Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

View Poll Results: Which cars max 3.5litres
Sportscars 1968 - 1985 0 0%
Sportscars Up to 1985 0 0%
GT 1968 - 1985 0 0%
GT Up to 1985 0 0%
Saloons 1968 - 1985 0 0%
Saloons Up to 1985 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23 Jun 2009, 09:42 (Ref:2488878)   #76
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Trouble with bringing it too far forward is that you'll have the technically challenging cars included, such as the M3 BMW, the Cosworth Sierra etc. Mid eighties might just be ok.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 09:53 (Ref:2488888)   #77
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think your absolutly spot on Peter,a ten year period,75>85 should suit most I would have thought,also I think Tin Tops only,that then rules out any of the Sports Racers.
So,who's going to start on the business plan? Technical reg's etc?
I still think that Anglesea would be the wrong choice because of the distances involved,far better using Silverstone Inter or Donington.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 10:03 (Ref:2488894)   #78
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
I'd be happy to construct a business plan and the sporting regs. I can't do the technical and eligibility regs though......I would need somebody clever to do that
Old 23 Jun 2009, 10:12 (Ref:2488903)   #79
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
I'd be happy to construct a business plan and the sporting regs. I can't do the technical and eligibility regs though......I would need somebody clever to do that

Hmmmm,bit of a problem there then!
Old 23 Jun 2009, 10:16 (Ref:2488905)   #80
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
eamonn ledwidge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The thread proposed this as an 'alternative 6 hrs race' so it may be a little premature at this juncture to start suggesting which cars might be excluded.

I would favour, for discussion purposes only, a broad church approach to the thread - focused at this stage on circuit preference, organising club, tyres - just E rated, costs. This to establish the levels of interest and financial viability.

If my understanding of 'alternative' is correct, than lets explore it, rather that consider 'another 6 hr race' which is just same blokes wearing different hats.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 10:17 (Ref:2488907)   #81
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Trouble with bringing it too far forward is that you'll have the technically challenging cars included, such as the M3 BMW, the Cosworth Sierra etc. Mid eighties might just be ok.
Fair point!
Old 23 Jun 2009, 10:23 (Ref:2488912)   #82
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
I think your absolutly spot on Peter,a ten year period,75>85 should suit most I would have thought,also I think Tin Tops only,that then rules out any of the Sports Racers.
Do you mean just saloons & hatchbacks, or do you really want to rule out road going sports cars, such as MGBs, & TRs etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower View Post
I still think that Anglesea would be the wrong choice because of the distances involved,far better using Silverstone Inter or Donington.
But Silverstone Inter & Donington will be VERY expensive to hire.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 10:26 (Ref:2488919)   #83
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Poll added for circuit choice. Will close in five days.

I think if we stuck to production cars then you get the (to use an example) B Roadster and the B GT. So two seater sports are ok IMO. But Terry is talking about the Lola and Chevron sports racers which are not production cars.

Silverstone and Donington may be more expensive but they do attract the entries. You(?) already said that grids tend to be small at Angelssey. In fact I spoke to an organiser who flatly refuses to go there, simply because he knows he'll "take a bath" on it.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 10:31 (Ref:2488923)   #84
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post

But Silverstone Inter & Donington will be VERY expensive to hire.
Surprisingly, there's not huge differences in circuit hire costs between any of the circuits with the right facilities for this kind of race
Old 23 Jun 2009, 10:33 (Ref:2488925)   #85
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
I have voted for Anglesey on the grounds of likely (low hire) cost, circuit space (I think its the second widest circuit in the country after Silverstone) and scenery! (It takes the same length of time to get to for me in the midlands as it does to get to Snetterton or Brands - and I can stop off at Demon Tweeks if I have to on the way!)

That's a thought, perhaps DT could sponsor it?

Another thought, seeing as the FunCup folks have a 6 hour endurance race at Anglesey, perhaps we could share a weekend - FunCup one day, Alternative 6 hours the next day, any circuit infrastructure requirements such as refuelling might then already be set up?
Old 23 Jun 2009, 10:41 (Ref:2488932)   #86
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
eamonn ledwidge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have voted for Rockingham.

It has good facilities, viz. pits, refuelling, parking, spectator seating, 1.9 miles circuit, easy access and could well be attractively priced.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 10:52 (Ref:2488938)   #87
Mike Sweeney
Rookie

Mike Sweeney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok, it's going to be in the UK, likely at....can't bring myself to say it...Angle...oh no, it's nearly halfway to America...Anglesey. There, managed to say it.

In order to attract the maximum number of entrants, why not define classes from the (current) most popular classic/historic tin top formulae, then introduce some kind of handicap system to enable anyone to go for the outright win?

Sponsorship from DT certainly a great idea for Anglesey. That call should follow immediately after draft regs/poll/canvassing entrants concluded. I'm sure there's scope for it but the format must be spot on to attract very occasional racers like me
Old 23 Jun 2009, 10:57 (Ref:2488941)   #88
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Anyone got the grid capacities for these circuits?
Old 23 Jun 2009, 11:00 (Ref:2488943)   #89
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

Quote:
There all in the Blue Book Peter but for a 6 hour race the MSA would almost certainly allow + 20%......might even be a a bit more depending on the circuit.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 11:03 (Ref:2488945)   #90
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Just to clarifie,I have voted for Donington with the thought that this circuit,being centraly located,offers the best in terms of A] Ease of journey.B]Driver enjoyment.I also think that IF the infield get's sorted,it will offer even more enjoyment.As for excluding the likes of MGBs etc,1975>85 would effectively do that anyway,part of my reasoning for a Tin Top suggestion.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 11:19 (Ref:2488956)   #91
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:

Anglesea[ on B license=32 £2000 Entry Fee
Donington[Other Classe's=38 £1750
Silverstone[Other classe's 48 £1500
Old 23 Jun 2009, 11:19 (Ref:2488957)   #92
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngee View Post
There all in the Blue Book Peter but for a 6 hour race the MSA would almost certainly allow + 20%......might even be a a bit more depending on the circuit.
I know that, but mine is a bit too far away at the minute.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 11:22 (Ref:2488960)   #93
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
I know that, but mine is a bit too far away at the minute.

Now you dont have to worry.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 11:27 (Ref:2488963)   #94
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I wasn't worried.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 11:37 (Ref:2488970)   #95
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

At least Peter didn't give the response of one driver over last weekend - and not a new driver either - who when pointed out that the answer to his question was in the said publication, replied "What's the Blue Book?".......and he was being serious!
Old 23 Jun 2009, 11:56 (Ref:2488995)   #96
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
As to organising clubs it may be that the CSCC or the CTCRC would like to get involved? Both of them have events that could be supports to this and cater for similar years too.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 11:56 (Ref:2488997)   #97
PenelopePitstop
Racer

European Union
PenelopePitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Anglesea[ on B license=32 £2000 Entry Fee
Donington[Other Classe's=38 £1750
Silverstone[Other classe's 48 £1500 "

I've changed my mind from Anglesea to Silverstone!
Old 23 Jun 2009, 12:16 (Ref:2489009)   #98
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
You know it makes sense.
I'm glad your not worried Peter.If this was all put together professionally,I think there could well be other Organizers showing interest.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 12:37 (Ref:2489025)   #99
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Something that also needs to be considered is fuel tanks. Most cars running 40 or 50 minute races (assuming that's what this would be catering for) will need to increase tankage for endurance. Tanks will need to comply with FIA requirements in terms of foam filling etc. Would the cost of that (it doesn't mean bag tanks or anything that exotic) put people off?

Personally I can think of a few cars that I'd love to run in a 6hrs race so if there was an opportunity it could inspire me to build a new car.
Old 23 Jun 2009, 12:39 (Ref:2489028)   #100
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

An alternative could be to 'do it ourselves' and pay an organiser's fee to a registered club just to get the permit. That way it could be done on a 'co-operative' basis commercially by charging an entry fee of say £2k upfront and then publishing the accounts and distributing back the profits.

Tags
alternative 6hrs, classic cars, cscc, ctcrc, mgcc bcv8