Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 9 Dec 2011, 21:12 (Ref:2997743)   #1
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
PI System 3C

I was just wondering if anyone knew, could the PI System 3c Dash Display work on its own, just as a dash display,with no logging etc, or does it need to hook up to a separate ecu/logger etc to function??

Thx in advance!
Old 10 Dec 2011, 11:30 (Ref:2997973)   #2
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevan-L View Post
I was just wondering if anyone knew, could the PI System 3c Dash Display work on its own, just as a dash display,with no logging etc, or does it need to hook up to a separate ecu/logger etc to function??

Thx in advance!
i presume you mean the "C-dash"

according to the user documentation "the C-Dash is a digital dash which can be used to directly display the data from a number of sensors. it can also be used to display the data from a Pi system 1 or Pi system 3 club."

so yes it can!
Old 10 Dec 2011, 14:52 (Ref:2998063)   #3
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolddustMini View Post
i presume you mean the "C-dash"

according to the user documentation "the C-Dash is a digital dash which can be used to directly display the data from a number of sensors. it can also be used to display the data from a Pi system 1 or Pi system 3 club."

so yes it can!
no not the c-dash... the system 3 dash display..

Old 10 Dec 2011, 16:10 (Ref:2998083)   #4
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sorry i do not know then! good luck!
Old 11 Dec 2011, 12:44 (Ref:2998389)   #5
350LH
Rookie

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
350LH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Bevan,

If its anything like the System 3+ system I have (dash looks the same) you will need a compatible Logging Control Unit (LCU) to communicate with it, accept inputs etc.

Shoot an email to Tony Kent - tony@tkracingservices.co.uk he should be able to confirm for you.

cheers,

Sam
Old 11 Dec 2011, 19:28 (Ref:2998503)   #6
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 350LH View Post
Hey Bevan,

If its anything like the System 3+ system I have (dash looks the same) you will need a compatible Logging Control Unit (LCU) to communicate with it, accept inputs etc.

Shoot an email to Tony Kent - tony@tkracingservices.co.uk he should be able to confirm for you.

cheers,

Sam
Thanks Sam!! Will do now.
Old 12 Dec 2011, 17:55 (Ref:2998863)   #7
RPD Motorsport
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
RPD Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRPD Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed. It is only a screen and needs a box of tricks to drive it.
Old 15 Dec 2011, 09:36 (Ref:3000104)   #8
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I enquired a couple of years back with Pi asking the same quesion regarding the System IV (looks the same as yours) They replied I would need the logger to drive it, and not to bother anyway as it was very old and clunky to use, and no longer supported either in software or hardware/repairs. I ended up buying an Omega dash, which has been very good.
Old 26 Dec 2011, 05:43 (Ref:3004218)   #9
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown dog View Post
I enquired a couple of years back with Pi asking the same quesion regarding the System IV (looks the same as yours) They replied I would need the logger to drive it, and not to bother anyway as it was very old and clunky to use, and no longer supported either in software or hardware/repairs. I ended up buying an Omega dash, which has been very good.
For sure, i could easily fit a brand new PI/Cosworth Omega Dash or Motec ADL, but I'm currently restoring a 2L Super Touring Car so want to keep it as much as possible to the era that it raced in...
Old 26 Dec 2011, 11:06 (Ref:3004254)   #10
brown dog
Racer

brown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbrown dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
For sure, i could easily fit a brand new PI/Cosworth Omega Dash or Motec ADL, but I'm currently restoring a 2L Super Touring Car so want to keep it as much as possible to the era that it raced in...
Yes, it was the same for me, but mine was an original DTM car. Still decided that it was better to fit something usable, than something almost useless useless (but original!) And the Omega does look very similar to the System IV.
Old 26 Dec 2011, 12:25 (Ref:3004265)   #11
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brown dog View Post
Yes, it was the same for me, but mine was an original DTM car. Still decided that it was better to fit something usable, than something almost useless useless (but original!) And the Omega does look very similar to the System IV.

Awesome!! which DTM car was it??
Old 26 Dec 2011, 17:44 (Ref:3004316)   #12
brown dog
Racer

Quote:
Awesome!! which DTM car was it??
This one:

http://www.m3motorsport.co.nz/projects/1992-bigazzi-dtm

And yours?
Old 26 Dec 2011, 21:45 (Ref:3004362)   #13
Paceracing
Racer

Paceracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I totally understand the desire to keep the cars' originality but several important points to remember with these old System 3's, 4's, etc is that (i) These systems are regarded as a very complex data aquisition system for professional teams and are not simple to use (ii) Back in the day, the data logger was run by a dedicated data engineer who's only job was to run the logger and analyse the data (iii) As technology moves on, so does the hardware/software. Modern systems are simpler to use and offer more features (iv) You will need a PC running Windows 98 to operate a System 3 or 4. (v) As someone has very correctly pointed out, the Pi Omega Dash from Cosworth Electronics, (formerly Pi Research) looks almost identical, has more useful features, is simple to use and is aimed at occaisional users rather than big budget race teams.

I would recommend that you forget trying to revive this old system and cut your losses by getting an Omega dash which is the 'grandson' of these old systems and produced by the same company.
Old 27 Dec 2011, 00:00 (Ref:3004400)   #14
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paceracing View Post
I totally understand the desire to keep the cars' originality but several important points to remember with these old System 3's, 4's, etc is that (i) These systems are regarded as a very complex data aquisition system for professional teams and are not simple to use (ii) Back in the day, the data logger was run by a dedicated data engineer who's only job was to run the logger and analyse the data (iii) As technology moves on, so does the hardware/software. Modern systems are simpler to use and offer more features (iv) You will need a PC running Windows 98 to operate a System 3 or 4. (v) As someone has very correctly pointed out, the Pi Omega Dash from Cosworth Electronics, (formerly Pi Research) looks almost identical, has more useful features, is simple to use and is aimed at occaisional users rather than big budget race teams.

I would recommend that you forget trying to revive this old system and cut your losses by getting an Omega dash which is the 'grandson' of these old systems and produced by the same company.
I'm not about to cut it off now and get something else... I've already sourced the LCU which is needed by dash to work as well as all bits and pieces needed to communicate with a PC... i already have a notebook running win98 as i needed it any way to communicate with the ECU in the car...

There are plenty guys (also on 10/10ths) who own super tourers running the same gear and have no dramas??? yeah sure if i wanted to log everything under the sun etc then yeah you'd want someone who knows the system well.. but at this point in time I'm happy if it just acts as a dash display while i iron out all the bugs with the car
Old 27 Dec 2011, 00:07 (Ref:3004401)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I am surprised Mr Pickett kept the Pi aboard the Hyundai STs... they were worth a small fortune at the time, thought this stuff may have been parted out to keep the race team going. Presumably he didnt know what he had?
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 27 Dec 2011, 05:27 (Ref:3004428)   #16
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
I am surprised Mr Pickett kept the Pi aboard the Hyundai STs... they were worth a small fortune at the time, thought this stuff may have been parted out to keep the race team going. Presumably he didnt know what he had?
Yup its all still in the car... Also have a spare System 2 that came with it as well... I suspect either he didn't know what he had or Richard Buttrose was helping out to keep the team going

The other chassis thats currently yellow doesn't have it anymore so perhaps things did start getting sold off..????
Old 27 Dec 2011, 15:19 (Ref:3004530)   #17
turbo tim
Rookie

turbo tim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i was recently in the same situation, althou my system was complete apart from the lead and the computer. it has probably cost me half the price of buying a new system, but the car is kept origonal and i dont need to rewire it. if you need any help drop me a pm.
Old 28 Dec 2011, 05:44 (Ref:3004712)   #18
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo tim View Post
i was recently in the same situation, althou my system was complete apart from the lead and the computer. it has probably cost me half the price of buying a new system, but the car is kept origonal and i dont need to rewire it. if you need any help drop me a pm.
Thanks mate!! will keep you in mind and contact you once its all setup again and i run into any dramas!!

Cheers
Bevan
Old 11 Jan 2012, 02:49 (Ref:3010068)   #19
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Does anyone by any chance have a manual for this Dash????

I need to build the loom but need to know the pinouts on the Lemo connectors...

thx in advance!!
Old 21 Jan 2012, 21:44 (Ref:3015110)   #20
t45_ste
Rookie

t45_ste should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a manual for this system.

May i ask what type of vehilce you are building the loom for?
Old 6 Jul 2016, 21:30 (Ref:3657363)   #21
chrisyoung50
Rookie

chrisyoung50 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have recently purchased a dash (i believe its a system 3), part loom, and control box

Does anyone have a manual for this dash which i can get a copy of?