Jul 2007, 17:43 (Ref:1965920)   #18
driftwood
Veteran

Jon Fletchers elan is meant to be originally a 26R that he converted to modsports car
Old 17 Jul 2007, 17:50 (Ref:1965926)   #19
markal
Rookie

United Kingdom
Lancs
John still got it, i will find out if it was a 26R, needs restoring, he lives round the corner from me.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 21:14 (Ref:2430887)   #20
bigvalvehead
Rookie

Wales
cardiff
bigvalvehead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jon Fletchers Elan

Hi all
Jon Fletchers Elan is a genuine 26R and he has rebuilt it back to its original spec. I used to race in the early 70's in an elan and Jon was always only too pleased to help anyone. I spoke to him a few weeks back and he tells me he is thinking of applying for his race licence again.
Dave
Elan 26R