Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Mar 2018, 17:14 (Ref:3806663)   #376
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Why are Williams only running the soft tyre, I can't believe they don't want to show their hand?
Old 7 Mar 2018, 17:16 (Ref:3806667)   #377
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
I fail to understand why McLaren, who've won the WDC on twelve occasions across four decades, are the butt of so much ridicule.
Of which 1 WDC (and 0 WCC) have been in this millennium.
Old 7 Mar 2018, 17:16 (Ref:3806668)   #378
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Why ridicule McLaren. Because they have been rubbish for almost a decade while always trying to blame someone else and claiming their car is much better than it appears. I don’t dislike McLardn but the rubbish they’ve come out with in the last 12 months is embarrassing. And running mega-downforce to make the engine look bad and the chassis good. Going to be clear this year how good their car is with two competitors with the same motor. Maybe it will be good but I think that would be a surprise.

Twenty years ago McLaren and Williams ruled the world, now they are both potential laughing stocks.

At Williams it looks like Stroll has some sort of Prema-style “I own the team” deal meaning Sirotkin must always be slower! Only half-joking here.

Last edited by peebee2; 7 Mar 2018 at 17:21.
Old 7 Mar 2018, 17:29 (Ref:3806672)   #379
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Since when is five years nearly a decade? Things started slipping in 2013. The five years before that they had a WDC, three 2nds in the WCC, one third and both drivers in the top five for three consecutive years.

They definitely lost their way with the pursuit of peak downforce rather than a driveable car but they've got the right people in place now. The problems have all been fairly minor but with the cars being so complex it takes a while to get to the bits. At this stage of the year the mechanics have to consult all sorts of documentation when stripping the car so what takes them three hours now will be one hour after a few races.

The amount of miles the Honda has done is nice but doesn't really mean anything until we see performance in anger at Australia. McLaren was capable of racking up miles once Honda had sorted out the incorrect oil tank design last year but distance doesn't mean a lot if you're last.
Old 7 Mar 2018, 19:23 (Ref:3806689)   #380
Hammerdown
Racer

United Kingdom
Clevedon, UK
Hammerdown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems to me that the only thing McLaren excel at these days is PR spin. Always bigging themselves up and failing to deliver and blaming everyone else. It’s almost like they believe it themselves whilst failing to see the real problems staring them in the face. It is interesting to see the other team adapting to a new engine partner doing rather better than McLaren. A team with far less resources. Anyhoo, it is only testing and early days yet. I do hope McLaren can pull it round, but I’m not getting my hopes up too much. There really is nowhere for them to hide this year. Honda must be quietly smiling.
Old 7 Mar 2018, 19:27 (Ref:3806690)   #381
AdrianM
Racer

AdrianM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think you're mixing up McLaren and Honda there. It's Honda who kept saying they would match Mercedes by the end of the first year, be fighting for the WDC in the 2nd etc etc. They're the ones who promised over and over again. McLaren can only go by what they're told the engine is doing on the dyno etc. When it turns out that it was only a one cylinder test engine that was producing the good results.......
Old 7 Mar 2018, 20:09 (Ref:3806700)   #382
Hammerdown
Racer

United Kingdom
Clevedon, UK
Hammerdown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nope. Definitely thinking of McLaren!
Old 7 Mar 2018, 22:53 (Ref:3806735)   #383
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman View Post
I fail to understand why McLaren, who've won the WDC on twelve occasions across four decades, are the butt of so much ridicule.

Alongside Ferrari, they are the absolute bed-rock of F1.
I understand the frustration but can't figure out if folks just don't like McLaren or are disgruntled fans.
Old 8 Mar 2018, 00:22 (Ref:3806752)   #384
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
I understand the frustration but can't figure out if folks just don't like McLaren or are disgruntled fans.
right it could be either or...great question!

i think for me the disgruntledness started back with failure after failure during Kimi's tenure....the Mclarens have been fragile for many many years now.
Old 8 Mar 2018, 06:14 (Ref:3806780)   #385
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianM View Post
Since when is five years nearly a decade? Things started slipping in 2013. The five years before that they had a WDC, three 2nds in the WCC, one third and both drivers in the top five for three consecutive years.
They were poor for around five or six years before two good years in 07 and 08. Since then steadily dropping away, hidden by good driving for a couple of years but steadily declining nevertheless.

Complacency, over-confidence and lack of awareness of their real position shown.

They seem like a modern Lotus. Good results every decade or so, unreliable cars, ever more outlandish ideas but still thinking they are a powerhouse when, in reality, Merc and Red Bull long since left them way, way behind along with Ferrari.

I’d love to see them win but they appear to have a slow, unreliable, sponsorless car, in a team where one driver totally dominates everything and controlling ridiculous PR spin seems the top objective.

Last edited by peebee2; 8 Mar 2018 at 06:19.
Old 8 Mar 2018, 09:03 (Ref:3806792)   #386
karting
Racer

karting should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sky Sports Quote:

“The cynics among you - and we may even find a few of those in the paddock too - will no doubt note with some scepticism that McLaren have once again been the first of the teams to bolt on the hypersofts.

Are they deliberately trying to inflate their pace in order to disguise some car weaknesses?

Absolutely not according to McLaren. They told us yesterday that there were "technical reasons" why the team preferred to run the softer Pirelli tyres this week.

Quite what those 'technical reasons' are is a mystery. As is the question of why none of the other teams seem to feel a similar need.”

I tend to agree with the above and it’s to cover for the first few hours of the day how bad the testing has been and try and get some good PR
Old 8 Mar 2018, 09:04 (Ref:3806793)   #387
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Guy View Post
First red flag for day 2 of test 2.

Guess which car?

Smoke pouring out from engine area and air intake.
Isn't the point of testing to find out these issues so that they can be resolved?

Or are we not as quick to note when Vandoorne tops the time sheets, or when McLaren are leading the number of laps completed?
Old 8 Mar 2018, 09:16 (Ref:3806798)   #388
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
Or are we not as quick to note when Vandoorne tops the time sheets, or when McLaren are leading the number of laps completed?
Read post #332??
Old 8 Mar 2018, 09:21 (Ref:3806801)   #389
F1Guy
Veteran

Antarctica
Driving dangerously
F1Guy User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Honda using a brand new engine for each day of testing??

That's the rumour. Interesting if true. Would explain the mileage without incident.
Old 8 Mar 2018, 09:56 (Ref:3806807)   #390
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
Gary Anderson reckons someone might get into the 1m 16's...
Old 8 Mar 2018, 10:01 (Ref:3806808)   #391
insane014
Rookie

insane014 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently McLaren has shift it's business plan from racing to brand marketing. These blitz fastest times they set each day on ultra-hyper softs are a cry for sponsors to fill out the blank car.
Old 8 Mar 2018, 10:17 (Ref:3806809)   #392
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Read post #332??
Post 332 is hardly praising of the performance though?

Old 8 Mar 2018, 12:53 (Ref:3806840)   #393
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyseeker View Post
Gary Anderson reckons someone might get into the 1m 16's...
Vettel has posted several 17's already today... best a 17.297 (Using the Pink Hyper-soft rubber)
Old 8 Mar 2018, 13:10 (Ref:3806841)   #394
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Read post #332??
Have you got the link to post #332?
Old 8 Mar 2018, 13:54 (Ref:3806849)   #395
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.B View Post
Vettel has posted several 17's already today... best a 17.297 (Using the Pink Hyper-soft rubber)
Now he has trimmed that to a 1m17.182s
Old 8 Mar 2018, 14:10 (Ref:3806851)   #396
littleman
Veteran

littleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridlittleman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My original post (#360) was merely to highlight the apparently different mind-set of two once great F1 Teams.

McLaren appear to be absolutely determined to return to the very sharpest end of the grid and challenge once again for World Titles, whilst Williams give the impression they've given up on that dream.They seem OK with being Best of The Rest, which I find very disappointing.

At least McLaren aren't prepared to settle for mediocracy.....which I applaud.
Old 8 Mar 2018, 14:39 (Ref:3806856)   #397
insane014
Rookie

insane014 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Honda using a brand new engine for each day of testing??

That's the rumour. Interesting if true. Would explain the mileage without incident.
That actually makes sense as they have produced multiple units and they need to assert the overall quality or lack of quality. Maybe with one unit everything is fine but then next two fail right away, that's a concern then.

Right now on the track there are simultaneously running 3 Merc, 3 Renault and 3 Ferrari engines while there is only one Honda. And on top of that I'm positive other manufacturers are slotting new units daily in one of their teams to test different specs.
Old 8 Mar 2018, 15:33 (Ref:3806871)   #398
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
McLaren need to pull something out soon, as they will otherwise spend another season playing catch up. Even they have been impressed by how well the Honda engine in the STR has been so far
Old 8 Mar 2018, 15:56 (Ref:3806879)   #399
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
Vandoorne has just clocked 100 laps for the day in the McLaren, albeit with a garage spell of over 2 hours. Still the lowest lap count of the day but an encouraging sign. Max has the highest count at the moment at 160 laps.
Old 8 Mar 2018, 17:09 (Ref:3806890)   #400
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Stroll on the ultra soft tyre almost 1 sec off the Mercedes on the medium tyre! That can't be right, can it?!