Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 9 May 2009, 11:21 (Ref:2458487)   #1
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sandown Newbies. Any hints?

The Punters annual beerfest moves to Sandown this year and I'd love some local advice...

We'll have a few days in Melbourne beforehand (Kangaroos v Carlton at the Dome, go-karts at Moorabbin, happy hour at St Kilda RSL etc etc) but we've never been to Sandown before.

Seems the VESA fun police have struck again and we can't take alcohol in (legally...) or BBQ's but we're planning on hiring some utes in Melbourne and parking them somewhere along the back straight and leaving them overnight Saturday.

Is that possible?
Can/should we leave them overnight?
Which gate do you have to drive in and when can you get in there?
Or would we be better just catching the train out each day?

Grandstands don't do it for me, so we'll give that a miss.

Would be grateful for any feedback

AP
Punters Beer Fest. Indy 02, Clipsal 03, Winton 04, Paperclip 05, Darwin 06, Oran Park 07, Phillip Island 08, Sandown 09, Townsville 10, Symmons 11, Eastern Creek 12, Winton 13. Townsville 14. Paperclip 15, Sandown 16, Symmons 17, PI 18, The Bend 19
Old 9 May 2009, 23:03 (Ref:2458841)   #2
Silver 3
Veteran

Australia
Sovereign Island
Silver 3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The place I think you are describing is the Dandenong road end (near CorriganRd ) G-7 entrance or the Racecourse Rd entrance. Have no idea if you are able to leave cars there overnight .
Sandown is the strictest circuit in Australia in enforcement of their regulations.

Both areas are excellent viewing of 1/2 the circuit. Only Grandstand high up gives you more at Sandown- but at the price of really only seeing cars on the main straight with no real sense of feeling around the rest of the track.
Old 10 May 2009, 06:28 (Ref:2458899)   #3
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I went to the sandown 500 a few years ago and had grandstand seats.

I spent the majority of the day watching channel 10's coverage on the big screen.

there really wasnt alot to see except the start and then you cant see turn 1 too well , and then they just drive past you all day.

except for some extra activities that happened I really didnt enjoy it , but then Im used to small tracks like Winton where you can see most of the track.

I didnt get over the back straight so i dont know what the rules are over there but it would have been an interesting place to enjoy the race because of the sheer speed down the straight

Doesnt help much but thats my experience of Sandown
Old 10 May 2009, 07:08 (Ref:2458911)   #4
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
I went to the sandown 500 a few years ago and had grandstand seats.
Had a pretty good look around if I remember

If you want to sit past Dandy Rd corner you get there via the main overpass gate, if prior to Dandy Rd (ie over the top) you get in via the gate off Corrigan Rd (through the car park).

I'm pretty sure they let the crowd in on Saturday up on the hill but don't quote me on it.
Old 11 May 2009, 06:18 (Ref:2459757)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA View Post
Had a pretty good look around if I remember
Yes We did , that was my reference to extra activities