Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 5 Sep 2011, 20:29 (Ref:2951368)   #1
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Course Clear?

Over this weekend, we've had two incidents that could have had very serious consequences.

At Brands Hatch, Lotus' were released for their qualy session when the sweeper was still on the track on the run up to Druids.

At Baltimore Indycar, a Safety Truck only just cleared Turn 1 as the cars entered on their first racing lap.

How do we stop this from happening? How serious an issue is it - is it a fundamental failing or just unlucky?
Old 5 Sep 2011, 20:45 (Ref:2951373)   #2
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just sounds like local comm breakdown. Coincidence in the timing.
Old 5 Sep 2011, 20:47 (Ref:2951374)   #3
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel View Post
How do we stop this from happening? How serious an issue is it - is it a fundamental failing or just unlucky?
Well, the first thing we need to know is how/why they happened. Were those vehicles out on circuit with or without permission? Was there a simple breakdown in communication? Were the organisers under pressure from outside influences to run to time, which resulted in them taking "calculated risks" (e.g. I was at a meeting recently, when the green flag was called with a recovery still on the way off the circuit - it was going circuit direction and made it off before the cars came round, but still, normal procedure is to wait for the course to be clear before releasing racing vehicles)?

Anybody have that information?
Old 5 Sep 2011, 20:53 (Ref:2951377)   #4
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At Castle Combe the last car in is always Echo (Clerk Of Course Ops), this car gives clearance to race control for the next session start, it is then over to race control to release the cars.
Old 5 Sep 2011, 21:59 (Ref:2951403)   #5
westfieldbend
Veteran

westfieldbend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sweeper had permission to be on circuit.

Why not just clear by post number over a radio system like they do at bikes.

Or at least do a radio call on recovery and ES channels: 'The next session will be starting imminently, could any vehicles that are still on the circuit or have any reason why the next session should not start, please inform race control immediately.'

A very embarrassing situation for all involved I think, especially in front of the germans... (although arguably they made a fairly significant mistake by not informing the 'R-Car' to stop at the scirroco incident at graham hill bend on Saturday and delaying medical assistance for at least a minute).
Old 5 Sep 2011, 22:19 (Ref:2951406)   #6
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The vision of the Baltimore near miss.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ2NA_rQd1g
Old 5 Sep 2011, 22:19 (Ref:2951407)   #7
emjaya
Racer

Aland Islands
in a house
emjaya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very close call. A view of the Baltimore incident from above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-WtU2ONNjw
Old 5 Sep 2011, 23:44 (Ref:2951439)   #8
AMP Marshal
Racer

Canada
Nova Scotia
AMP Marshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 6 Sep 2011, 08:59 (Ref:2951551)   #9
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjaya View Post
Very close call. A view of the Baltimore incident from above.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-WtU2ONNjw
Hoooh - that view really does make it look even more stupid than the other angles I've seen. Had any car run wide it would have collected the truct - none of the cars would have seen it until they were already out of control in its direction.

What is going on with Indycar? It really needs to get itsekf back on track.
Old 6 Sep 2011, 09:09 (Ref:2951555)   #10
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Bear in mind that this is the first time they've raced on that circuit - there were delays at the start of the meeting because the track itself hadn't been completed (which affected the ALMS and other practice sessions by several hours).

Goodness knows what miscommunication put the drivers of both the race cars and the truck at risk, but I bet it was something terribly simple. I don't think this is endemic to the series as a whole, personally, just teething trouble at a new (and temporary) circuit.
Old 6 Sep 2011, 09:18 (Ref:2951559)   #11
NewYankee01
Veteran

NewYankee01 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
at knockhill this happened twice on my post and happens all the time at karting, the most recent was one trolley had to sprint with it to get it in the pits in time
Old 6 Sep 2011, 09:23 (Ref:2951563)   #12
NewYankee01
Veteran

have a look at this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
aboslutely astounding...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8t6zWsWvcw&NR=1
Old 6 Sep 2011, 11:47 (Ref:2951625)   #13
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYankee01 View Post
have a look at this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
aboslutely astounding...
Yep, old news, and not quite the same thing. Still scary that a member of the public could get that close to the edge of the track, let alone that close to the edge of the car.

Probably some 'oik' who was trying to get his 15 minutes of fame in jumping over a car - I cant believe that he didnt now it was coming.
Old 6 Sep 2011, 12:05 (Ref:2951634)   #14
Steve Fox
Racer

United Kingdom
S.W.London
Steve Fox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYankee01 View Post
aboslutely astounding...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8t6zWsWvcw&NR=1

They are all out there!
Old 6 Sep 2011, 12:19 (Ref:2951641)   #15
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure the marshal clip helps this discussion.

I'll mention the 'landline' here for the first time - one channel with talkover ability, a good controller and a communicator on every post would certainly have sorted the Brands incident.

For Indycar, Safety operate with their own controller and are often 'on course' close to a start. I think in this case it was TOO close and I'm sure it won't be repeated.
Old 6 Sep 2011, 18:46 (Ref:2951791)   #16
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsquirrel View Post
I'll mention the 'landline' here for the first time - one channel with talkover ability, a good controller and a communicator on every post would certainly have sorted the Brands incident.
I wondered when that red herring would pop up! Io'm not sure how a landline could be used to communicate with a sweeper! Don't confuse the medium with the message.

It does sound like a breakdown in communication, though. Surely no vehicle should be on circuit without Race Control's knowledge & permission?
Old 6 Sep 2011, 19:17 (Ref:2951802)   #17
westfieldbend
Veteran

westfieldbend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
I wondered when that red herring would pop up! Io'm not sure how a landline could be used to communicate with a sweeper! Don't confuse the medium with the message.

It does sound like a breakdown in communication, though. Surely no vehicle should be on circuit without Race Control's knowledge & permission?
The sweeper had permission to be on the circuit.
Old 6 Sep 2011, 19:17 (Ref:2951803)   #18
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
The sweeper at Brands had been cleared to go on track.

There were multiple radio channels in operation - the flag radio network (digital BTW) - was the only one available to marshals, and was intended only to be used for controlling/monitoring flags during the DTM and VW sessions.

The sweeper was on the traditional channel (RAC T?).

I called it's presence in by phone, other posts called it over the digital flag radio (so spectators(/marshals with scanners) like Westfield would not have heard those calls)

Not really the same level of danger as at the IRL race (visibility and speeds involved)
Old 6 Sep 2011, 19:40 (Ref:2951814)   #19
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fcf View Post
Yep, old news, and not quite the same thing. Still scary that a member of the public could get that close to the edge of the track, let alone that close to the edge of the car.

Probably some 'oik' who was trying to get his 15 minutes of fame in jumping over a car - I cant believe that he didnt now it was coming.
yes i did realise when posting that it was from sky news and a lot of marshals may have already known about it but that was just plain stupid, pick a fight with an f1 car the car will win everytime... i just had to post it, first time ive seen that footage. he sure got his 15 minutes!
Old 6 Sep 2011, 19:43 (Ref:2951816)   #20
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
Quote:
Erm, it doesn't have to. I can imagine a radio conversation between the sweeper and r/c.

It goes:

R/C: Sweeper, have you cleared the circuit?
Sweeper: R/C I have cleared the circuit.

So - now, R/C thinks sweeper is off the course, in his 'hole'. Sweeper thinks he's told R/C that he's swept all the dirt off the track - but he's still on the course, because he hasn't been told to go 'home'.

Radio or phones are SLOW at passing messages and don't keep everyone in the loop.
In this case, course controller asking the corners at 2 mins to green flag, what's on course is good. Repeating it at 1 minutes , 30 seconds etc is also achievable.

Quote:
See above. If R/C involve the eyes and ears out on the course and provide an effective way to communicate, we shouldn't be able to end up in this situation.