Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides MotorsportAds MotorsTV (Sky 447)  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Notices

Old 6 Nov 2016, 16:55 (Ref:3686008)   #16
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCoach Ep should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCoach Ep should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You're just around the corner from Mid-O, go out more often and visit the perhaps less fancy stuff going on there, nothing beats the live experience!
Old 6 Nov 2016, 17:44 (Ref:3686026)   #17
FGE
Rookie

Germany
Lüneburg
FGE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
...Series becoming more and more spec, or being dominated with one way to do things to ensure success. Series becoming fashionable rather than relevant, series being too expensive for their ROI returns and how many fans they attract. And racing series relying on gimmicks vs actual racing...
Same to me. I don´t see (real) competition anymore.

It´s maybe i´m getting blind?

Or I´m getting old - you know, this it-was-always-better-the-old-days-thing...
Old 6 Nov 2016, 17:55 (Ref:3686029)   #18
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!chernaudi has a real shot at the podium!
I'm not even 30 years old, and I've felt that way the past 5 or 6 years at least, pretty much across all motorsports. I had sworn off NASCAR after '06 and my enjoyment has been going slowly downhill ever since, but especially the last 5-6 years where I feel that people in motorsports have been making changes for the sake of making changes, throwing crap at a wall, and seeing if it sticks.

Not to mention that I've battled depression my whole adult life, in fact longer than that (since junior high school), have been trying to do stuff for my family, dealing with my grandmother having dementia the past few years, and feeling like my life wasn't being fulfilled. At least now I've started hanging out with high school friends and I'm also in therapy.

I've just also been having a big rose tinted glasses time the past couple of years, seeing the rise of budgets and the tech that drives them. Even 2013 seems like a simpler time compared to now. Maybe in hindsight I should've scaled back then.

Last edited by chernaudi; 6 Nov 2016 at 18:01.
Old 6 Nov 2016, 18:38 (Ref:3686032)   #19
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post

I finally dropped F1 after years of watching it out of habit. Now I'm much happier watching elms, WEC and Blancpain. If you don't enjoy any racing at all then find something you do enjoy.
I've also done the same. F1 is just exhausting to watch. I have NO passion for it whatsoever. I watched more Indycar this year than before.. the rest. meh.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 6 Nov 2016, 18:43 (Ref:3686035)   #20
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post

Not to mention that I've battled depression my whole adult life, in fact longer than that (since junior high school), have been trying to do stuff for my family, dealing with my grandmother having dementia the past few years, and feeling like my life wasn't being fulfilled. At least now I've started hanging out with high school friends and I'm also in therapy.
As someone who also struggles... Having a sense of purpose is very important. And, it sometimes is VERY hard when you don't, or you spend all of your time giving to someone else. When you take time for yourself, it can be a very important reset button.

It's not that you are probably dispassionate about motorsports in general, but, probably more so with life in general. If you don't have a purpose to watch, you won't have a passion to drive you there.

Take care of yourself, and things improve.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 6 Nov 2016, 20:02 (Ref:3686048)   #21
helgi
Veteran

Russian Federation
Sergiev Posad, Moscow Region, Russian Fe
helgi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhelgi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's normal if some hobbies become not as attractive as they used to be. A great thing about motorsports - they force you to study physics, history, strategy (even geography to get known the landscape and weather forecasts better). It's not just a two-hour show with snacks.
And it has to be seen live, not only via streams. I was happy to watch GTs and DTM live - and it's such a great experience even if you have no clue who are the lads in those shiny roaring bangers (I was told so by friends who were not interested in racing but went to track with me).
My fan's career is not that huge. I was growing on DTM (1994) articles in our magazines, then started to watch new DTM and via FIA GT locked on ELMS and FIA WEC. Today I'm frustrated by the way ACO rule the championship and I getting more and more interested in Super GT instead.
And one of the problems why people gave up with watching racing - we have too much information, too much news, too much racing. Just 10 years ago this site was a miracle for me. I found tons of wonderful info here. Today I'm not hungry in news or racing. I really can live without it. I think we handle with information not as careful as in the past.
And spec series is a real shame. It's TV who kill autosport. All that BoPs are only for TV and Internet viewers. If you are at the track you do not need 0,1 seconds photo-finish to be happy.
Old 6 Nov 2016, 20:29 (Ref:3686054)   #22
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Simply put

Find something else to watch racing wise.

there is more to life than circuit racing, watch a rally, go toa drag race, an off road event, a dirt oval, an enduro event, a bike speedway. Anything.

Simply limiting yourself to one form of motorsport or even to 4 wheels is not the greatest way to get enjoyment form motorsport, believe me

You wont be disappointed, but in my experience dies in the wool circuit fans are very snobbish and very hard to please
Old 6 Nov 2016, 22:38 (Ref:3686066)   #23
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMaskedRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by helgi View Post
It's normal if some hobbies become not as attractive as they used to be. A great thing about motorsports - they force you to study physics, history, strategy (even geography to get known the landscape and weather forecasts better). It's not just a two-hour show with snacks.
And it has to be seen live, not only via streams. I was happy to watch GTs and DTM live - and it's such a great experience even if you have no clue who are the lads in those shiny roaring bangers (I was told so by friends who were not interested in racing but went to track with me).
My fan's career is not that huge. I was growing on DTM (1994) articles in our magazines, then started to watch new DTM and via FIA GT locked on ELMS and FIA WEC. Today I'm frustrated by the way ACO rule the championship and I getting more and more interested in Super GT instead.
And one of the problems why people gave up with watching racing - we have too much information, too much news, too much racing. Just 10 years ago this site was a miracle for me. I found tons of wonderful info here. Today I'm not hungry in news or racing. I really can live without it. I think we handle with information not as careful as in the past.
And spec series is a real shame. It's TV who kill autosport. All that BoPs are only for TV and Internet viewers. If you are at the track you do not need 0,1 seconds photo-finish to be happy.

I certainly agree in the context of the WEC in 2016. I think this series has not been interesting at all this year. Audi pulling out along with the new P2's and Porsche coming back to GTE Pro does make 2017 promising though.

2016 in IMSA and Blancpain GT has been fantastic the vast majority of my racing viewership has been those races. As far as not being hungry for racing news. Don't for the L.A auto show is coming up along with the first Daytona tests.

I find it funny that first 2017 season IMSA test comes before the 2016 WEC season ends.
Old 6 Nov 2016, 23:27 (Ref:3686079)   #24
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Motorsport to me is about man and machine vs man and machine at the end of the day - as long as there are drivers in the car and they go fast, I'll continue to watch. I like open, I like spec, and everything in between.

As for your issues... Something I cannot recommend enough is to follow Coach Ep's recommendation. Go to Mid-Ohio for one of the less important events such as the SCCA Majors(or rather, "Super Tour" as it will be known next year). Take a closer look at the Runoffs(all of them since 2009 are viewable on-demand on the SCCA website).

If your issue is that things are too spec, grassroots racing has a lot of interesting and very open classes. Prototype 1 and 2 in particular, but other classes are quite the hotbed of variety in spec as well - the Production, Touring, and GT classes in particular are all wonderfully diverse with a lot of open specs to work in. While there are a lot of spec classes as well, the variety of machinery and creative approaches in most classes is a wonderful thing to behold - particularly in person.

Yeah, the SCCA doesn't have an anything goes class the way NASA does(they really should, though - that'd be a GREAT thing to see at the Runoffs!), but what it has is really worth the look.

Put simply, if that stuff can't rekindle your fire, you truly are burned out on racing and it's time to find another thing to enjoy.

Spend 2017 going to every grassroots event you can at Mid-Ohio, and see if any of it lights that fire you used to have. They're generally $10 a pop - you won't be out a whole lot of money for trying.

These events can be a really eye-opening experience - My viewpoints of racing have changed a LOT since I started visiting the Majors race at Mid-Ohio each year, and I'm going to miss it next year after I move(I sadly won't be in range of any Super Tour event).
Old 7 Nov 2016, 02:29 (Ref:3686117)   #25
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Like some of the other guys said, I'd look into attending some other forms of racing in person just to get out of the rut. I'm planning on going to the Gatornationals the day after Sebring next year. I've never been to a drag race other than local amateur stuff a long time ago and I don't follow NHRA at all but I bet it will be a blast.

If you have any other hobbies, try to focus on them for awhile, or try out some new ones. I don't follow any sports besides racing but I've always enjoyed music, watching and playing in bands, and very recently I've got into mountain biking, actually woods riding on a bike since they don't grow mountains in Florida. Today I zipped through the WEC race on the DVR in about an hour and then went on a 4 hour bike ride in the woods and it was great!

You might just be temporarily burned out on it and need to take some time off.
Old 7 Nov 2016, 02:43 (Ref:3686124)   #26
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here is some good ol grass roots racing.
Beware though, it can be habit forming.
Price to attend is usually $10. Last event
I went to was free.
http://www.chumpcar.com/
They do go to Mid Ohio.
Old 7 Nov 2016, 02:47 (Ref:3686127)   #27
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
schmidder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Or come on out and check out the 25 hours of thunderhill. Grass roots for sure..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 7 Nov 2016, 06:52 (Ref:3686149)   #28
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I will add that living in the UK I am able to go and see juts about anything within a 100 mile radius of where I live so it's far easier to spread yourself a little thinner to see anything you want to see!
Old 7 Nov 2016, 07:16 (Ref:3686153)   #29
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs is going for a new world record!Maelochs is going for a new world record!Maelochs is going for a new world record!Maelochs is going for a new world record!Maelochs is going for a new world record!Maelochs is going for a new world record!Maelochs is going for a new world record!Maelochs is going for a new world record!
I agree with the poster who said fix your life and yourself and then... who cares if you like racing or not?

As another who has battled depression for decades, I know that having a reason to live--Purpose--really Is what it is about (well, at least that is how I see it.) When going through bad spells, Nothing seems very good, and sometimes the stuff which use to energize me and almost literally keep me alive stops working ... which is a sign I need to look for a deeper purpose ... or that I need to address those deeper issues which I was able to hold at bay/keep distracted from by other activities (like watching/following racing.)

Take the time to help yourself. Racing will be fine without you ... what is important is that you are okay with or without racing.

Maybe in time you will find racing excites you again, or maybe it will be field hockey, or bird-watching, or ice sculpture, or photography, or surfing ... who cares? Get right with yourself and whatever you do will be right.
come to be perfectly at peace with how it all works.
Old 7 Nov 2016, 09:05 (Ref:3686186)   #30
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Take a look at historics. I have as I have recently become more disillusioned with modern series, they remind me of what I used to love about the sport.

There aren't that many UK based historic sportscars series that I know of, (as in nothing from the 80s / 90s / 2000s etc) however there is a growing touring car and single seater scene from that era.