Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 7 Jun 2011, 21:42 (Ref:2893102)   #26
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would it not be better if they just combined GTE's with GT3's, while slowly phasing out the current GT1 cars?
Old 8 Jun 2011, 02:10 (Ref:2893198)   #27
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitchZ06 View Post
This is how I see it going...

01 Nissan (GT-R GT1)
02 Ford Matech (GT GT1)
03 Lamborghini (Aventador GT1)
04 Ferrari (F458 GT2)
05 Porsche (RSR GT2)
06 Corvette (P&M C6.R GT2)
07 Aston Martin (Vantage V12 GT2)
08 BMW (M3 GT2)
09 Audi (R8 LMS GT3)
10 Mercedes (SLS GT3)
11 McLaren (MP412C GT3)
12 Lotus (Evora GT2)
02 - Ford Matech - are you sure there'll be any of those racing anywhere in 2012? Isn't there already a shortage of parts while Matech went bust?
03 - there's no Aventador racecar in the works that anyone heard of. 2012 is coming soon (next year in fact ;-). Gallardo LP-something-or-other is likely though.
06 - 2009-spec GT2 Corvette had a 'transitional' engine based on LS7.R, 6.5l I think. Is it even eligible? There were 2 chassis, are there any left? In any case Z06 GT3 seems more likely (a great deal less expensive).

I think most teams would like to run GT3 cars, don't forget we're talking about 1-hour banger racing, so cars don't need to be very reliable, they need to be cheap, and BoP will take care of the performance. Why spend more?
Old 8 Jun 2011, 14:42 (Ref:2893525)   #28
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Seeing as you can't enter factory-supported cars anyway, does it really matter... the only ones interested will be the privateers.
I suspect we will see even more unoffical works teams entering carrying on from what we've had with Vitaphone/Maserati, or AF Corse/Ferrari, Prodrive/Aston 'young driver' and Reiter/Lamborghini etc

And remember Porsche kept changing their 'blessed' GT2 teams every year from Prospeed to whoever?
Old 9 Jun 2011, 08:51 (Ref:2894108)   #29
kurski
Veteran

Finland
kurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkurski should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The announcement by the FIA ​​to the new orientation of the FIA ​​GT1 World Championship 2012 has caused quite a stir. Now there are the first details on the new "World GT Class."
Old 9 Jun 2011, 12:54 (Ref:2894267)   #30
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Real GT cars will be in WEC. For me, there's no need to organize a "world" champ for sprint races with almost the same cars that you can find in WEC or FIA GT3. The same European teams can go to FIA GT3 and compete there.

It would be more interesting to have a world sprint races champ with Audi R5, BMW M3, Buick Regal, Honda HSV-010, Mercedes CLS, Nissan GT-R and so on. Just for variety. Because there're too many sprint GT racing which is very confusing. Maybe it's interesting for drivers but too boring to watch the whole season and not to mix up who, where and with what is driving this week end. And what handicap he gets. They just need something fresh-looking.
Old 9 Jun 2011, 20:30 (Ref:2894678)   #31
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurski View Post
The announcement by the FIA ​​to the new orientation of the FIA ​​GT1 World Championship 2012 has caused quite a stir. Now there are the first details on the new "World GT Class."
Audi seem VERY supportive of the new platform, unless that quote from Ullrich is already very old?
Old 9 Jun 2011, 23:06 (Ref:2894808)   #32
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Autosport repeats Ratel wants teams signed up, and the Euro 100k entry fee, by the end of July.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 06:41 (Ref:2894900)   #33
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Autosport repeats Ratel wants teams signed up, and the Euro 100k entry fee, by the end of July.
Yeah good luck with that..........
Old 10 Jun 2011, 09:58 (Ref:2894992)   #34
Yakuncha
Racer

Ireland
Dublin,Ireland
Yakuncha should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG View Post
Mainly so he can announce whats going on during his 'state of the union' address at the Spa 24H
Old 10 Jun 2011, 15:12 (Ref:2895179)   #35
lms
Veteran

lms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will the 24h of Spa be part of the new championship?
Old 10 Jun 2011, 17:07 (Ref:2895241)   #36
Pandamasque
Veteran

Ukraine
Kyiv, Ukraine
Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!Pandamasque has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lms View Post
Will the 24h of Spa be part of the new championship?
It shouldn't. It's a championship for cars optimised for sprint racing, from what I understand.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 17:49 (Ref:2895275)   #37
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by helgi View Post
For me, there's no need to organize a "world" champ for sprint races with almost the same cars that you can find in WEC or FIA GT3. The same European teams can go to FIA GT3 and compete there.
Perhaps teams and drivers want to be world champions rather than just continental champions. Perhaps the general public is uninterested in pay drivers that fill GT3 and want to see the best drivers of the world driving 500hp sports cars in thrilling sprint races. Perhaps they don't.
Old 10 Jun 2011, 18:48 (Ref:2895317)   #38
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Perhaps teams and drivers want to be world champions rather than just continental champions. Perhaps the general public is uninterested in pay drivers that fill GT3 and want to see the best drivers of the world driving 500hp sports cars in thrilling sprint races. Perhaps they don't.
Please tell me youre not taking about the current GT1 grid? Also, with the WEC wouldnt it eliminate that possibility?

And By thrilling I assume you dont mean the GT1 crashfests this year or WTCC and are more taking about the quality of racing we sometimes witnessed last year like Interlagos?
Old 13 Jun 2011, 22:19 (Ref:2898434)   #39
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I can't watch WTCC here and I prefer F1, IndyCar, Argentine TC2000 and Le Mans over GT1, so I rarely try to watch it and I've seen very few races. Most importantly, I know very few GT1 driver names, so I'm not too interested.

I was talking about what Ratel wants of GT1 / what it should be. I'd like to watch it. It's a little far now - poor grids, lots of no names (from what I know), no proper television coverage in Latin America.
Old 15 Jun 2011, 21:08 (Ref:2899803)   #40
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Most importantly, I know very few GT1 driver names, so I'm not too interested.

I was talking about what Ratel wants of GT1 / what it should be. I'd like to watch it. It's a little far now - poor grids, lots of no names (from what I know), no proper television coverage in Latin America.
Thing is, the drivers in GT1 are pretty much on a par with any other sportscar series in terms of ability and familarity to race goers.

Ok, so Audi and Peugeot have apparent aces droving for them, but the top guys in Nissan, Aston and Lambo would in the most do the job in an LMP1 car given the chance, some already have in the past.
Old 12 Jul 2011, 18:16 (Ref:2925709)   #41
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

See there's been nothing positive coming forth about this series lately then?
Old 12 Jul 2011, 18:23 (Ref:2925710)   #42
Marcel ten Caat
Veteran

Netherlands
The Netherlands
Marcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMarcel ten Caat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I think it was Speedweek magazine that reported this week that 9 teams have confirmed their interest so far. Doesn't say if they all paid their deposit.
Old 12 Jul 2011, 19:21 (Ref:2925732)   #43
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

9 teams, that's not bad at this stage

I assume that most of them are this years entries, are there any interesting new ones?
Old 13 Jul 2011, 05:15 (Ref:2925855)   #44
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Marc VDS are talking about a possible BMW Z4 GT1 project althought nothing more is known except that they are using Spa as a chance to evaluate a Z4 GT3 instead of one of their Fords. Would like to see that come to fruition, maybe Schubert might be tempted to join the fray?

Last edited by rich07; 13 Jul 2011 at 05:22.
Old 13 Jul 2011, 09:49 (Ref:2925928)   #45
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Z4 GT1? Why would anyone wanna build a GT1 anymore if the new championship is going to equalize all three classes into one big mess? It doesn't matter whether you run a GT3 Lambo or GT1 (well expect the Murcielago might run out of spares)
Old 13 Jul 2011, 11:50 (Ref:2925974)   #46
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
infact the Z4 GT1 will be a Z4 GT3 with some aero update, lighter and with a less restricted engine...
surely MVDS won't have engine supplier problems anymore if they will use bmw cars.
The next GT world bop will be epic... (fail)
Old 13 Jul 2011, 14:22 (Ref:2926063)   #47
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexkiller8 View Post
infact the Z4 GT1 will be a Z4 GT3 with some aero update, lighter and with a less restricted engine...
I cant see a GT1 version of the Z4 happening, why waste the money when the GT3 version will be eligible for exactly the same series in exactly the same class. Marc VDS will run World GT spec GT3 Z4's IMO.
Old 13 Jul 2011, 15:16 (Ref:2926093)   #48
alexkiller8
Veteran

alexkiller8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
next year fia GT championship will have an epic bop... a epic fail bop maybe...
Old 13 Jul 2011, 15:31 (Ref:2926099)   #49
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You said it once already Alex...we kinda get the point my friend.
Old 13 Jul 2011, 17:05 (Ref:2926130)   #50
PorscheFanNo1
Veteran

Sweden
Winner's Circle
PorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPorscheFanNo1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalk3r View Post
I cant see a GT1 version of the Z4 happening, why waste the money when the GT3 version will be eligible for exactly the same series in exactly the same class. Marc VDS will run World GT spec GT3 Z4's IMO.
Do anyone actually think the bop will make the GT3 cars as fast as the GT1 cars? Surely Ratel will make sure a GT1 car will win, anything else would be silly for sure, especially when Nissan has a GT1 car!
So, taking the Z4 GT3 and making some rather cheap changes (cheap is always relative) and thus making it more likely to win doesnt sound like a bad move for me! BMW are always in it to win, take this as a hint that the GT3 cars will not be as fast as the GT1 cars next year, they will be gridfillers at best.