Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 21 Jun 2009, 21:14 (Ref:2487837)   #176
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fantastic reporting John,as usual.I was not able to see much of what was going on so its good to be able to read about what I missed whilst in the "office".
Old 22 Jun 2009, 07:42 (Ref:2488068)   #177
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainan View Post
I'd assume the rim then got bent as I spun over the kerbing.
Don't think so, James. Apologies for poor quality pic, but as you can see, the rim is already damaged.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9717wl4.jpg  
Old 22 Jun 2009, 18:38 (Ref:2488500)   #178
Tainan
Racer

United Kingdom
Sussex
Tainan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Don't think so, James. Apologies for poor quality pic, but as you can see, the rim is already damaged.

Can't argue with evidence like that!
Old 23 Jun 2009, 07:55 (Ref:2488818)   #179
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Race 13 - HSCC/FJHRA Historic Formula Junior (Race 2)

28 starters; 23 finishers.

Over a shorter distance this time (just under 15 minutes - 11 laps), it was Jon Milicevic again the clear winner by a little over 5 seconds followed by Mark Woodhouse and Andrew Hibberd, in a repeat of the podium positions in Race 7. Plenty of dicing and good action down the field, and I'll cover some of this off with the pics, which on this occasion I'll spread over two posts.

The Russell Chicane was a pretty busy place during this race and not just in the early stages, although this pic was from early on. It shows John Boyes (88 - Lotus 20 - 18th) ahead of Ian Bankhurst (16 - Gemini Mk11 - DNF - see later!) and Jack Woodhouse (2 - Elva 100 - DNF). Next pic shows two more front engine warriors, but both these finished, Paul Hewes (10 - Lola Mk2 - 21st) and Mark Witherspoon (9 - Elva 100 - 23rd). Pic 3 is of James Denty's pretty Lotus 20 (40) with a slightly bloody nose which finished 10th. Next is the Stanguellini (19) of Jan Biekens, over from Belgium, who was another non finisher. 62 is Simon Armer (Cooper T59 - 5th) and 78 is Paul Smeeth (Lotus 22 - 6th). In the final pic, Andrew Taylor (45 - Britannia) leads Stuart Tizzard, who I more associate with driving the Lenham Spyder sports racer, in Lola Mk2 (3). Tizzard was to pass Taylor and went onto finish 12th whilst the latter finished 14th.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0087wl5.jpg   IMG_0127wl5.jpg   IMG_0139wl5.jpg  

IMG_0154wl5.jpg   IMG_0163wl5.jpg   IMG_0174wl5.jpg  

Old 23 Jun 2009, 08:18 (Ref:2488829)   #180
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 13 - HSCC/FJHRA Historic Formula Junior (Race 2 continued)

Christopher Drake (53 - Elva 300) leads Chris Dinnage (61 - Lotus 20). They had swapped places by the end, finishing 8th and 9th. Les Ely brings the Fairthorpe through (26 - DNF) whilst marshals push the 3 wheeled Gemini of Ian Bankhurst to safety. It had shed a wheel exiting Coram and came to rest in the middle of the track! Drake locks up, and somehow keeps from rearending the Lola of Paul Hewes. Pic 4 is of Crispian Besley and his Elva 100 (14) which finished 16th. James Murray exits the Chicane in his Lola Mk5A (63), but in the next pic he appears to have got it all wrong! 3 abreast (I have the pic to prove it!) into the chicane won't go James! Too much speed or a lock up, or both? Anyway, it was straight onto the grass, forcing Armer (62) to do the same although both recovered the track to finish, James in 4th place. John Hutchison, briefly the meat in this sandwich manages to turn in to take the conventional line and finished 13th.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0193wl5.jpg   IMG_0209wl5.jpg   IMG_0221wl5.jpg  

IMG_0229wl5.jpg   IMG_0237wl5.jpg   IMG_0310wl5.jpg  

Old 23 Jun 2009, 08:32 (Ref:2488837)   #181
James Murray
Racer

James Murray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John. Think there was a car facing the wrong way in the chicane and it was easier to take the path of least resistance than trying to get around them. Thats my excuse anyway. I am still suffering the effects of being exposed to the Norfolk sun from watching the fist hr of the 3hrs on the grass at Russell. Wearing a helmet and balaclava over sun burn not a pleasant experience........
Old 23 Jun 2009, 08:43 (Ref:2488845)   #182
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Well done, James - number 307 in the racing drivers handbook of excuses! I'll have to check on whether there was a car there facing the wrong way!

Yes, it was a hot weekend, even I got burnt which is unusual! You also watched the last half hour of the 3 hours from Russell too. Seem to remember you were speaking to some grey haired bewhiskered old bloke!
Old 23 Jun 2009, 16:32 (Ref:2489159)   #183
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Actually that's 306, 307 is; "I'm sorry I couldn't see the yellows due to the car I was overtaking."
Old 24 Jun 2009, 17:06 (Ref:2489918)   #184
A Driver
Rookie

England
Ashwicken
A Driver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Evening all, just popping in to introduce myself. Had my first play in a race for something like 15 years in the Guards trophy. Paired up with Andy Somerville in his TR4 ( 88 ). Totally enjoyable day, hell of a speed differential!!. I didn't realise there are so many local ( Snetterton ) enthusiasts. Great forum............
Old 24 Jun 2009, 17:19 (Ref:2489935)   #185
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Welcome to our friendly forum AD.
Old 24 Jun 2009, 17:42 (Ref:2489951)   #186
A Driver
Rookie

England
Ashwicken
A Driver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Peter, thank you. Looking forward to contributing.
Old 29 Jun 2009, 08:42 (Ref:2493085)   #187
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 14 - Classic Racing Cars (Race 2)

13 starters; 13 finishers.

Right, I need to get a move on now; falling way behind!

A depleted grid for this race; no Ian Gray, Michael Scott, Allan Rennie or John Waggitt, which provided the opportunity for a new winner, with (see first pic) Cliff Giddens (56 - Brabham BT16) taking the early advantage and building up a healthy lead. Then Alasdair Pike (62 - BT21), after dropping back several seconds from Giddens, suddenly seemed to wake up to the fact that he had an opportunity for outright victory, and inexorably closed down the gap to take the lead and the chequered flag, winning comfortable in the end by 11.7 seconds. Giddens was equally secure in 2nd place with David Brown (11 - BT23C) holding off Chris Lillingstone-Price (85 - Merlyn MkII) for 3rd. Pic 3 shows Steve Wilkinson's always immaculately prepared Brabham BT21B on it's way to 8th, and next we have Andrew Thorpe's March 703 (21) which was 10th. 5th pic is of yet another Class D runner, 9th placed, Steven Hart's Brabham BT15. However, all three were beaten to class D victory by Chris Holland's Brabham BT21. The last pic shows John Rand (73 - Palliser WDB2) and Robert Pomeroy (34 - Brabham BT21B) in their fine battle. They had swapped places by the flag, finishing 5th and 6th respectively, but split by under a second.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0322wl5.jpg   IMG_0326wl5.jpg   IMG_0368wl5.jpg  

IMG_0410wl5.jpg   IMG_0413wl5.jpg   IMG_0444wl5.jpg  

Old 1 Jul 2009, 07:34 (Ref:2494304)   #188
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Race 15 - Classic F3 (Race 2)

16 starters; 14 finishers.

The final race of the meeting and Bill Coombes waltzed his Argo JM6 off into the distance to repeat his earlier victory. Paul Smith similarly reprised his earlier 2nd place finish in the Martini Mk31 and the excitement was left for the final podium position.

The first pic shows Jamie Brashaw (32 - Chevron B47) locking up whilst getting by on the inside of Tom Thornton (42 - Argo JM3) to take 4th. This forced Thornton onto the marbles and prompted him into a spin, and he was to finish 6th. Next we have Paul Dibden (18 - Ralt RT1), Matthew Sturmer (31 - Van Diemen GRD376) and Jonathan Price (30 - March 783). They finished in that order 10th, 11th and 12th, although the gaps between them were somewhat larger by the end. Albert Clements was 13th in his Lotus 69. Andrew Storer failed to finish in his Royale RP27 (72) whilst pic 5 shows Jonathan Price's March 783 (30) again. Having got by Thornton, Brashaw resumed his earlier battle for 3rd with Richard Trott, but try as he might he was unable to wrest the position from Richard. On this attempt from Brashaw to go round the outside into the Russell Chicane, the very experienced Trott keeps a wary eye on where his opponent is going to finish up. The B47 was completely unsettled and ran wide at the exit allowing Trott to dive the B43 up the inside and retake 3rd which he then held to the flag by the surprisingly large margin of 2.5 secs. I should also mention that our member Marcus Mussa brought the Modus M1 home 9th.

And that brought to a close this superb meeting.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0467wl5.jpg   IMG_0476wl5.jpg   IMG_0524wl5.jpg  

IMG_0545wl5.jpg   IMG_0578wl5.jpg   IMG_0584wl5.jpg  

Old 1 Jul 2009, 22:29 (Ref:2494773)   #189
Terry Scannell
Veteran

United Kingdom
North Walsham, Norfolk
Terry Scannell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John,

May I say, perhaps on behalf of all those involved in whatever manner, what a brilliant job you've done with the coverage of this fantastic event.

Certainly tells the full story and fills in a lots of gaps when we may have been otherwise engaged during the weekend.

I am sure that we all really appreciate the many hours you have spent behind the scenes putting all this information together for our benefit. Thank you.

Soon be time to start all over again with next year's 3hr report!! I've already booked the sun again for your superb photos!

Terry
Old 2 Jul 2009, 02:58 (Ref:2494830)   #190
rogerwills
Veteran

New Zealand
London
rogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrogerwills should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well said!
Old 2 Jul 2009, 10:38 (Ref:2494956)   #191
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Cheers, chaps!
Old 2 Jul 2009, 11:31 (Ref:2494980)   #192
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Much appreciated John, as I've said before I learn a lot by reading what was going on around me
Old 2 Jul 2009, 16:38 (Ref:2495105)   #193
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Me too,although I was there all weekend,my view was a little limited,many thanks John.