Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 24 Oct 2013, 06:17 (Ref:3322454)   #101
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two years ago we were at this particular event (by the way we were in a café with 12 Frenchmen when the AB's won the world cup. Interesting times) and Mikko asked me a few questions about Hayden's speed. I replied that we had never seen him flat out because he had never had to do that to get a result. Mikko's comments were interesting for he said that was his observation too and that should funding cease to be an issue it would not be a case of it Hayden was World Champion but rather it wold be like Sebastian in that the question would be "How many times will he be world champion?"
Old 24 Oct 2013, 06:32 (Ref:3322463)   #102
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cool story SM
Lets just hope he doesn't make too many mistakes this weekend and gets the nod from one of the teams.
I don't follow the rally like I used to, but would it be fair to say that Hayden is the best rally driver this country has produced? And I am of course including the late great Possum Bourne in that list. Did Possum ever race at the equivalent level that Hayden is this weekend?
Old 24 Oct 2013, 21:56 (Ref:3322727)   #103
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
Cool story SM
Lets just hope he doesn't make too many mistakes this weekend and gets the nod from one of the teams.
I don't follow the rally like I used to, but would it be fair to say that Hayden is the best rally driver this country has produced? And I am of course including the late great Possum Bourne in that list. Did Possum ever race at the equivalent level that Hayden is this weekend?
like a WRC car at Rally Australia? He did that at least once did he not?
Old 24 Oct 2013, 22:15 (Ref:3322731)   #104
Heycoop Racing
Rookie

Heycoop Racing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Im pretty sure Possum did the Australian and NZ rounds throughout the mid 90's, but i don't think eh ever did a full campaign?

Actually, I don't think he ever competed in any WRC events outside Australiasia.
Racing in the 2013/14 Motul Honda Cup. #143 EG Civic. Facebook search Heycoop Racing to show your support and see my progress throughout the season.
Old 24 Oct 2013, 22:16 (Ref:3322733)   #105
Heycoop Racing
Rookie

Actually... I remember reading a book about him (good read) and I think he may have done the British/Welsh WRC round once or twice, sometime in the early 90's.
Racing in the 2013/14 Motul Honda Cup. #143 EG Civic. Facebook search Heycoop Racing to show your support and see my progress throughout the season.
Old 25 Oct 2013, 06:08 (Ref:3322825)   #106
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Update on Hayden. He was 10th quickest in a shakedown run, just 2.9s off the lead car which was Sordo. So that's 10th out of 13 wrc cars. Not a bad start I think you'll all agree.
Go Hayden
Old 25 Oct 2013, 18:14 (Ref:3323012)   #107
Heycoop Racing
Rookie

First stage has begun, Hayden is running 12th in the order, hasn't begun the stage yet through. Here's the link to live timing for anybody interested.

http://www.wrc.com/results/2013/rall...a/split-times/
Old 27 Oct 2013, 20:12 (Ref:3323830)   #108
Heycoop Racing
Rookie

Hayden did a great job in my opinion. I don't know exactly how the rally unfolded, but the stage times I did check he was around 8th - 10th, and finished 8th overall, so not bad speed and very consistent. A little more seat time and he could definitely be a top 5 contender.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 02:43 (Ref:3323996)   #109
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Yeah I think 8th is a fantastic result. Great stuff from the Padster.

So does anyone think he would have been noticed by some of the big-wigs?
Old 28 Oct 2013, 02:52 (Ref:3324000)   #110
Heycoop Racing
Rookie

Quote:

Probably not except for internally within the team. I mean people would have noticed him, but it wouldn't have been a stand out 'we must hire him next season' type thing. I guess people would notice more if he crashed out, but then thats being noticed for all the wrong reasons.

He'll definitely get noticed after a few more rallies, if he has solid results like these, and hopefully a few top fives.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 06:31 (Ref:3324052)   #111
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Lets put it into a motor racing perspective, he was having his first race in a F1 McLaren in his first Grand Prix and after only about 70km of testing on a dry track.
The last third of the race was on a wet circuit yet he never ran off the track, never hit another car, in fact never did a thing wrong and he finished in eighth place.
Old 28 Oct 2013, 06:35 (Ref:3324053)   #112
Swedish Brick
Racer

Swedish Brick has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
For new rally drivers not being last and not crashing = awesome!

Nice one Earl Bamber too
Old 28 Oct 2013, 06:47 (Ref:3324054)   #113
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Nicely put Carl. And good call SB
Old 1 Nov 2013, 16:37 (Ref:3325967)   #114
pukekoheracer
Racer

pukekoheracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good News overnight
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111020
Old 1 Nov 2013, 18:55 (Ref:3326002)   #115
Heycoop Racing
Rookie

Mitch has Qualified 11th at Abu Dhabi, despite not setting a representative lap time in practice with electrical problems. Another tenth of a second and he would have lined up 7th!!
Old 1 Nov 2013, 19:46 (Ref:3326028)   #116
pukekoheracer
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heycoop Racing View Post
Mitch has Qualified 11th at Abu Dhabi, despite not setting a representative lap time in practice with electrical problems. Another tenth of a second and he would have lined up 7th!!
and Earl Bamber 6th, Ritchie Stanaway 9th in Porsche Supercup Practice. They have 2 Races as well
Old 2 Nov 2013, 09:48 (Ref:3326228)   #117
Heycoop Racing
Rookie

PLEASE tell me Evans' luck will change soon...

Bit of a risky move I guess, but then Canamassas could have used his mirrors

Any word from the Porsche race?
Old 2 Nov 2013, 23:18 (Ref:3326419)   #118
pukekoheracer
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heycoop Racing View Post
PLEASE tell me Evans' luck will change soon...

Bit of a risky move I guess, but then Canamassas could have used his mirrors

Any word from the Porsche race?
Bamber on pole and finished 2nd. RS down a bit
Old 3 Nov 2013, 01:24 (Ref:3326442)   #119
Heycoop Racing
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukekoheracer View Post
Bamber on pole and finished 2nd. RS down a bit
Wow, thats awesome!!

Turns out Mitch got a penalty... a bit harsh I think, although I may be slightly biased...
Old 3 Nov 2013, 03:36 (Ref:3326448)   #120
bluespur
Racer

bluespur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What was Mitch penalty for? Where is the information
Old 3 Nov 2013, 03:38 (Ref:3326449)   #121
bluespur
Racer

Found the penalty information

Interesting, wondered I'd he would get a penalty for that
Old 3 Nov 2013, 05:21 (Ref:3326461)   #122
Heycoop Racing
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluespur View Post
Found the penalty information

Interesting, wondered I'd he would get a penalty for that
Do you think it was fair.

I guess its hard to tell from one camera angle, possibly he wasn't far enough up the inside.

It just looked to me as if Canamassas turned in on him quite late, so surely would have known he was there.

I guess it is the best time to get a penalty, he now only drops a pace or two, but he has had a shocking season (a lot of it out of his control).
Old 3 Nov 2013, 05:39 (Ref:3326464)   #123
bluespur
Racer

Agree, not clear from only quick single view. Thought perhaps he put his nose where it should not have been, but then unsure if other car changed line in the corner

Mitch sure has not had much luck, been in excellent positions then all goes wrong
Old 3 Nov 2013, 06:03 (Ref:3326470)   #124
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
I think another year in GP2 with a better team will do him some good.

There is no doubt he is 'good enough' to win races in the series, but as a few of you have pointed out, he has had more than his share of bad luck.

But it does beg the question....will he get another shot at GP2?
Old 3 Nov 2013, 06:22 (Ref:3326473)   #125
Heycoop Racing
Rookie

Quote:
I think another year in GP2 with a better team will do him some good.

There is no doubt he is 'good enough' to win races in the series, but as a few of you have pointed out, he has had more than his share of bad luck.

But it does beg the question....will he get another shot at GP2?
Clearly money speaks, so I guess the question can be rephrased as "will he be able to raise another ~$3Mill"

I heard a rumor that the RUSSIAN TIME team were more interested in driver skill instead of money, although I don't know if this is just because they are a new team or not. The same source (will try find a link later) also said that Sam Bird didn't pay a single cent for his drive.

Also GP2 will be cheaper (if such a word can be associated with motorsport!!) next year, due to using the same chassis as this year, so I guess everything carries over (ie. no needing to buy a lot more spare parts etc), which could help Mitch.

Ultimately, he will need to raise about $2.5-3 million, which was a struggle last year, even with the $400,000 from winning GP3.

Maybe its time to sell himself, where you can buy shares in Mitch Evans or whatever.

As for when/if he does raise this money, hopefully he moves to a better team. Arden just haven't been that strong in GP2, with Luiz Razia being the only driver in the last five years to get some good results.

I guess the best teams to go to for Mitch would be RUSSIAN TIME, Carlin or DAMS (who I know were considering him for this year).

Possibly Caterham, although they have their drivers from their development program.

Anyway, thats my thoughts, make what you want of it...