Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 28 Nov 2016, 18:13 (Ref:3691838)   #126
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10TENTHS View Post
Attendance at Toronto looked a lot better this year, but the inability to repave the private roads that make up most of the track is a real problem. With some improvements to infrastructure and barriers, Mosport could work, just needs to be promoted as much as their other event weekends.
It seems from looking at a few other road courses (Barber, Mid-O) that Mosport is almost there from a safety point of view, with the new catch fencing at T5 and down the back straight. Probably the biggest issue will be crowd control and preventing the inevitable sneaky fans from getting practically trackside in the trees on the back straight and infield near T4 (*ahem*). Hotel space could be an issue too I suppose. I'd love to see it though, much as I like the existing Toronto race.
Old 28 Nov 2016, 20:48 (Ref:3691872)   #127
HighParker
Racer

Canada
Toronto
HighParker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10TENTHS View Post
Attendance at Toronto looked a lot better this year, but the inability to repave the private roads that make up most of the track is a real problem...
There were fewer grandstands than ever, but the ones that remained appeared full. Maybe it looked better, but I'm not convinced it actually was a larger crowd or that there has been any real improvement in the disappointingly small crowds since the race returned the year after the IRL/ChampCar merger. The perception is that it has been kept alive by promoters who attempt to cut expenses as much as possible to break even. Apart from e-mails to previous ticket buyers, there's no advertising that I see or hear until about 3 weeks before the race. It seems doubtful they would be able to pay for needed repaving and other road work, while the city would find it difficult to justify doing it solely for the race promoters. Along with the new hotel, now there are also more events with larger crowds (at the stadium, amphitheatre across the road, and other buildings) who find the barriers and fences to be an annoyance for the month preceding the race, and would not miss it.
On the other hand, Mosport is owned by billionaire Carlo Fidani, who likely won't have much trouble making some improvements to his track if he wants to attract an IndyCar event.

Last edited by HighParker; 28 Nov 2016 at 21:05.
Old 29 Nov 2016, 11:04 (Ref:3692029)   #128
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Montreal has been given a reprieve, for 2017 but that's it, nothing concrete for 2018. IndyCar should at look at Montreal for 2018 and beyond.
Fairly recently, the official youtube channel of IndyCar uploaded the 2005 ChampCar race at Montreal. This should be proof enough of the fact that this is a market the series is interested in. I'm fairly certain they would put on a good show at Ile de Notre Dame as their 2nd Canadian event in addition to Toronto.
Old 29 Nov 2016, 11:06 (Ref:3692031)   #129
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
Fairly recently, the official youtube channel of IndyCar uploaded the 2005 ChampCar race at Montreal. This should be proof enough of the fact that this is a market the series is interested in. I'm fairly certain they would put on a good show at Ile de Notre Dame as their 2nd Canadian event in addition to Toronto.
As I've said before Canada needs another event and this looks like a good opportunity.
Old 29 Nov 2016, 11:48 (Ref:3692040)   #130
10TENTHS
Veteran

10TENTHS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
Throwback Thursday race uploads are usually done by online vote (in this case the theme was first wins, IIRC).
Old 29 Nov 2016, 16:34 (Ref:3692139)   #131
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighParker View Post
There were fewer grandstands than ever, but the ones that remained appeared full. Maybe it looked better, but I'm not convinced it actually was a larger crowd or that there has been any real improvement in the disappointingly small crowds since the race returned the year after the IRL/ChampCar merger. The perception is that it has been kept alive by promoters who attempt to cut expenses as much as possible to break even. Apart from e-mails to previous ticket buyers, there's no advertising that I see or hear until about 3 weeks before the race. It seems doubtful they would be able to pay for needed repaving and other road work, while the city would find it difficult to justify doing it solely for the race promoters. Along with the new hotel, now there are also more events with larger crowds (at the stadium, amphitheatre across the road, and other buildings) who find the barriers and fences to be an annoyance for the month preceding the race, and would not miss it.
On the other hand, Mosport is owned by billionaire Carlo Fidani, who likely won't have much trouble making some improvements to his track if he wants to attract an IndyCar event.
Thanks for that, some interesting reads in the links. And that last Racing North article (about repaving) confirms that the existing deal with the city is only through 2017 (not 2018 as in the Toronto Sun article I listed above). The first article, about containing costs, is old (2012) but it's pretty obvious to anyone who's been to the event (or worked it) that cost cutting has been ongoing since then too.

All very worrying to me, as one who loves this event, but doom 'n gloom predictions surrounding this race are nothing new. I guess that the time to negotiate a new deal with the city is now. NASCAR Pinty's Series is signed up as a supporting race through 2018 (http://www.hondaindytoronto.com/more...-major-sponsor), but I guess that means nothing if the event ceases to exist before then(!).
Old 29 Nov 2016, 16:40 (Ref:3692141)   #132
10TENTHS
Veteran

10TENTHS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's been no shortage of series racing at Exhibition Place in support of Indycar (http://www.hondaindytoronto.com/eventschedule). Canadian Tire Series has run there before as well (like they did at Edmonton for a while), that's not a new thing. Road America drew a good crowd so I don't think the product is an issue.

Tickets have just started to go on sale for 2017: http://www.hondaindytoronto.com/more...ay-november-29
Old 22 Mar 2017, 17:59 (Ref:3720706)   #133
HighParker
Racer

Canada
Toronto
HighParker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwintle View Post
... I guess that the time to negotiate a new deal with the city is now...
FWIW, Green Savoree Racing Promotions was able to get most of the track in St. Petersburg repaved, so I suppose it's conceivable that they could do the same in Toronto.