Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Jul 2011, 03:04 (Ref:2930006)   #26
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
So the teams spend £50 million on KERS to go 4/10ths of a second faster, yet save themselves 50 quid by buying inferior race suits ?
Clearly not.

BUT

The point was made that the regulations go right down to club level.
It is a regulation period, and if the F1 guys start ignoring it sooner or later something stupid will pop up through the cracks. It is probably also a warning to all branches of the sport sanctioned by the FIA.

Another point to remember is that just because it costs a bunch doesn't necessarily mean its good quality, and just because the maker has printed FIA certified on a suit does not mean it is.
Old 23 Jul 2011, 08:19 (Ref:2930040)   #27
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
you seem to be missing the point that it is no more difficult to fake a sew-on label as it is to fake a screenprint or embroidery.
Old 23 Jul 2011, 09:06 (Ref:2930045)   #28
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGDavid View Post
you seem to be missing the point that it is no more difficult to fake a sew-on label as it is to fake a screenprint or embroidery.
My point entirely...
Old 23 Jul 2011, 10:06 (Ref:2930052)   #29
DX20VT
Racer

DX20VT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you will find that the embroidered label on a multi-layered fireproof suit is not embroidered through all the layers,

which means the only time that the label can be added is at the time of manufacture before all the layers are stiched together,

which then prevents someone buying a a non-complying suit and then adding some label afterwards.

So an embroidered in label is way harder to fake than a screen print.
Old 23 Jul 2011, 13:35 (Ref:2930119)   #30
Hubble
Veteran

England
Bishops Stortford, Herts
Hubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHubble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You're still missing the point though.....

A suit manufacturer could embroider the markings on the base pattern materials....then make the suit....so it would be done in the correct way, and would - to all intents and purposes - look the part....but it still wouldn't necessarily meet the regulations....

It's the design, materials and construction that make the suit what it is....nothing else

And the only real way to verify that is by testing it
Old 23 Jul 2011, 16:32 (Ref:2930151)   #31
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
another way of putting it:
the whole labelling thing is a house of cards relying on the trust and integrity of the manufacturers.
Old 23 Jul 2011, 16:37 (Ref:2930153)   #32
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Sewn label or screen printed, i can't see the likes of Sparco or Alpine Stars etc giving F1 teams inferior equipment.
Old 24 Jul 2011, 07:34 (Ref:2930341)   #33
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Sewn label or screen printed, i can't see the likes of Sparco or Alpine Stars etc giving F1 teams inferior equipment.
Don't think the FIA have any doubts about that, but the rules says you need the label..... Every other person competing in a FIA sanctioned event this weekend has had to have all their equipment checked by scrutineering and would be rejected if the incorrect label is on their suit... Why shouldn't the teams be held to the same basic rules and regulations everyone else has to deal with in motorsport under the FIA; I think it is a good thing personally and it is not like any team was going to be disqualified from Germany, the FIA were just pulling the teams back in line as it seems they have been getting away with screenprinting the label for a while.....