Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 26 Oct 2012, 13:33 (Ref:3157994)   #51
extramundane
Racer

Benin
Here.
extramundane has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hedlund View Post
There's 2 GT cars on the confirmed list that won't be there. But the team(s) will be...

-mike
Something to do with this?

Quote:
Flying Lizard Statement on Porsche 911 GT3 RSR Transition Announcement

October 26, 2012 – Sonoma, CA – Seth Neiman, Flying Lizard team principal said: "I and the entire Flying Lizard family would like to thank Porsche for their support and partnership over the last nine years. Together we have worked hard and have learned to rely on each other in critical moments, of which there have been many throughout our 100 races and multiple GT championships. Joerg Bergmeister, Patrick Long, Hartmut Kristen, Jens Walther, Uwe Brettel, Alwin Springer, Roland Kussmaul, Hans-Georg Breuer and many others at Porsche get our special thanks, along with the numerous Porsche employees and affiliates in Germany, Atlanta and Southern California who have been an integral part of our team, and with whom we have become close friends. Flying Lizard remains committed to sports car racing, and we look forward to announcing details of our 2013 racing program later this year."
Old 26 Oct 2012, 13:40 (Ref:3158000)   #52
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Big news! Wonder if they are going to Grand-Am?
Old 26 Oct 2012, 13:40 (Ref:3158001)   #53
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
It does sound as though Lizards will be moving on to a new chassis for next year. Are they going to Ferrari, or something else? Interesting.

I wonder who would be the Porsche/Michelin backed team in the ALMS then?
Old 26 Oct 2012, 13:44 (Ref:3158004)   #54
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by extramundane View Post
Something to do with this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
Big news! Wonder if they are going to Grand-Am?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
It does sound as though Lizards will be moving on to a new chassis for next year. Are they going to Ferrari, or something else? Interesting.

I wonder who would be the Porsche/Michelin backed team in the ALMS then?
That's a big one. The release is pretty ambiguous.
Old 26 Oct 2012, 13:49 (Ref:3158009)   #55
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
All development for the 997 has stopped, working on the 991 now. Interesting. Could it be that they are a 991 development team, and this is just semantics?

Last edited by Fogelhund; 26 Oct 2012 at 13:58.
Old 26 Oct 2012, 14:07 (Ref:3158020)   #56
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
All development for the 997 has stopped, working on the 991 now. Interesting. Could it be that they are a 991 development team, and this is just semantics?
The release doesn't really read that way. Unless they are taking the p**s.

Really curious to know what their new direction is.
Old 26 Oct 2012, 14:18 (Ref:3158028)   #57
Livininthinair
Veteran

United States
Colorado
Livininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLivininthinair should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a hard time seeing Flying Lizard in anything other than a 911...
I really hope this is not a sign of them moving to grand am early or poss. going WEC? Definitely my favorite GT team by a long ways - hard to think they would quit racing in America...

Would they miss the last year of ALMS to develop a 991 outside of competition?
Old 26 Oct 2012, 15:06 (Ref:3158055)   #58
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livininthinair View Post
I have a hard time seeing Flying Lizard in anything other than a 911...
I really hope this is not a sign of them moving to grand am early or poss. going WEC? Definitely my favorite GT team by a long ways - hard to think they would quit racing in America...

Would they miss the last year of ALMS to develop a 991 outside of competition?
Without Seth, the Lizards would cease to exist... he isn't going to race forever.
Old 26 Oct 2012, 15:24 (Ref:3158065)   #59
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Without Seth, the Lizards would cease to exist... he isn't going to race forever.
Seth owns the team doesnt he? Nothing stopping him from stepping completely back from driving and running two all pro cars.
Old 26 Oct 2012, 15:35 (Ref:3158077)   #60
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote from Mike Hedlund :

There's 2 GT cars on the confirmed list that won't be there. But the team(s) will be...

-mike
Old 27 Oct 2012, 22:08 (Ref:3158690)   #61
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Lizards to P2?
Old 30 Oct 2012, 01:30 (Ref:3159894)   #62
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Based on all the Prototype teams that have said they are coming or are seriously considering, the 2013 Sebring grid could be better than a lot of folks are predicting. Just the facts so far, add the speculation and who knows?

P1:
Audi x 2 (are evaluating)
Rebellion x 1 or 2 (said they will do a few ALMS events)
Strakka x 1 (looking at a possible full ALMS season)
JRM x 1 (expressed interest)
Muscle Milk x 1
Dyson x 1 or 2 (Mark Patterson said he would like to do this race with them)

P2:
Greaves x 1 (1 announced, maybe 2)
Starworks x 1 (announced)

The P1 grid (maybe 9 cars) alone is worth the price of admission IMO. Then add a P2 grid which we have no idea about at this point. Even if the standard ALMS GT grid shows it will be great, and there will be a couple of extras from WEC (AMR, Krohn) no doubt.
Old 30 Oct 2012, 01:48 (Ref:3159904)   #63
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toyota has a very real chance to win the last real 12 Hours of Sebring.

You'd think that would mean something to them.
Old 30 Oct 2012, 02:01 (Ref:3159911)   #64
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtummer View Post

But they have already said no as it is not in the budget... too bad.
Old 30 Oct 2012, 02:13 (Ref:3159916)   #65
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtummer View Post

They have a two overall victories on record there. They seem to be running to a tight budget so maybe a trip to Sebring for one appearance in a Championship isn't worth it. Also, and I am prompted by your saying 'the last real Sebring,' if it does go dp then quickly the history and heritage is devalued, so the expense of a trip to win it before it declines maybe doesn't make sense. They have their victories there on money spent long ago, they can not match the records of Ferrari, Porsche, Audi at Sebring with a trip in 2013. I am sure accounting rules and I doubt the voices of the few in marketing and engineering that would champion the cause would be heard by accounting and budget.

I already know I will weep when the checkered falls on Sebring next year.
Old 30 Oct 2012, 06:16 (Ref:3159962)   #66
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
Based on all the Prototype teams that have said they are coming or are seriously considering, the 2013 Sebring grid could be better than a lot of folks are predicting. Just the facts so far, add the speculation and who knows?

P1:
Audi x 2 (are evaluating)
Rebellion x 1 or 2 (said they will do a few ALMS events)
Strakka x 1 (looking at a possible full ALMS season)
JRM x 1 (expressed interest)
Muscle Milk x 1
Dyson x 1 or 2 (Mark Patterson said he would like to do this race with them)

P2:
Greaves x 1 (1 announced, maybe 2)
Starworks x 1 (announced)

The P1 grid (maybe 9 cars) alone is worth the price of admission IMO. Then add a P2 grid which we have no idea about at this point. Even if the standard ALMS GT grid shows it will be great, and there will be a couple of extras from WEC (AMR, Krohn) no doubt.
Strakka counted out Sebring in a direct reply to me in Shanghai - Potolicchio's new team have confirmed Sebring (not Starworks)
Old 30 Oct 2012, 17:18 (Ref:3160216)   #67
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Thank you Graham. Are there any others you can add to the list? Or of you cannot name, is there a number you can give on how many more P cars to possibly expect? Autosport had mentioned Strakka was looking at ALMS 2013, maybe just sabre rattling for more rules breaks versus the factory teams I guess.
Also, Greg Pickett mentioned he was looking at a second car in P2 for 2013 at Petit.

Last edited by Canada ALMS fan; 30 Oct 2012 at 17:29.
Old 30 Oct 2012, 18:48 (Ref:3160249)   #68
Graham Goodwin
Veteran

United Kingdom
Epsom UK
Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!Graham Goodwin is going for a new world record!
Also - if Audi do it it will likely be a single car.
Old 31 Oct 2012, 00:50 (Ref:3160411)   #69
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post
Also - if Audi do it it will likely be a single car.
That ..... sounds very cool indeed , had to imagine , but sounds cool !!!
Old 1 Nov 2012, 01:12 (Ref:3160842)   #70
skeeskirrt
Racer

United States
Boney Mountain
skeeskirrt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Goodwin View Post
Strakka counted out Sebring in a direct reply to me in Shanghai - Potolicchio's new team have confirmed Sebring (not Starworks)
Did I hear right that Potolocchio hired Champion Racing?
Old 1 Nov 2012, 01:29 (Ref:3160845)   #71
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeskirrt View Post
Champion, as in raced Porsches then Audi's? I thought they were gone, been gone, lights out, tumble weeds, gone.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 01:43 (Ref:3160848)   #72
19dodge
Veteran

19dodge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeskirrt View Post
He bought Champion Racing's workshop.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 01:47 (Ref:3160849)   #73
PointDSM
Racer

United States
Wisconsin
PointDSM is a back marker
^^^Correct.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 02:23 (Ref:3160853)   #74
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19dodge View Post
He bought Champion Racing's workshop.
Instant creditability
Old 1 Nov 2012, 09:21 (Ref:3160948)   #75
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't see how it makes much sense for Audi to run just 1 car at Sebring.

Being the fastest car in the field isn't a guarantee at all to win Sebring. The track can easily break a car and you can easily wreck in lap traffic. Not to mention new parts and pieces can malfunction. Plus if Rebellion is there, you can't count on every other P1 car failing or having problems.

Audi had 3 cars at this year's race and Muscle Milk would have finished 2nd if they didn't have their problems near the end.