Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Closed Thread

Old 3 Sep 2013, 10:35 (Ref:3298270)   #101
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So, are there any proper speculation or rumours (with some foundation) about 2014 or is this thread simply all about people's fantasies and why it's not as good as Super Touring?
Old 3 Sep 2013, 19:26 (Ref:3298455)   #102
auroan
Veteran

auroan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craner Curves View Post
So, are there any proper speculation or rumours (with some foundation) about 2014 or is this thread simply all about people's fantasies and why it's not as good as Super Touring?
I can't believe more hasn't been made of this so called renault NGTC build backed by some mysterious big bucks
Old 3 Sep 2013, 20:13 (Ref:3298477)   #103
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by auroan View Post
I can't believe more hasn't been made of this so called renault NGTC build backed by some mysterious big bucks
I agree with this. It is certainly a significant sponsor who appears to be looking for talented drivers. They may even have a car running before the end of the year. No other NGTC team ( Toyota don't count as they weren't testing) has tested the previous year with a new car.
Old 3 Sep 2013, 20:19 (Ref:3298479)   #104
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Does anyone have any theories on why the NGTC cars roll around much more than previous rulesets?
''A BTCC engineer who has experience of setting up a NGT car has informed me that due to the short wishbones used in the spec suspension, it is difficult to get the suspension travel required to achieve the optimal setup. Most cars will be using all available suspension travel.''

http://btcctechnical.wordpress.com/

So basically, if the wishbones were longer and designed for each car instead of being mounted to off-the-shelf subframes, they could be setup much stiffer and get the same or more traction.
Old 3 Sep 2013, 20:31 (Ref:3298484)   #105
Thaw Daggerslash
Racer

Thaw Daggerslash should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel View Post
But if that were the case we'd all be crying here about Honda's domination It's hard to get these things right I guess, you'll always piz off somebody. So far, from my point of view as an outsider, I must say Gow is doing a pretty good job.
So what? That's racing. If you aren't fast/competitive enough to win races, build a better car! There's no achievement in winning, when the regulations are heavily in your favour.

Not every race/championship can be exciting or a classic, and we just have to accept that. Every sport has an instance of it not being as exciting as people would like.

I'd rather have a boring season with the best driver/car combo winning easily, like in F1 right now, over what we have in the BTCC, which is blatantly artificial and leads to contrived "entertainment."

The final straw for me came last year at Silverstone, where it was so evident the Hondas had been pegged back to be the slowest things on the straights. If that wasn't a last ditch attempt to get Plato in title contention for a final round decider at Brands, I don't know what is.
Old 3 Sep 2013, 20:53 (Ref:3298495)   #106
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The fact development is aparantly so far on yet no-one knows much about it reminds me of the whole Motorbase NGTC Focus last year, key people must know but just aren't saying! Not complaining as I do like surprises
Old 3 Sep 2013, 20:59 (Ref:3298499)   #107
BtccLee
Veteran

BtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBtccLee should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiiiiiiim View Post
The fact development is aparantly so far on yet no-one knows much about it reminds me of the whole Motorbase NGTC Focus last year, key people must know but just aren't saying! Not complaining as I do like surprises

This is clearly a big sponsor though. Red Bull BTCC team anyone?
Old 3 Sep 2013, 22:33 (Ref:3298560)   #108
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Craner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridCraner Curves should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius View Post
''A BTCC engineer who has experience of setting up a NGT car has informed me that due to the short wishbones used in the spec suspension, it is difficult to get the suspension travel required to achieve the optimal setup. Most cars will be using all available suspension travel.''
Super Tourers never had body roll. Bring back Super Touring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaw Daggerslash View Post

The final straw for me came last year at Silverstone, where it was so evident the Hondas had been pegged back to be the slowest things on the straights. If that wasn't a last ditch attempt to get Plato in title contention for a final round decider at Brands, I don't know what is.
Despite your beliefs and the cynicism, it was just the way the boost calculations worked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BtccLee View Post
This is clearly a big sponsor though. Red Bull BTCC team anyone?
I'm trying to think of anyone in the Clios with a big name sponsor. One Call Insurance?
Old 4 Sep 2013, 07:15 (Ref:3298691)   #109
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
So what? That's racing. If you aren't fast/competitive enough to win races, build a better car! There's no achievement in winning, when the regulations are heavily in your favour.

Not every race/championship can be exciting or a classic, and we just have to accept that. Every sport has an instance of it not being as exciting as people would like.

I'd rather have a boring season with the best driver/car combo winning easily, like in F1 right now, over what we have in the BTCC, which is blatantly artificial and leads to contrived "entertainment."

Right now there's exciting racing, balanced but still featuring the fastest, most competative team/driver at the top of the championship. Win/win to me...
Old 4 Sep 2013, 09:41 (Ref:3298728)   #110
auroan
Veteran

Quote:
I'm trying to think of anyone in the Clios with a big name sponsor. One Call Insurance?
Is the Clio team link just someone putting renault ngtc car and a toca package together in a 2+2=5 scenario... or an actual rumour with some strong base to it ?
Old 4 Sep 2013, 10:10 (Ref:3298739)   #111
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Quote:
Is the Clio team link just someone putting renault ngtc car and a toca package together in a 2+2=5 scenario... or an actual rumour with some strong base to it ?
The quote I've found from Motorsport News is about there being a possible link between the project and a Clio team, but it's unclear who it is. All sounds a bit vague to me, as if the news was leaked out to increase interest in the project and generate more funds.
Old 4 Sep 2013, 11:08 (Ref:3298764)   #112
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
I'd rather the TOCA organisers simply equalise all the power levels, and then let the teams who are then behind on pace are forced to improve their chassis. This whole "build a rubbish car, then get given a massive engine boost" is a nonsense.
Old 4 Sep 2013, 11:18 (Ref:3298771)   #113
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Quote:
I'd rather the TOCA organisers simply equalise all the power levels, and then let the teams who are then behind on pace are forced to improve their chassis. This whole "build a rubbish car, then get given a massive engine boost" is a nonsense.
How can you improve something that has standard parts though? There are limitations. And if you look at it in a positive way, it helps smaller teams compete on more of an even (maybe not the right word) keel with the likes of 888, Dynamics, WSR and Airbase.

As for TO-C's long term contract. Not worth the paper it's written on!
Old 4 Sep 2013, 11:38 (Ref:3298777)   #114
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what i would like to know is why not more drivers are interested in the 2nd pirtek Civic since Jordan is almost champion in similar car
Old 4 Sep 2013, 11:39 (Ref:3298778)   #115
auroan
Veteran

I wonder if TOC's announcement is a bit of ... "I don't want to waste anymore money on a car that is mid pack", a bit of "We're running out of money"

and

maybe a bit 2+2=5 here but...... maybe a drive in an apparently better funded team (ie this Renault build)
Old 4 Sep 2013, 11:43 (Ref:3298781)   #116
porsche962fan
Veteran

porsche962fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
and

maybe a bit 2+2=5 here but...... maybe a drive in an apparently better funded team (ie this Renault build)
Motorbase ? Pirtek? WSR?

Don't think he has the money for Team Dynamics and he wouldn't be allowed at 888 with Plato around....
Old 4 Sep 2013, 11:51 (Ref:3298784)   #117
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
what i would like to know is why not more drivers are interested in the 2nd pirtek Civic since Jordan is almost champion in similar car
Possibly because Jeff Smith may have a lot of money invested in that car. I think he might actually own it.

I'm inclined to agree with you auroan. A little bit of both of your suggestions perhaps. No money and doesn't want to tool about in the midfield getting damage.

I wonder if chairman Gow will get fed up with this constant place swapping and impose newcomer ballast on every new and returning driver they stick in their cars......But that's for the Rockingham thread.
Old 4 Sep 2013, 12:06 (Ref:3298786)   #118
auroan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche962fan View Post
Motorbase ? Pirtek? WSR?

Don't think he has the money for Team Dynamics and he wouldn't be allowed at 888 with Plato around....
WSR = no seats
Pirtek = I thought Smith was only out for knockhill
Motorbase = Possibly ?
Old 4 Sep 2013, 12:13 (Ref:3298789)   #119
Thaw Daggerslash
Racer

Thaw Daggerslash should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Absolutely agree. It is almost like the school sports day mentality "everyone's a winner and we can't have anyone being too good."

Quote:
Despite your beliefs and the cynicism, it was just the way the boost calculations worked out.
"Boost calculations" eg the best excuse to get Plato back into title contention and set up a thrilling (and not at all in any way manipulated) final round.

Anyway, on the TOC thing, I eventually see him going down the GT/sportscar racing route, like Darren Turner did. His recent outings in GT races make me believe he's pretty serious about it.
Old 4 Sep 2013, 12:49 (Ref:3298815)   #120
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Anyway, on the TOC thing, I eventually see him going down the GT/sportscar racing route, like Darren Turner did. His recent outings in GT races make me believe he's pretty serious about it.
It's all down to finances. TOC will get paid by a gentleman driver to pilot a GT. He has to bring money to Tony Gilham to drive the Passat.
Old 4 Sep 2013, 12:50 (Ref:3298816)   #121
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Possibly because Jeff Smith may have a lot of money invested in that car. I think he might actually own it.
That's what I thought as well, but hopefully somebody can confirm it.
Old 4 Sep 2013, 14:21 (Ref:3298888)   #122
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Tony Gilham now talking on twitter about O'Neill, Goff, Onslow-Cole, Scott and two other cars in 2014.....
Old 4 Sep 2013, 14:28 (Ref:3298891)   #123
Jiiiiiiim
Veteran

England
Devon
Jiiiiiiim should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Tony Gilham now talking on twitter about O'Neill, Goff, Onslow-Cole, Scott and two other cars in 2014.....
Gilham promises only good news from now on! Though I think TOC may spoil his plans for 2014 unless Tony has something really good up his sleeve!
Old 4 Sep 2013, 15:34 (Ref:3298921)   #124
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
He talked about running 6 cars this year.

Excuse me if I don't get too excited about this just yet
Old 4 Sep 2013, 16:08 (Ref:3298935)   #125
Craner Curves
Veteran

United Kingdom
Kelso
Quote:
Originally Posted by redshoes View Post
He talked about running 6 cars this year.

Excuse me if I don't get too excited about this just yet
Oh I agree. I've pinched so much salt regarding Tony Gilham and his plans for world domination that I've none left!