Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars. > New Zealand Motor Racing

Notices

Old 9 Feb 2015, 04:02 (Ref:3503145)   #126
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
promax has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
Hmmm, new poster, joined yesterday... or are you just another recycled persona who wants to double post? Your profile is very scant on detail...
isn't there 3 in the company.. yet the poster only gave 2 members a wrap. you do the maths
Old 9 Feb 2015, 05:53 (Ref:3503165)   #127
brmmbrmm
Rookie

brmmbrmm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Boy View Post
Hmmm, new poster, joined yesterday... or are you just another recycled persona who wants to double post? Your profile is very scant on detail...
WTF..... crazy!!
Old 9 Feb 2015, 05:53 (Ref:3503166)   #128
brmmbrmm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by promax View Post
that already happened. it was called the Waikato 250. no one turned up.
Agreed!
Old 9 Feb 2015, 06:35 (Ref:3503171)   #129
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
isn't there 3 in the company.. yet the poster only gave 2 members a wrap. you do the maths
My thoughts exactly promax. Brmbrm are you part of 1070? It doesn't matter if you are or not, but you may as well be honest.

That aside i wish 1070 the best of luck with this hot potato. You just need to look at what TMC did right or wrong and try to innovate from there.
I am glad you guys didnt add another 10 to your prefix as that would make you 1080 and look at how that has divided this country!

But seriously if 1070 can pull it off then great stuff. They have a HUGE task ahead of them. That task, and ultimately 'vision' is to try and repair the shocking state we have right now.

All the best 1070....I hope you can turn things around. But be aware that it will not be an easy task.
Old 9 Feb 2015, 18:22 (Ref:3503348)   #130
brmmbrmm
Rookie

No I'm not part of 1070!. I'm just posting what I've seen and heard at a ground level which is more than you lot second guessing. Sorry thought this was a public forum for public opinion not some aged negative pricks batting on about times gone by.
No wonder the sport is in chaos!
Old 9 Feb 2015, 18:47 (Ref:3503360)   #131
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NZSTfan View Post
My thoughts exactly promax. Brmbrm are you part of 1070? It doesn't matter if you are or not, but you may as well be honest.

That aside i wish 1070 the best of luck with this hot potato. You just need to look at what TMC did right or wrong and try to innovate from there.
I am glad you guys didnt add another 10 to your prefix as that would make you 1080 and look at how that has divided this country!

But seriously if 1070 can pull it off then great stuff. They have a HUGE task ahead of them. That task, and ultimately 'vision' is to try and repair the shocking state we have right now.

All the best 1070....I hope you can turn things around. But be aware that it will not be an easy task.
No it will not be and they will have to think outside the box.

If I was a promotional company and was asked to get involved in this, one of my questions would be is what's the end game? Are they just trying to get through the next year or two flogging around or is the plan to be a profitable, sustainable business over the next decade?

A lot of times we talk about the promotional side of things and the spectator but one issue here is the series themselves, such as NZV8 and the competitor. How do you convince people that they should buy a NZV8 car and then commit to spending a five figure sum(most likely) per race weekend to run in such series. For such an expenditure what exactly are you getting out of it and the answer for the past couple of years seems to be not a lot. For the same sum you could probably buy a bunch of drives in some of the 12 hour sportscar races in the region and drive a much sportier car.
Old 9 Feb 2015, 19:44 (Ref:3503383)   #132
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brmmbrmm View Post
Sorry thought this was a public forum for public opinion not some aged negative pricks batting on about times gone by.
No wonder the sport is in chaos!
You are of course entitled to your opinion but as one of those aged pricks as you put it, I am far from negative, but you can't defend the indefensible. Fortunately I am old enough to remember first hand what it was like 60 years ago without recourse to reading about it.

The fact that the classic meetings regularly attract over 200 or even 300 competitors is proof enough that it is only the modern side of the sport that is in chaos. The fact that the average age of participants is probably north of 50 is enough to show that maybe they know a bit more than the younger set?

Negative comments are posted in an effort to get people to lift their game. No real good ever comes from just patting people on the head and ignoring the blatantly obvious. Or maybe you need to be older than 25 to see the blatantly obvious?
Old 9 Feb 2015, 19:58 (Ref:3503390)   #133
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and what was this "vision"?
Old 9 Feb 2015, 20:18 (Ref:3503396)   #134
Rocket Man
Rookie

Rocket Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar View Post
No it will not be and they will have to think outside the box.

If I was a promotional company and was asked to get involved in this, one of my questions would be is what's the end game? Are they just trying to get through the next year or two flogging around or is the plan to be a profitable, sustainable business over the next decade?

A lot of times we talk about the promotional side of things and the spectator but one issue here is the series themselves, such as NZV8 and the competitor. How do you convince people that they should buy a NZV8 car and then commit to spending a five figure sum(most likely) per race weekend to run in such series. For such an expenditure what exactly are you getting out of it and the answer for the past couple of years seems to be not a lot. For the same sum you could probably buy a bunch of drives in some of the 12 hour sportscar races in the region and drive a much sportier car.
Or you could own a Sprintcar or Midget (for half the cost of a ST/TLX) and run a Western Springs for a lot less expense in front of big crowds and, wait for it, GET PRIZE MONEY, hell how does that work, race, and possibly make money???? (Oh No Entry Fee for competitor either, well not when I was racing anyway, may have changed) And this has been going on for well over 50 years there. And promoter makes money also, how dare he!!!!
Maybe 1070 or MSNZ should look at how they do it, Good advertising, quick fire race after race, look after the competitors and spectators, and maybe twilight meetings going on even under lights, now wouldn't that be something. Outside the square for MSNZ?????
Old 10 Feb 2015, 07:29 (Ref:3503548)   #135
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36ST View Post
With Tier 1 racing representing the pinnacle of motorsport in NZ, does it exist?

Yes indeed it does. Having just spent yesterday at the mighty Skope classic in Christchurch with 255 cars entered and the full-circuit spectators banks packed by 10am on Sunday morning, tier 1 racing does exist. It's called classic motorsport.

Now as for the Tier 2 NZV8 / TRS etc, well that's a different matter it seems.
I saw a lot of cars parading around. Which was nice.
I didn't actually witness anything I'd call racing.

Weather was nice and the beer was cold so I suppose it doesn't really matter.
Old 10 Feb 2015, 09:08 (Ref:3503593)   #136
BlueBlood
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland NZ
BlueBlood should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Icarus, did you want to tell the poor gentlemen with the very bent commodore and camaro that it was only a parade?
Old 10 Feb 2015, 09:33 (Ref:3503599)   #137
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappelli View Post
and what was this "vision"?
^ this
Old 10 Feb 2015, 21:01 (Ref:3503751)   #138
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It's not Toyota mate, it's Toyota Racing - two seperate companies entirely.
Can someone square me up on this as I’ve heard a slightly different take on things;
Toyota Racing Management is the trading name for a local company who manage and run the series, the funding/sponsorship is also local; as in Toyota New Zealand, Toyota Finance New Zealand and a bunch of other locals, which if true would make the below statement 100% factually incorrect.
Quote:
At the moment the $$ is in the overseas market, so any promo company starting out of course would look after those corporates who actually make the series run in the first instant.
Likewise, anyone who has ever been within 200 metres of a marketing budget knows that the below statement is patently and fundamentally wrong.
Quote:
Any advertising is good advertising! Subliminal, gorilla, traditional!
Anyone out there with advertising spend that doesn’t get that, feel free to PM me, I have some great advertising opportunities in Nigeria at very reasonable prices.

If the corporates “who actually make the series run in the first instant” are funding the series out of their local P&L, I would have thought it was pretty peculiar that priority 1 for the promoter has nothing to do with local bang for buck (coverage and attendance)... But hey, interesting to know if that's not the case.
Old 11 Feb 2015, 07:25 (Ref:3503882)   #139
E36ST
Racer

New Zealand
NZ
E36ST should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus_nz View Post
I saw a lot of cars parading around. Which was nice.
I didn't actually witness anything I'd call racing.
You must have missed the Mainland muscle cars. And the Historic Touring Cars. Oh and the Pre 65s.
Old 12 Feb 2015, 00:07 (Ref:3504143)   #140
brmmbrmm
Rookie

You are missing the point. TRS are one of the main backbones behind the MSNZ Race Champ Series. THEIR market is offshore. THEIR drivers are predominantly offshore. That's where alot of their $$ is. Hence the series is broadcast to over 50 countries worldwide.
So of course any promo company would want to look after the main backbones of the events they are promoting. And if that means taking THEIR drivers on a jetboat (at NO cost), good on them. If TV can cover it .... BONUS.
Old 12 Feb 2015, 01:52 (Ref:3504159)   #141
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
socram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsocram should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think you are missing the point. Promoting Tier 1, or TRS? No-one doubts the advantages to Toyota and the International interests relating to TRS, and even the benefits to NZ, but TRS is just one grid - and a healthy one at that.

What most of us are genuinely concerned about is the overall Tier 1 package.
Old 12 Feb 2015, 03:10 (Ref:3504167)   #142
Southern Man
Veteran

New Zealand
Southern Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
I think you are missing the point. Promoting Tier 1, or TRS? No-one doubts the advantages to Toyota and the International interests relating to TRS, and even the benefits to NZ, but TRS is just one grid - and a healthy one at that.

What most of us are genuinely concerned about is the overall Tier 1 package.
I really wish people would get away from using the obsolete expression Tier 1 package for no such thing is in existence any more and has not been for a while now. Circuits are free to run whatever support classes they wish and have the ability to opt out of any class that they do not want. TRS is the package just as the old Tasman Series that attracted the likes of Moss, Brabham, McLaren, Hulme, Stewart, Clark & Hill etc. In later years it was the Formula 5000 group then the Formula Pacific group.
Tier 1 occurred when some saloon drivers took advantage of their being no replacement formula after the Formula Holden series and became the "headline class" at a race meeting. This then followed on into a series in which pretty much only championship classes contested the major summer meetings and were designated as Tier 1 which was about the same time that TRS came on the scene 10 years ago.

Those days are over now and are consigned to the past.

This year, had you been at Teretonga you would have enjoyed a good race meeting, TRS were the show and there was some very good racing and entertainment provided by the supporting classes. Similarly at Timaru where this year the Trucks were the show and again good racing and entertainment from the supporting classes.

I wish that I could be at Manfeild this weekend for again I am confident that TRS will be the show and that there will be good entertaining support from all the other classes at the meeting, I suspect that it will be like a Manfeild meeting of old, I truly hope that it is for they were worthwhile to attend even when one considered the cost/time of travel from Sth Canterbury.

People have to stop living in the recent past, learn the lessons of history and apply them to the future.
Old 12 Feb 2015, 05:10 (Ref:3504179)   #143
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Personally I use “Tier 1” as a catch all for the top tier of the sport... No historic references intended.
In this case, I was under the impression that this was MSNZ’s (or whoever’s) pick as the top of the pile.
There is something that I’m clearly not getting though.

If I’m understanding Brmmbrrm correctly, he’s saying that 10Seventy’s strategy is to make sure TRS teams can get the “bums on seats”?

Again putting aside the fact most of the drivers aren’t “corporates” and that NZONE and the teams appear to have done a fairly effective job over the last few years of attracting drivers, are we saying that that’s 10Seventy’s priority remit from who ever appointed them?

Personally, I would have thought the event promoters biggest challenges were keeping the local corporates happy (in the hope that they might be keen to do some co-pro) and getting as many people through the gate as possible (which no doubt goes a long way to keeping the corporate happy).

Anyway, not meant as a dig at 10Seventy, they sound like they’re having a good time doing it and I’m sure they’re doing the absolute best job they know how.... Even if it’s pretty obvious that they’re learning event promotions on the fly.
What is a pity is that no one will ever put their hand up and say “yep, we had a good look around, asked the best to pitch and these guys nailed it and here’s why” nor admit that the process of appointment would probably contravene most codes of ethics.
Old 12 Feb 2015, 05:22 (Ref:3504180)   #144
The Realist
Racer

The Realist should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tier 1 was / is the pinnacle of NZ National Championship meetings over the Summer, also called The Summer Series.
Catagories racing in this series were generally, almost exclusively, sanctioned championships on the MNZ calendar.
In recent years it all went pear shaped, and this weekend's NZ Grand Prix at Manfeild is the highlight of this years series.
It's a bit like the Melbourne F1 Grand Prix, just smaller.
Let's all put on our best motorsport apparel and head to Fielding for the weekend, and show our support.
The weather looks good to go, and it costs less than Melbourne.
Just tell the promoter, Manfeild, if you don't get value for your entry fee.
Old 12 Feb 2015, 20:37 (Ref:3504353)   #145
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Biggest field of V8TC in a very long time at Manfield. Yip the track are doing their own promotion of the NZGP. As for 10 Seventy, all three of the directors are experts in their own fields by the sound with a massive network across the business, media and sporting sectors.....can only be a good thing to integrate this. Couple of fresh sponsors can make a huge difference. I'm certainly remaining positive until I see otherwise.
this is what I mean about lack of promotion. you're claiming the biggest field of NZV8 in a long time... yet this isn't public knowledge? and the first test session is what.. 10 minutes away? I honestly don't think you have to think outside the box to promote these meetings.. you just need to make sure people know what is happening. Palmy is normally the focus to the lead up to the GP. sure it has a bigger population.. yet how many people living in Feilding are in walking distance to Manfeild? wouldn't it make sense to leave a car or two in the middle of Feilding for a week or two leading up to the meeting.. so people passing through, stopping or actually living there know about the GP? not that promoting shouldn't be done in Palmerston. but you'd think people living in the same town as the track.. would be easier targets to convince to spend their hard earned cash on a ticket. also stop at one of the neighbouring towns in the Manawatu/Wanganui/Wairarapa not named Palmerston North .. and you wouldn't even know the GP is on this weekend. wouldn't a few simply posters or signs fix that? only major track in this part of the country.. their biggest meeting of the year.. this should be an easy sell, shouldn't it?
Old 12 Feb 2015, 20:55 (Ref:3504356)   #146
socram
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Thinking about the promotional side not just of Manfeild. Back in dear old Blighty, ALL tracks are promoted via the white on brown tourist signposts. These are permanent signs which means that if you are indeed a casual traveler and you see a race circuit sign, the tendency is to detour to 'see if there is anything on'. These signs are often around many miles away, particularly Silverstone and Donington and more recently, Goodwood.

Many a time, I detoured via Silverstone or Donington just to see what was happening, even midweek.

I had been in NZ for more than a year or two before I knew that they even had a race tack in Taupo, and it wasn't so easy to find it even when I did know. It still isn't, so no wonder it still struggles to get people in through the gate. With all the people passing through Taupo, you'd think that the new bypass would also have a signpost, given that it is so close.

I'd suggest that it is not just the higher profile meetings that suffer from a lack of promotion, but the tracks themselves that are not properly promoted and it needs support from well outside the motorsport community.

When I was single and mobile, I'd be at a race track or hill-climb just about every weekend, regardless of what the meeting was. Club meet or International, as long as there were plenty of cars on the track, I'd be happy - other than probably a Formula Ford Festival when three quarters of the races were for FFs...

Maybe our Tourism Board or NZTA need to be part of the scene, but given that NZTA opposed Hampton Downs in the first place, I can't see that happening.

This is a country relying on tourism and many foreign visitors would probably make the effort to attend race tracks - if they knew they existed.

Last edited by socram; 12 Feb 2015 at 21:01.
Old 12 Feb 2015, 22:21 (Ref:3504375)   #147
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Quote:
Originally Posted by socram View Post
Maybe our Tourism Board or NZTA need to be part of the scene, but given that NZTA opposed Hampton Downs in the first place, I can't see that happening.
hell.. someone with common sense will do! the problem is there are too many back patters involved thinking they're making a difference. when in reality.. they don't. if you want to sell your product.. take it to the people.. don't expect them to come to you.
Old 14 Feb 2015, 22:37 (Ref:3504998)   #148
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Obviously the 10 seventy fan that posts in here can't count. I'm pretty sure I only counted 14 NZV8. There seems to be a record number of photographers here though. I wonder how many are actual photographers. Hmmm
Old 14 Feb 2015, 23:08 (Ref:3505007)   #149
promax
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
These lunch break corporate rides are a pathetic waste of time! It's no wonder motorsport crowds are low... if this is considered entertainment.
Old 14 Feb 2015, 23:09 (Ref:3505008)   #150
pukekoheracer
Racer

pukekoheracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Obviously the 10 seventy fan that posts in here can't count. I'm pretty sure I only counted 14 NZV8. There seems to be a record number of photographers here though. I wonder how many are actual photographers. Hmmm
What is the record for Photographers at Manfeild?

And do they out number Spectators today please?