Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Jul 2011, 19:44 (Ref:2929546)   #1
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Nine teams fall foul of FIA Fashion Police?

Quote:
Originally Posted by @willbuxton

Massive controversy in Germany. 10 teams in contravention of FIA regulations. So far only Lotus and HRT are legal (I think). No joke.

---

Just heard from @marussiavirgin that they are also legal. MASSIVE! So 3 teams legal.

---

The issue, incredibly, is driver overalls. FIA compliance must be stitched to collars. Screen prints are thus illegal.

---

Even stitching a patch to the collar apparently will not suffice according to sources tonight. I know this seems crazy. Crazy but true.
Will they be able to get replacement racesuits on time? What even is the penalty?
Old 21 Jul 2011, 19:56 (Ref:2929550)   #2
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FFS! This is exactly the problem with needless, stupid regulations. Who really cares if the FIA compliance is stitched on or not?! The sport just gets stupider and stupider.
Old 21 Jul 2011, 19:58 (Ref:2929551)   #3
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
when they clamp down on it in non-f1 stuff you're not allowed to race till you go shopping and get your credit card out.

don't see the problem in not complying. the rules are very obvious, seems like the companies themselves have dropped the ball, not the teams.

and why is enforcing a rule regarding safety equipment "needless" and "stupid"? it's a rule for a reason.
Old 21 Jul 2011, 20:44 (Ref:2929573)   #4
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
.......it's a rule for a reason.
and that's why this country is in such a state; there are many many rules and laws and edicts that are *not* for any good reason.
Old 21 Jul 2011, 20:47 (Ref:2929576)   #5
Jamesy-18
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire
Jamesy-18 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
when they clamp down on it in non-f1 stuff you're not allowed to race till you go shopping and get your credit card out.

don't see the problem in not complying. the rules are very obvious, seems like the companies themselves have dropped the ball, not the teams.

and why is enforcing a rule regarding safety equipment "needless" and "stupid"? it's a rule for a reason.
Because if they have the correct fire proof clothing etc, what difference does it make if there isn't an FIA badge on it or whatever? It's not like they're in danger.

Stupid, stupid, stupid FIA.

When will this sport start to become a sport again and not a farce?
Old 21 Jul 2011, 21:04 (Ref:2929582)   #6
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
When fans stop looking into F1 in every little tiny detail to try and find controversies that aren't controversies

Nothing will come from this. It's a wind-up - it's probably be true but it doesn't matter. Will's just taking advantage of the fact that people eat this sort of thing up to have an excuse to get angry
Old 21 Jul 2011, 21:17 (Ref:2929594)   #7
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post
Because if they have the correct fire proof clothing etc, what difference does it make if there isn't an FIA badge on it or whatever? It's not like they're in danger.

Who says they are not in danger. If you can't trust certification stickers/labels, then people might be in danger.

This reminds me of the same thing that happened here in the US with the SFI Foundation and Impact Racing (Bill Simpson) about a year ago or so. If I remember correctly, while his product had been certified by SFI, I think he was creating his own labels instead of sourcing them from SFI.

While I think organizations like SFI and Snell sell the labels/patches/etc. as their method of funding, there is also the issue of authenticity. As soon as you let people start to print their own stickers, patches, etc. then the concept of an official certification label or patch becomes meaningless. With FIA, I am sure it's not about money, but control.
Old 21 Jul 2011, 21:21 (Ref:2929597)   #8
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I remember hearing about pony racesuits in Australia causing some V8 Supercar drivers to have to use plain white racesuits.
Old 21 Jul 2011, 22:04 (Ref:2929611)   #9
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
I remember hearing about pony racesuits in Australia causing some V8 Supercar drivers to have to use plain white racesuits.
Well and that's exactly the reason why the FIA info needs to be on the suit.

Sorry but in my view, the rules do need to be strictly enforced.
Old 21 Jul 2011, 22:34 (Ref:2929628)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This is ridiculous. This madness needs to stop before someone is hurt. Do they really care about the fans? 100% not. Wibble. I blame the parents.
Old 21 Jul 2011, 22:52 (Ref:2929638)   #11
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Who is this idiot Will Buxton describing this repeatedly as "Massive"?

Not really massive but the suits need to be right and I would imagine that teams and their suppliers have embroiderers on their way or already at the track getting this sorted out.

I would think that the manufacturers will be able to show compliance in all other regards so it is time for needles and thread.

The issue mentioned with the suits in Australia was (allegedly) one manufacturer or supplier using incorrect certification numbers in their suits - was talk of forged numbers or them using someone else's numbers at the time but in all honesty I can't recall how it ended up except that some of the drivers did indeed race that weekend with unbranded but correctly certified suits.
Old 22 Jul 2011, 12:26 (Ref:2929773)   #12
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesy-18 View Post

Because if there isn't a badge on it of the correct certification, then it ISN'T the correct fire proof suit. Simples.

Same with seat belts (in road cars as well I believe).

It's the proof that the suit (or equipment) meets the required standards.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 22 Jul 2011, 13:09 (Ref:2929784)   #13
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
This is ridiculous. This madness needs to stop before someone is hurt. Do they really care about the fans? 100% not. Wibble. I blame the parents.
You forgot something.

Won't somebody think of the children!!
Old 22 Jul 2011, 13:33 (Ref:2929788)   #14
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If my race suit isn't labelled properly, I don't get to race. I'm glad it isn't any different in F1 (although I doubt Sparco would get it sorted in a few hours for me for no cost!). There are legal and common sense requirements in having the correct labelling in place.

This is just stupid reporting rather than a stupid rule. I'm sure, per race weekend, there are hundreds of "please sort this" requests between the scrutineers and officials and the teams.
Old 22 Jul 2011, 14:03 (Ref:2929795)   #15
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
he was being sarcastic, albeit about a genuine issue. sadly for some, they didn't quite understand his tone but what is interesting is peoples inabilities to interpret genuine rules there for a reason, and rules there to manipulate the competitors and govern the type of cars they can compete with.

there was a similar clampdown by the fia at the f3 masters about 7 years ago when half the field had to go shopping because they didn't have the right fireproof shirts on underneath their overalls. it's nice to see they're strict to the letter of the law about safety equipment from the top to the bottom, frankly.
Old 22 Jul 2011, 14:17 (Ref:2929801)   #16
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tristancliffe View Post
If my race suit isn't labelled properly, I don't get to race. I'm glad it isn't any different in F1 (although I doubt Sparco would get it sorted in a few hours for me for no cost!). There are legal and common sense requirements in having the correct labelling in place.

This is just stupid reporting rather than a stupid rule. I'm sure, per race weekend, there are hundreds of "please sort this" requests between the scrutineers and officials and the teams.
Tristan's right. And if you need more convincing, go ask this guy if he thinks it's a good idea to be 100% sure everybody's wearing the right kit...

Old 22 Jul 2011, 16:44 (Ref:2929847)   #17
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
and that's why this country is in such a state; there are many many rules and laws and edicts that are *not* for any good reason.
I thought this country was in a state because so many bankers had been ignoring any silly rules and edicts they choose to ignore and then the whole pile came crashing down on them when it turned out these rules and edicts were there for a reason...

But then comments from either of us on the 'state of the nation' in a thread about safety clothing is probably off topic...

Last edited by ChrisPage; 22 Jul 2011 at 16:52.
Old 22 Jul 2011, 16:52 (Ref:2929852)   #18
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1ackcr0w View Post
Tristan's right. And if you need more convincing, go ask this guy if he thinks it's a good idea to be 100% sure everybody's wearing the right kit...

Lauda pic removed so as not to have it repeatedly pop up!
Yes, this. 100%.

The label says it has met the regulations and comes from an approved source. Anyone can screen print on a label stating 'this suit passes all the tests honest guv' - but the official labels are just that - official.

As also suggested above however, I suspect this is slightly more than just about F1 (trhough the rule is fair IMHO).

Every club racer/sprinter/competitor gets their label checked. Every time. If it ain't right you don't race. And you are talking about a serious financial hit if a club racer loses his entry for that.

Scrutineers don't have the most glamourous jobs, but it is essential. The last thing they need is every club racer turning up with cheap screen printed gear and then spending half an hour arguing the toss about 'well the F1 boys do it so why are you wasting my entry fee Mr Jobsworth'.

Well, from an F1 Grand Prix down to a club level sprint its so you have the best chance of getting out your burning car and still keeping your skin.
Old 22 Jul 2011, 19:53 (Ref:2929911)   #19
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
BTW do we have a qualified source for this story? - otherwise I suspect it's a troll !
Old 22 Jul 2011, 20:32 (Ref:2929921)   #20
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Autosport have reported that some teams had to change their suits, plus - as in my original post - SPEED's pit reporter Will Buxton on Twitter.
Old 22 Jul 2011, 23:27 (Ref:2929975)   #21
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But the issue was never that the suits were not labelled....just that the marking was printed not embroidered on.....

One question though....if it's SO important to have it embroidered not printed on.....why is it that in all the other GP's this year they have failed to pick this up...?
Old 22 Jul 2011, 23:34 (Ref:2929976)   #22
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Casto View Post
As soon as you let people start to print their own stickers, patches, etc. then the concept of an official certification label or patch becomes meaningless
And why is that any different to the manufacturers embroidering the details on the suits....?

If the FIA checked each suit and embroidered the info on afterwards to indicate compliance that would be a different matter...but that's not what goes on....

Truth is the markings are meaningless until the brown smelly stuff contacts the big whirly thing and you need the suit to protect you from fire...only then will you know if the labelling/embroidery on the suit is worth anything....
Old 23 Jul 2011, 00:32 (Ref:2929990)   #23
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
Autosport have reported that some teams had to change their suits, plus - as in my original post - SPEED's pit reporter Will Buxton on Twitter.
thanks for the extra info - never heard of him
Old 23 Jul 2011, 01:22 (Ref:2930000)   #24
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Because if there isn't a badge on it of the correct certification, then it ISN'T the correct fire proof suit. Simples.

Same with seat belts (in road cars as well I believe).

It's the proof that the suit (or equipment) meets the required standards.
Dead right!

Sadly some nitwit can always make something a little worse and a little cheaper until you have a genuine plastic firesuit made in ......with a forged label screen printed into the suit to save money. Good luck with that!

Quality costs money!

The official label is only issued to certified manufacturers, who incidentally have paid for the certification and the effort to ensure the necessary quality is maintained in their suits.

Failing which they are not issued with any further labels and their suits are no longer legal!

If you don't value the certification - wear a T-shirt if they will let you, no problem.
Old 23 Jul 2011, 02:10 (Ref:2930001)   #25
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnut View Post
Dead right!

Sadly some nitwit can always make something a little worse and a little cheaper until you have a genuine plastic firesuit made in ......with a forged label screen printed into the suit to save money. Good luck with that!

Quality costs money!

So the teams spend £50 million on KERS to go 4/10ths of a second faster, yet save themselves 50 quid by buying inferior race suits ?