Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Jul 2007, 20:40 (Ref:1977617)   #1
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone plan gets green light

A £25m redevelopment of Silverstone, which could help secure the British Grand Prix's future, has been approved by the BRDC.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/moto...ne/6925232.stm
Old 31 Jul 2007, 20:50 (Ref:1977621)   #2
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I hope they change the track, but keep the good bits.

They could tighten up Priory to create an overtaking place, and get rid of Luffield as its almost universally hated.

In fact, I preferred the 1992 "stadium complex" as it was.

Adding a bit of positive camber to the exit of Chapel may help cars follow down the hanger straight.

Just a few thoughts.
Old 31 Jul 2007, 20:52 (Ref:1977624)   #3
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I hope they don't touch the track too much...

The bit I'm concerned about is the promise of "new homes" - and we've seen what can happen there with tracks like Zandvoort and Brands
Old 31 Jul 2007, 23:21 (Ref:1977721)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
The BRDC actually approve of something!

Good news for us Brits and Motor Sport in general.
Old 1 Aug 2007, 00:19 (Ref:1977748)   #5
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Great news..please do not touch the track..Keep Mr Tilke away thank you..
Old 1 Aug 2007, 00:40 (Ref:1977752)   #6
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As soon as we hear Tilke is involved that's it! Silverstone will be on the calendar for sure but will not the the good 'ol Silvertsone! Don't get Tilke to mess up Silverstone. Please.
Old 1 Aug 2007, 01:07 (Ref:1977760)   #7
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Yes the heated toilet seats, gold taps plus the loo attendants for "the ever so special" friends of Bernie Ecclestone fine, but leave the darn track alone..
Old 1 Aug 2007, 02:55 (Ref:1977804)   #8
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Well, for me, it would depend on what changes were made.

If they fancied getting rid of Abbey, easing up Vale, and something (interesting) with Brooklands, then I would be really rather enthusiastic.

HOWEVER, given that, in all probability, we would get something more like my attachment, I think we would be best to pray for no changes.
Attached Thumbnails
silvalt.gif  
Old 1 Aug 2007, 03:28 (Ref:1977814)   #9
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Something more like this, although the Brooklands-Luffield alteration is not considered essential (just something about that combo that I have found a bit irritating). However, much like with this proposal, any alterations to the Brooklands-Luffield is not really any better (get equal at best, and it is remarkably easy to make it worse!).
Attached Thumbnails
silvaltpref.gif  

Last edited by Dutton; 1 Aug 2007 at 03:32.
Old 1 Aug 2007, 03:35 (Ref:1977818)   #10
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
Something more like this, although the Brooklands-Luffield alteration is not considered essential (just something about that combo that I have found a bit irritating). However, much like with this proposal, any alterations to the Brooklands-Luffield is not really any better (get equal at best, and it is remarkably easy to make it worse!).
Oh that's just going to take all the fun out of it. Leave the track but spend the 25mil on upgrading the facilities
Old 1 Aug 2007, 03:40 (Ref:1977820)   #11
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
I can agree to that, although I maintain going with the changes to Vale and Abbey would be an improvement.

(Just in case there is any confusion, the first attachment is meant to be showing exactly why I think the track should be left alone by F1's Powers-That-Be).

Last edited by Dutton; 1 Aug 2007 at 03:44.
Old 1 Aug 2007, 04:14 (Ref:1977826)   #12
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If theyre going to touch the track profile, what are they planning on doing - making it better for F1 to overtake or tougher for the drivers and better for spectators? Those 2 unfortunately are at odds with each other, as Silverstone as a good overtaking track would have a hairpin at Stowe and Becketts would be a chicane
Old 1 Aug 2007, 04:42 (Ref:1977836)   #13
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Yeah, let us pray they never do anything evil like that.
Old 1 Aug 2007, 08:04 (Ref:1977932)   #14
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Great, let's build "new homes" next to a race track and see what happens next...

The original plans involved a second dedicated F1 pitlane somewhere out around the back of the circuit - so a bit like Spa. Not sure if that is still on the cards.
Old 1 Aug 2007, 08:51 (Ref:1977958)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just a small point.

Anyone who has had the privilege of racing on the track will tell you that none of it is universally hated. Indeed it is one of the greats as it is.

I hope they improve facilities/viewing and leave the track as it is.
Old 1 Aug 2007, 09:02 (Ref:1977971)   #16
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not even easing off Vale and cutting out Abbey?
Old 1 Aug 2007, 09:05 (Ref:1977973)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Nope. Its fine, there's all sorts of possibilities at Vale and Abbey brings the cars close together.
Old 1 Aug 2007, 09:11 (Ref:1977982)   #18
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Well, I will concede Vale without any great fuss.

I am going to forever disagree with Abbey, though. I would be much happier if it was bypassed.
Old 1 Aug 2007, 09:13 (Ref:1977987)   #19
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Just a small point.

Anyone who has had the privilege of racing on the track will tell you that none of it is universally hated. Indeed it is one of the greats as it is.

I hope they improve facilities/viewing and leave the track as it is.
Well, im only going on what I hear, and ive only been around the track for one day. A lot of drivers find luffield, slow, frustrating and a bit of a pointless corner, but the rest of it is pretty great.
Old 1 Aug 2007, 09:19 (Ref:1977998)   #20
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Dutton,

The original Abbey was flat as you have drawn in your earlier post. It still exists because they use it for the historic races.

But you couldn't allow that configuration for current F1 cars, they'd never stop in time for bridge!

The point about Vale/Club uis that there is loads of grip through there and it allows the more courageous to make a lunge (sadly Scott Speed got it wrong). In fact I've never known grip like it!

And Sodemo. Luffield leads you back to Woodcote so it can't be useless can it?
Old 1 Aug 2007, 09:36 (Ref:1978014)   #21
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Dutton,

And Sodemo. Luffield leads you back to Woodcote so it can't be useless can it?
Well, we'll have to agree to disagree!

This is my interpretation of Silverstone.

Changes are in red.

- Exit of Chapel eased, hopefully to allow cars to follow down hangar straight.
- Vale opened up slightly in the hope that more drivers will lose the back end upon turn in, allowing more passing into the new Priory.
- Complex changed to make Priory a open hairpin.
- Abbey changed back to more of its original configuration, with a wider entry to lessen the turn-in.

Last edited by Sodemo; 1 Aug 2007 at 09:38.
Old 1 Aug 2007, 09:42 (Ref:1978017)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Your Brooklands to Priory replicates Luffield 1 and 2 (albeit handed) as it was. That was useless.

Exit from Vale to Club is already there as part of the historic GP circuit.

Can't understand why you'd change Becketts because all you do is allow the lead cars to get further away because its pretty fast anyway.

In short it does nothing to enhance the track.

Sorry as mentioned before they'd never allow modern cars to run on the old configuration of Abbey, which is what you've drawn.
Old 1 Aug 2007, 09:45 (Ref:1978020)   #23
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
So, Luffield becomes a U bend?
Old 1 Aug 2007, 09:46 (Ref:1978022)   #24
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Quote:
Your Brooklands to Priory replicates Luffield 1 and 2 (albeit handed) as it was. That was useless.

Exit from Vale to Club is already there as part of the historic GP circuit.

Can't understand why you'd change Becketts because all you do is allow the lead cars to get further away because its pretty fast anyway.

In short it does nothing to enhance the track.

Sorry as mentioned before they'd never allow modern cars to run on the old configuration of Abbey, which is what you've drawn.
I'm glad you like it.
Old 1 Aug 2007, 12:51 (Ref:1978208)   #25
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Bottom line for me, is that they need to alter Chapel.

Cars can follow pretty easily full throttle through Maggotts, but its through Beckets and Chapel that cars cannot follow.

Altering Chapel to make the corner heavily cambered and less severe would help cars down the hangar straight.