Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 27 Jul 2016, 17:03 (Ref:3661501)   #1
lclarke
Rookie

lclarke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Under the Overalls - Oh I do say...

As a new marshal who only done a few meetings, I will shortly be receiving my first overalls from the SMT. Exciting.

I am however left wondering, what to wear under them, and how that changes seasonally?

Gut feel says that shorts, as tempting as it would be in heat, might not be the best idea from a fire safety perspective.

Then in the winter I'm guessing its as many layers as you can squeeze in?

PS. I've met some of you lot. I know what I'm letting myself in for by asking a question like this. All I ask is that you keeping the scarring mental images of marshals in Mankinis to a minimum

Thanks Guys

Lee
Old 27 Jul 2016, 17:59 (Ref:3661512)   #2
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As you might get your picture taken try to look pretty at al times.
Old 27 Jul 2016, 18:48 (Ref:3661515)   #3
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by lclarke View Post
I am however left wondering, what to wear under them, and how that changes seasonally?

Gut feel says that shorts, as tempting as it would be in heat, might not be the best idea from a fire safety perspective.

Then in the winter I'm guessing its as many layers as you can squeeze in
In winter, as many layers as possible (also making allowances for the fact that in spring and autumn some circuits can still be exceedingly cold and windy). On hot days, there isn't much of an issue with shorts and t-shirt under the overalls as the overalls should keep you safe in the event of inadvertently getting to close to a fire. To be honest, days which fall into this category are quite few, mainly due to the exposed nature of most UK circuits.
Old 27 Jul 2016, 20:10 (Ref:3661524)   #4
lclarke
Rookie

lclarke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
As you might get your picture taken try to look pretty at al times.
Ahh.... But what does that say about the guy that takes the pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipper View Post
In winter, as many layers as possible (also making allowances for the fact that in spring and autumn some circuits can still be exceedingly cold and windy). On hot days, there isn't much of an issue with shorts and t-shirt under the overalls as the overalls should keep you safe in the event of inadvertently getting to close to a fire. To be honest, days which fall into this category are quite few, mainly due to the exposed nature of most UK circuits.

Thanks Kipper. I know what this country's weather can be like - Sub-Saharan one moment and Antarctic the next
Old 27 Jul 2016, 22:08 (Ref:3661539)   #5
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Many years ago I bought some Sparco fire-retardant underwear. Not because I felt I needed it's fire properties, but because:

1) It was on special offer (getting rid of old stock, I suspect) and so was pretty cheap.
2) It's designed for wearing under overalls, so probably comfy (it is)
3) It's pretty good for wicking away sweat on hot days.

It's also very hard wearing, looking not much different from when new.

If you can find some at a decent price I'd recommend it.

*of course the correct answer to "What's worn under the overalls?" is "Nothing, it's all in perfect condition..."
Old 28 Jul 2016, 16:52 (Ref:3661655)   #6
Fubar Andy
Rookie

United Nations
North West
Fubar Andy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Summer:

T-shirt
Shorts

Winter:

Thermal top (with sleeves)
Thermal pants

T-shirt (over thermal top)
Shorts (over thermal pants)

Normal socks
Thermal walking socks over them

Hats & scarves etc as per your own choice!
Old 28 Jul 2016, 22:07 (Ref:3661731)   #7
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe there is a different under-overall dress code adopted at Scottish circuits
Old 29 Jul 2016, 17:39 (Ref:3661887)   #8
RNHodge
Rookie

United Kingdom
Never on dry land
RNHodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wear whatever you think would be comfortable. Two points:

Don't go for man made materials that melt when exposed to heat (nylon, polyester etc)

Go for cotton t shirts. Cotton has superb fire resistance and although you may never see a fire at a race circuit a cotton t shirt wouldn't stick to your skin should you find yourself involved, compared to say a nylon or polyester one.
Old 4 Sep 2016, 15:44 (Ref:3670015)   #9
mick from macc
Rookie

mick from macc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what to wear

lots of thin things and take spares and that way you can take of or add on as required its easy to take 2 layers of and still have enough on to keep warm if you have just one thick layer underneath you have to sweat or freeze and always have spare foot wear and clothes to go home in if you get wet