Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 15 Dec 2012, 17:16 (Ref:3178975)   #101
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
I think its great news about the possibility of no Audi being present ..... could well lead to a bigger grid , and tempt many outta the woodwork at the thought of a potential win .
I could see how Audi not being there might encourage additional WEC P1 privateers to give it a go, but beyond that I don't see how it could have much of an impact.

If you're a WEC or ELMS P2 team, you'd still have to finishing ahead of four or five P1 cars to win overall — and even if you think that Muscle Milk and Dyson are suspect in endurance races, there’s the pair of Rebellions to deal with. So it still seems an odds very much against proposition.
Old 15 Dec 2012, 17:29 (Ref:3178977)   #102
pach233
Veteran

United States
Greenville, SC
pach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Confirmation from DSC, Audi will do their regular test schedule at Sebring after the 12 Hours, but will NOT enter the race itself.
Can't say I'm all that sad about it as Audi without Toyota would have been boring anyways but that being said what a joke. If you're going to be there anyway do you care that little about actually winning races that you forego a major race at the track you already at? I mean why run 12 hours by yourself when you can run them in front of an audience of a couple hundred thousand people (at track + watching on tv/internet)? Makes no sense to me, you've already spent the travel money, and your going to incur running costs anyway, might as well get some exposure.
Old 15 Dec 2012, 17:49 (Ref:3178985)   #103
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach233 View Post
Can't say I'm all that sad about it as Audi without Toyota would have been boring anyways but that being said what a joke. If you're going to be there anyway do you care that little about actually winning races that you forego a major race at the track you already at? I mean why run 12 hours by yourself when you can run them in front of an audience of a couple hundred thousand people (at track + watching on tv/internet)? Makes no sense to me, you've already spent the travel money, and your going to incur running costs anyway, might as well get some exposure.
They did that in 2010 too, and actually it may have been even more of a joke back then, as their main rivals back then DID enter the race and then stayed to test as well.
Old 15 Dec 2012, 18:50 (Ref:3179005)   #104
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With no Audis, could Greg Pickett enter 2 Muscle Milk LMP1s?
Old 15 Dec 2012, 18:54 (Ref:3179006)   #105
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pach233 View Post
I don't understand it either. Just goes to show how much they care about WEC/Le Mans compared to everything else.
Old 15 Dec 2012, 19:45 (Ref:3179013)   #106
lucky snake
Rookie

lucky snake should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no surprise, audi hadn't any reason to take part to PLM so didn't run there. Audi hasn't any reason to join sebring 2013, so they won't run there.
Also because in last 2 years they used the previous year model, so what's the clue to run again a 2012 r18 etron/ultra?
Old 15 Dec 2012, 20:18 (Ref:3179015)   #107
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
I could see how Audi not being there might encourage additional WEC P1 privateers to give it a go, but beyond that I don't see how it could have much of an impact
Isnt that enough ?

A P2 aint going to win , whoever said that .

Only if the entire P1 field goes bang , like Pug did at Le Mans a few years ago .
Old 15 Dec 2012, 20:41 (Ref:3179020)   #108
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky snake View Post
Also because in last 2 years they used the previous year model, so what's the clue to run again a 2012 r18 etron/ultra?
In http://www.autoweek.com/article/20121004/alms/121009920 Dieter Gass mention the following reasons:
Quote:
“We hope to be able to go and we are planning to go at this stage, but the final decision has not been made,” he said. “It is a very good preparation for the Le Mans 24 Hours.”

Gass also said that Audi's participation would be “a kind of a farewell” to an event that will be out of bounds when LMP1 machinery likely disappears from U.S. sports-car racing after the new, combined ALMS and Grand-Am series debuts in 2014.
“It would be a nice thing to do after all the years,” he said.
Old 15 Dec 2012, 20:42 (Ref:3179021)   #109
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtummer View Post
With no Audis, could Greg Pickett enter 2 Muscle Milk LMP1s?
He does not have the budget to go to Le Mans, so I doubt that has the budget to run a second car.
Old 15 Dec 2012, 20:51 (Ref:3179023)   #110
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
I don't understand it either. Just goes to show how much they care about WEC/Le Mans compared to everything else.
Or how much they care about championships that bend to their political will compared to everything else. More realistically, they're not keen on repeating 2012 where they absolutely walked away with the thing. At least 2012 gained them valuable points towards the WEC, which proved valuable as in a partial season Toyota gave them a run for their money. In 2013 you beat a small number of privateers and aside from appeasing Audi North America, their guests and fans, what do you gain? I think they've already won Sebring a time or two, they have nothing left to prove. Despite Dieter Gass' kind words.

Also, in 2010 Audi wanted to race, but their 2010 car wasn't ready and Peugeot wouldn't agree to letting them run their 2009 car in slightly upgraded form. It was the epitome of the nonsense that dominated the Audi-Peugeot rivalry.

Gwyllion, I'm sure Greg has the money to do both, but it is already hard to justify running one car, given the exposure. I don't know how the loss of a key rival in the race would be encouragement to run a second car, anyway.

Chris
Old 15 Dec 2012, 21:16 (Ref:3179025)   #111
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Let's hope that Audi's ' withdrawal' convinces JRM to enter now. And maybe Strakka will change their mind on not planning to participate as well (how about an one off joint venture with Starworks... )
Old 15 Dec 2012, 21:18 (Ref:3179026)   #112
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:

Only if the entire P1 field goes bang , like Pug did at Le Mans a few years ago .
2008?
Old 15 Dec 2012, 21:20 (Ref:3179027)   #113
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
He does not have the budget to go to Le Mans, so I doubt that has the budget to run a second car.
Don't be so sure about that. Good chance there will be 2 Muscle Milk entries at Sebring, the second one could be a P1.

EDIT:
Mulsanne Mike tweeted 3 Deltawings have been sold. Could we see them at Sebring? One from Muscle Milk?

Last edited by Canada ALMS fan; 15 Dec 2012 at 21:33.
Old 16 Dec 2012, 00:43 (Ref:3179052)   #114
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
Don't be so sure about that. Good chance there will be 2 Muscle Milk entries at Sebring, the second one could be a P1.
Or it could be a 911.
Old 16 Dec 2012, 01:34 (Ref:3179057)   #115
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
I assume you mean as the rumoured third Porsche GT team and not a GTC entry with IMSA GT3 Cup car they've run for Mark Bullitt in the past. I heard at COTA a second car for MM was almost certain just that the class of the entry was up in the air and that everything was being considered, including P1.
Old 16 Dec 2012, 07:05 (Ref:3179095)   #116
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Or it could be a 911.
You mean a 997 then ..... where did you get this from ?
Old 16 Dec 2012, 07:06 (Ref:3179096)   #117
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
Mulsanne Mike tweeted 3 Deltawings have been sold. Could we see them at Sebring? One from Muscle Milk?
Your kidding !!! ..... any idea who bought them ?
Old 16 Dec 2012, 07:29 (Ref:3179104)   #118
MitchZ06
Veteran

New Zealand
Australia
MitchZ06 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Idiots.
Old 16 Dec 2012, 13:49 (Ref:3179168)   #119
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
You mean a 997 then ..... where did you get this from ?
Thin air. Just putting 1 and 1 together to get 3. Combining rumour of extra gt Porsche and Muscle Milk running another car.
Old 16 Dec 2012, 18:36 (Ref:3179221)   #120
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Where is the extra Pickett car coming from? Last year they ran the P-1 and an LMPC.

L.P.
Old 16 Dec 2012, 18:55 (Ref:3179228)   #121
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyllion View Post
I don't know if I agree with that. They didn't say they did not have enough funds to go to LM but they were 'concentrating on the ALMS'. I think the uncertainty with the merger has a lot to do with it and they probably (like Dyson) won't go unless they are competitive.
Old 16 Dec 2012, 19:12 (Ref:3179234)   #122
lucky snake
Rookie

lucky snake should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
agree, pickett runs in ALMS mainly to promote their muscle milk brand! they have no need to run at le mans or in europe where mucle milk products are unknown. While dyson team knows that they are not good enough against european teams.
Old 16 Dec 2012, 19:35 (Ref:3179239)   #123
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Where is the extra Pickett car coming from? Last year they ran the P-1 and an LMPC.

L.P.
That deal ended very badly after 2 races. If this happens Greg will own both from what I have been told. Regarding funding, Muscle Milk is growing rapidly internationally. In Canada, you can now buy it everywhere whereas a year ago it was almost impossible to find.
Old 16 Dec 2012, 19:43 (Ref:3179243)   #124
TheMightyM
Veteran

TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!TheMightyM has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Isnt that enough ?

Well, you did suggest that with Audi not being there, “could well lead to a bigger grid, and tempt many outta the woodwork at the thought of a potential win.”

Don’t get me wrong, I’d like to see cars in general and more P1s in particular there, since I’m planning on attending. But I just question how many additional cars might come because of Audi’s absence — the universe of P1 privateers is pretty small. Rebellion had already said they’re bring two cars. Pescarolo is out, apparently in general. That leaves what, just Oak, JRM, and Strakka? Don’t know how likely it is to get even one of those to come over, much less two or all three.
Old 16 Dec 2012, 19:50 (Ref:3179246)   #125
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMightyM View Post
Well, you did suggest that with Audi not being there, “could well lead to a bigger grid, and tempt many outta the woodwork at the thought of a potential win.”

Don’t get me wrong, I’d like to see cars in general and more P1s in particular there, since I’m planning on attending. But I just question how many additional cars might come because of Audi’s absence — the universe of P1 privateers is pretty small. Rebellion had already said they’re bring two cars. Pescarolo is out, apparently in general. That leaves what, just Oak, JRM, and Strakka? Don’t know how likely it is to get even one of those to come over, much less two or all three.
Mark Patterson expressed his desire to partially fund a second Dyson for Sebring, a shot at the overall has to increase that I would think. Pickett was a considering a second P1, with Rebellion doing a full ALMS season and a lack of Audi at Sebring he may step up. He is very competitive.