Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: Which brand will win the Wilson Security Sandown 500?
AMG Erebus 1 1.96%
Ford 20 39.22%
Holden 27 52.94%
Nissan 3 5.88%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25 Aug 2013, 23:44 (Ref:3293935)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
[iV8SC13R28] Wilson Security Sandown 500 - 13-15 Sept

The season of endurance, the Pirtek Enduro Cup, is here.

Two pilots per car, regular drivers staying in their car, various locals and international names joining the series to ply their trade.

At Sandown.

Sandown, one of the best fan-friendly racing circuits in Melbourne, where a seat in the grandstand will not only keep you out of the sun (hooray!) but you can see almost all of the race circuit from that vantage point

So.. for this one... who's going to win? Who has their stuff together to the extent that you might call them favourites?

A few rounds ago you might have thought 888 was a walk up start to win everything this year, but the last couple of rounds have shown that they are human too. Maybe the two new chassis they are apparently set to roll out for Sandown might improve the breed.

HRT seems to have come back into some form recently, by the 3rd race of the weekend, they seem to have their chassis and pilots and strategy sorted. The big 500 is the 3rd race of the Sandown weekend.

FPR have 3 cars in their arsenal who might be good enough to win. If the strategy goes well enough, the drivers are quick enough, that the shotgun doesnt go off into their feet again... history isnt kind however.

The newbies at Nissan and AMG Erebus should be reliable, if a little slower than they would like in a straight line, and a little thirstier than their performances might like. They should be there all day... to pick up the scraps.. the 2 long straights highlighting the work these two squads still need to do.

There are a couple of smokeys... the likes of #33 with the 2 young fellas aboard can be strong if they all have a good day. So might #12.. or #97..

My pick... an HRT car... not sure if its #2 or #22...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 26 Aug 2013, 04:00 (Ref:3293977)   #2
FPV8U
Racer

Australia
3rd Rock from the Sun.
FPV8U should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm tipping a battle between #22, #5 & #6 for the victory

Courtney/Murphy as much as I'm not a fan of the latter will be very hard to beat.

I wonder how much gain has been found from the former Djr exclusive engine shop Innov8?
Old 26 Aug 2013, 06:13 (Ref:3294014)   #3
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lowndes and Luffy are favourites for sure.

But on form, both HRT cars would be strong. Murphy's the best co-driver available. Percat's in good form racing Porsches this year.

Both FPR cars have got good pairings - Steven Richards and Steve Owen will both do well and are racing regularly, which is important.

I think Whincup might struggle with Dumbrell. He hasn't raced anything in 2 years except the enduros. If he's struggling to get back in the groove then it'll show at Sandown. By Bathurst he might have played himself back in and he's usually been pretty strong there.

I'm curious to see Briscoe line up with Ingall. I wonder if Ryan can do what he did for HRT a few years back and go fastest of all of them.

As a roughie - Scott McLaughlin and Jack Perkins? Perkins is doing well in DVS and McLaughlin, while hot and cold as you'd expect in rookie year, when he's hot, he's very hot.
Old 26 Aug 2013, 06:28 (Ref:3294016)   #4
HProject
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
HProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The guys who will win both enduro's: #1, #888, #22, #5, #6.

The guys who could win either enduro: #2, #97, #33, #55, #14, #8, #12.

Dumbrell's not bad at Sandown (obviously he got his maiden win there), so I think that should balance the fact that he's not fresh. The issue though is that everyone else in the main contender list is actively racing.

I don't think the Nissans or Mercs will be sufficiently sorted-out in time to be threats for the win - but I'd love to be proven wrong.

No idea who I'd pick to win Sandown. At Bathurst I'm picking that FPR's vintage pit-lane antics will be at play and the win will be decided between the #22 and either the #1 or the #888 (whichever one is ahead at the first cycle of pit-stops ).
Old 26 Aug 2013, 08:02 (Ref:3294050)   #5
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Personally, I would love to see BJR have a win with Sandown being one of the late Jason Richards' most faved tracks. But realistically, judging recent form, HRT looks like they're the hot fave.
Old 26 Aug 2013, 08:05 (Ref:3294052)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Personally, I would love to see BJR have a win with Sandown being one of the late Jason Richards' most faved tracks. But realistically, judging recent form, HRT looks like they're the hot fave.
I suspect that the BJR challenge may be compromised to some extent by their choice of codrivers. Each is a safe pair of hands usually, but isnt at the absolute top of the tree to be able to go head to head with the regular series drivers.

Old 26 Aug 2013, 08:59 (Ref:3294086)   #7
DX20VT
Racer

DX20VT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
I suspect that the BJR challenge may be compromised to some extent by their choice of codrivers. Each is a safe pair of hands usually, but isnt at the absolute top of the tree to be able to go head to head with the regular series drivers.

As long as they can stay on the lead lap and pass the car to the regular driver in good shape at the end of their last stint they have to have a chance....
Old 26 Aug 2013, 12:11 (Ref:3294148)   #8
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1 View Post
I think Whincup might struggle with Dumbrell. He hasn't raced anything in 2 years except the enduros. If he's struggling to get back in the groove then it'll show at Sandown.
careful or you'll get howled down by everyone's favourite semantics lover
Old 27 Aug 2013, 04:51 (Ref:3294530)   #9
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Hoping that either FPR cars get the win. But I leaning towards Frosty..
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 27 Aug 2013, 05:12 (Ref:3294534)   #10
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Coulthard / Youlden to upset the favourites.
Old 28 Aug 2013, 04:54 (Ref:3295026)   #11
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axeman444 View Post
careful or you'll get howled down by everyone's favourite semantics lover
I'm always up for some antics.

[BOOM! TISH! I'm here all week folks. Try the veal.]
Old 29 Aug 2013, 00:25 (Ref:3295468)   #12
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ha!
Old 7 Sep 2013, 08:55 (Ref:3300132)   #13
pigs fly
Racer

Australia
327VOR 23DME BNE
pigs fly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is a first Pecky has't posted to date. HAS he gone on holiday and forgot his laptop.
Old 7 Sep 2013, 10:05 (Ref:3300135)   #14
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hmmm like the combo of fabian and Luke, could be a winner or podium
Old 7 Sep 2013, 13:24 (Ref:3300175)   #15
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigs fly View Post
This is a first Pecky has't posted to date. HAS he gone on holiday and forgot his laptop.
going to qld on wed, wont be at sandown. disappointing in someways, will be the first 5l v8 500 race at sandown i have missed

i did vote though in the poll before today
Old 7 Sep 2013, 14:35 (Ref:3300189)   #16
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.speedcafe.com/2013/09/06/...lours-sandown/

The pies are out of the finals race, is this an omen?

Well maybe theres next year
Old 9 Sep 2013, 06:16 (Ref:3300826)   #17
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fomoco View Post
The pies are out of the finals race, is this an omen?
I dunno but its bloody hilarious.
Old 9 Sep 2013, 08:02 (Ref:3300858)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Mr Whincup to debut new chassis for Sandown...

Story Here
Old 9 Sep 2013, 20:28 (Ref:3301186)   #19
Samwhk
Racer

New Zealand
Samwhk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Mr Whincup to debut new chassis for Sandown...

Story Here
The wording of the story has me a little confused (which isn't hard).

Whincup will racing the new one at Sandown, but at Bathurst it will become the Xbox car? Or Whincups old car will be the Xbox car?
Old 9 Sep 2013, 22:02 (Ref:3301217)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samwhk View Post
The wording of the story has me a little confused (which isn't hard).

Whincup will racing the new one at Sandown, but at Bathurst it will become the Xbox car? Or Whincups old car will be the Xbox car?
It is pretty badly worded... I presume its the 'T' car that shall become #10 but its not very clear
Old 9 Sep 2013, 22:45 (Ref:3301234)   #21
twinwebbers
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
twinwebbers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
It is pretty badly worded... I presume its the 'T' car that shall become #10 but its not very clear
That's the way I read it... JDub's old car sits in the shed; JDub gets a shiny new one; Andy and Mattias get the first built chassis, currently a ride car.
Old 10 Sep 2013, 00:32 (Ref:3301266)   #22
pascofi m-sport
Racer

Australia
pascofi m-sport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
okay, my predictions for the weekend.
it will be an epic duel between FPR, 888 and HRT
for those of you who are statistically minded, between FPR, 888 & HRT they have scooped all the wins at the enduros since 2005
888: 13 (5 Bathurst 1000, 3 Sandown 500, 3 Gold Coast 600*, 2 Phillip Island 500)
HRT: 6 (3 Bathurst 1000, 2 Phillip Island 500, 1 Gold Coast 600*)
FPR: 3 (2 Gold Coast 600*, 1 Sandown 500)
*keep in mind the GC600 numbers are for each individual race of 300km*

so, to the form:

888 look good, but question mark over #1 (Whincup/Dumbrell), Dumbrell has not driven any car since last Bathurst, so apart from the co-driver sessions, he is going in cold
#888 (Lowndes/Luff) looks strong, with Luffy keeping his hand in with a solid recent run in Carrera Cup (even with his gear being pinched and then returned).

HRT are fairly solid:
#2 (Tander/Percat) are a potent combination (with Percat keeping 'match-fit' in Carrera Cup.
#22 (Courtney/Murphy) are a genuine darkhorse, Courtney won the most recent race at Winton, and Murf has kept sharp with NZ V8 SuperTourers.
#66 (Ingall/Briscoe) looks more of a long-odds shot, Ingall has hit bad luck, and Briscoe has driven at least 4 different vehicles this year (counting this one).

FPR have been consistent all year:
#5 (Winterbottom/Richards) are always a threat, plus if Winterbottom and Whincup are in their respective cars at the same time, look out! (refer: Pukekohe earlier this year)
#6 (W.Davison/Owen) are a good combo, WIll is after a new contract so solid results should help that cause, Owen has been pedalling last years cars in the Dunlop series and been very quick, so watch #6, they could spring a surprise.
#55 (Reynolds/Canto), continuity helps, and these guys came within a whisker of a surprise win at Bathurst last year, even though Canto has no full-time gig, he is one of those regular plug-him-in-he'll-go-fast guys, #55 as a genuine wildcard.
#18 (A.Davison/McIntyre) has been inconsistant, but both should threaten at least a top 10 during the enduros.

my smokies:
#33 (McLaughlin/Perkins), Jack has been solid in the Dunlop Series, and McLaughlin has been a revelation this year, these guys could pull a shock result out of the hat.
#14 (Coulthard/Youlden), Fabian has had a breakout year, while Youlden is always strong come enduro season, with the form that BJR has shown in enduros in recent years, don't count these guys out.

so, who agrees with my form...
Old 10 Sep 2013, 00:37 (Ref:3301267)   #23
pascofi m-sport
Racer

Australia
plus, i almost forgot...

with V8SC deciding on 4 mandatory pitstops (for Sandown at least), it might be controversial, but think abut it. this will bring strategy into play, who is more hungry, and who will have their car in 'the magic spot' for the final run to the checkers? Hmmm?
Old 10 Sep 2013, 00:43 (Ref:3301269)   #24
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Do we not think that mandatory minimum stops further reduces FPR's chance of success?
Old 10 Sep 2013, 00:49 (Ref:3301272)   #25
pascofi m-sport
Racer

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Do we not think that mandatory minimum stops further reduces FPR's chance of success?
no, but if anything it levels the playing field.