Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 6 Sep 2011, 12:20 (Ref:2951643)   #1
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone Marshals Posts - split from memorial thread

(Split from http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130000 - Piglet)

I don't want this to be taken the wrong way, but shouldn't Silverstone a multi-million pound venture be providing shelters to the marshal's?

Last edited by Piglet; 6 Sep 2011 at 20:16.
Old 6 Sep 2011, 20:05 (Ref:2951823)   #2
NewYankee01
Veteran

NewYankee01 is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
lasting tribute, very generous of the club and a well spent initiative on something that well and truly needs a make over.

to echo what flagwaver said if silverstone can spend millions on the wing then why cant it spend £10000 of its own money "restoring" its marshals posts and walkways for marshals, i could do the works for that type of money, 30 ish posts thats £300 on each at least...

the design of silverstones' posts are easy and efficient, stuck together scaffolding but why couldnt they have built around it with plywood, instead of erecting 30 glorified plinths? donington on the other hand has purpose built framed practical posts that has almost everything youd need on them except maybe at best flagholders and table for post chief to write on. now even they dont offer much protection for more than 1 person but compared to the joke of silverstone. hazard boards you have to hold if its windy and get bad cramp by the end of it... not for me.

if silverstone can have the gp for an unbroken run of 40 years then i hope for the marshals sake it can compete with doningtons phones that have loudspeakers! marshals equipment storage that most bums would call a palace, firmly fixed steps or mini ladders, roofs!, seats on post, hazards and safety car boards that work perfectly and flat, safe and clear walkways... thats safe and clear walkways, not making you have to cross a labyrinth of spectator guards or go onto the track to get from 1 post to another because of the state of the walkways...
Old 6 Sep 2011, 21:10 (Ref:2951864)   #3
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYankee01 View Post
... seats on post, ...
spot the bike marshal
Old 7 Sep 2011, 10:29 (Ref:2952097)   #4
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd say bear with them. There's been a huge amount of development work going on at the place. This has meant both that the venue staff have been up to their eyes in sorting out the work for that and the knock-ons and that it's not been known where the flag posts are likely to end up until fairly recently - and comments from both local and visiting experienced flaggies are still coming in about shifting a couple of them.

There's also been a large amount of comment in about the state of some incident areas and what needs doing to improve them - not least because Penny has twice this year given comment questionnaires (complete with detailed map) to both Post Chief and IO. The one occasion I was on post, the IO was asking all of us to contribute. Penny now has a list of priorities which the venue team will be starting to work through.
Old 7 Sep 2011, 10:40 (Ref:2952108)   #5
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Penny now has a list of priorities which the venue team will be starting to work through.
I hope that includes getting the Post Chiefs back in contact with the teams instead of being, in some cases, in an isolated outpost.

Old 7 Sep 2011, 11:25 (Ref:2952128)   #6
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyDJ View Post
spot the bike marshal
hahahaha! ive got my own seat thank you! and yes i am a bike marshal
Old 7 Sep 2011, 15:49 (Ref:2952270)   #7
Steve Fox
Racer

United Kingdom
S.W.London
Steve Fox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYankee01 View Post
hahahaha! ive got my own seat thank you! and yes i am a bike marshal

Well spotted HairyDJ !!
Old 7 Sep 2011, 20:36 (Ref:2952376)   #8
alimcb
Racer

Scotland
Northampton
alimcb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigley View Post
I hope that includes getting the Post Chiefs back in contact with the teams instead of being, in some cases, in an isolated outpost.

And a digital radio system, if they do finally get one, could be a step in the right direction there. You often see race team personnel on pit walls, using radio headsets with two buttons - you can easily imagine having the same thing for all post chiefs, IOs and flaggies. Push one button to talk to the rest of the team, the other to talk to race control. Surely digital radio systems are smart enough now to do this sort of thing?
Old 7 Sep 2011, 20:40 (Ref:2952379)   #9
NewYankee01
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by alimcb View Post
And a digital radio system, if they do finally get one, could be a step in the right direction there. You often see race team personnel on pit walls, using radio headsets with two buttons - you can easily imagine having the same thing for all post chiefs, IOs and flaggies. Push one button to talk to the rest of the team, the other to talk to race control. Surely digital radio systems are smart enough now to do this sort of thing?
difference is though they are race teams with loads of money behind them, apart from circuit issued radios, we are marshals with not the biggest budgets in the world. i was going to wait to get a digital one but im glad i didnt as it could be ages till we get our hands on this type of stuff...
Old 8 Sep 2011, 06:19 (Ref:2952514)   #10
Mark H
Rookie

Mark H should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For those championing the Digital system,all i would say be careful what you wish for,if it is anything like the spec of the one used at Abu Dhabi then long live analogue.

Hopefully the time you had to allow for the Radio to connect into the system has been improved,from experience this was considerably longer than current system at Silverstone.
Old 8 Sep 2011, 09:58 (Ref:2952579)   #11
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
MSVR had digital radios in use at the DTM meeting - very simple digital - mirrored existing system - worked fine.

Please please please - some form of headset based comms system for the postchief - telephone handsets just do not hack it for F1 etc when race control expect clear reports within 30 seconds of the incident. & As said already try and make us less remote from the rest of the team.
Old 8 Sep 2011, 11:51 (Ref:2952649)   #12
Gerryc
Racer

United Kingdom
Aylesbury, Bucks.
Gerryc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodysnatcher View Post
Please please please - some form of headset based comms system for the postchief - telephone handsets just do not hack it for F1 etc when race control expect clear reports within 30 seconds of the incident. & As said already try and make us less remote from the rest of the team.