Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 7 Oct 2014, 18:39 (Ref:3461853)   #101
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
gsmith2424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
It begins. DP-style bodywork, spec parts.

http://sportscar365.com/industry/201...e-regulations/

Also, what does "commercial tires" even mean? P2 teams don't have bespoke tires now anyway.
I think they are talking about a spec tire which anyone could buy even lower tiers of racing (SCCA).
Old 7 Oct 2014, 18:58 (Ref:3461855)   #102
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith2424 View Post
I think they are talking about a spec tire which anyone could buy even lower tiers of racing (SCCA).
That's ****ing stupid.
Old 7 Oct 2014, 19:25 (Ref:3461859)   #103
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Positive - TUSC gets it that they need to be open to cars that race elsewhere.
Negative - TUSC lobbying to make P2 the new DP with Carbon Fibre tubs. If this moves forward LMP3 will be more technically interesting, and probably as fast, based on tire decisions.
Old 7 Oct 2014, 19:38 (Ref:3461868)   #104
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
gsmith2424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
That's ****ing stupid.
Agreed. The funny thing is right now in the Michelin Racing Tire book they list a DP tire. See page 4 of the attached link http://www.michelinman.com/mediabin/...orts_Final.pdf
Old 7 Oct 2014, 19:44 (Ref:3461874)   #105
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsmith2424 View Post
Agreed. The funny thing is right now in the Michelin Racing Tire book they list a DP tire. See page 4 of the attached link http://www.michelinman.com/mediabin/...orts_Final.pdf
Shhh! The organizers dont care about that. Can you say "Hoos-ier daddy?" Thats my corny joke for the day, sorry.
Old 7 Oct 2014, 20:12 (Ref:3461883)   #106
lms
Veteran

lms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
so dp it is. ****ing *******s.
Old 7 Oct 2014, 20:17 (Ref:3461886)   #107
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So will they bop the chassis then?
Old 7 Oct 2014, 21:06 (Ref:3461909)   #108
Maelochs
Veteran

Maelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMaelochs will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
IMSA’s VP of technical regulations, Scot Elkins, said. “It’s very important and it’s something that everyone wants.”

Yes, Scot. And most important, it needs to be something the Fans want, or you will be out of a job.

What all the rest of the world wants for their Second-Tier class, you are getting as the top-tier class. If you continue to encourage them to build glorified DPs, you will be where Rolex was ... broke and lonely.
Old 7 Oct 2014, 21:20 (Ref:3461918)   #109
Breitling24
Veteran

Breitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBreitling24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maelochs View Post
If you continue to encourage them to build glorified DPs, you will be where Grand Am was ... broke and lonely.
Fixed that for you, the watch manufacture has been doing very well, thank you.

"Travel makes a wise man better, and a fool worse." Thomas Fuller
Old 7 Oct 2014, 21:26 (Ref:3461924)   #110
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
It begins. DP-style bodywork, spec parts.

http://sportscar365.com/industry/201...e-regulations/

Also, what does "commercial tires" even mean? P2 teams don't have bespoke tires now anyway.
I got a different slant from reading that article. Commercial tires means the same thing we already have in IMSA, so no changes there - unless this gets applied to WEC and ELMS.

For the bodies, they are looking at the ability of manufacturers to include styling cues, like the Aston did perhaps with the Lola? Yes they said similar to what DP has, but then Elkins said:

Quote:
“It’s not full-on manufacturer bodywork but to have the opportunity that if someone wanted to do that, it would be there.”
So I'm thinking more like a late 90's GT1 but without a need for street versions. I'm not thinking this means corvette bodywork will fit on all chassis.
Old 7 Oct 2014, 22:13 (Ref:3461953)   #111
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
So I'm thinking more like a late 90's GT1 but without a need for street versions. I'm not thinking this means corvette bodywork will fit on all chassis.
Yes, Elkins said most manufacturers appeared to be in agreement of utilizing the same bodywork regulations globally, with the design cues similar to the proposed LMP1 Evo concept in 2006-07.
Old 7 Oct 2014, 23:15 (Ref:3461960)   #112
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I got a different slant from reading that article. Commercial tires means the same thing we already have in IMSA, so no changes there - unless this gets applied to WEC and ELMS.

For the bodies, they are looking at the ability of manufacturers to include styling cues, like the Aston did perhaps with the Lola? Yes they said similar to what DP has, but then Elkins said:

There is nothing stopping a manufacturer from building a LolaAstonesque LMP car currently, so I think that is not the sort of branding that the ACO/FIA/IMSA people are discussing. It sounds much more like DPesque decoration at the expense of aero efficiency.

Concerning whether manufacturer bodywork would interchange on all different chassis: If ALL 2017 P2 cars are required to use the same tub, then of course the bodywork will all interchange.
Basically an INDYCAR, with a canopy, fenders and cheesy bodykits.
Old 7 Oct 2014, 23:18 (Ref:3461962)   #113
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
Yes, Elkins said most manufacturers appeared to be in agreement of utilizing the same bodywork regulations globally, with the design cues similar to the proposed LMP1 Evo concept in 2006-07.
In my opinion, the proposed LMP1 evo concept was rubbish.
LMP cars a fine just the way they are!
Old 7 Oct 2014, 23:24 (Ref:3461964)   #114
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
I agree.
Old 8 Oct 2014, 00:06 (Ref:3461976)   #115
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Me too. But it seems 'the manufacturers' don't.

I wonder what those ten manufacturers are made up of. Presumably the current chassis constructors are there, Oak, Oreca, HPD, but so will giants like Ford and Nissan.

Would be interesting to know who has what opinion on what.

Struggling to get my head around what 'manufacturer bodykit' is for Oreca or Oak, for example.

But yes, it does sound like DP Gen 5 instead of P2. Pity to lose all the lovely new coupes that are coming out next year. Good luck trying to sell those with a remaining lifespan of 2 years.
Old 8 Oct 2014, 00:24 (Ref:3461980)   #116
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
Me too. But it seems 'the manufacturers' don't.

I wonder what those ten manufacturers are made up of. Presumably the current chassis constructors are there, Oak, Oreca, HPD, but so will giants like Ford and Nissan.

Would be interesting to know who has what opinion on what.

Struggling to get my head around what 'manufacturer bodykit' is for Oreca or Oak, for example.

But yes, it does sound like DP Gen 5 instead of P2. Pity to lose all the lovely new coupes that are coming out next year. Good luck trying to sell those with a remaining lifespan of 2 years.
I think all the 2015 p2 coupes will still largely be legal, with perhaps some new body parts, since I think the current p1/p2 tub specs will still be in play. The big question is if any of the suspension and other components will fit under the new bodywork.
Old 8 Oct 2014, 00:39 (Ref:3461984)   #117
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
Scot Elkins on Twitter ....April 23rd. Responding to fans concerned with the rumor of a "spec" tub.

Quote:
All, pls realize that for the 2017 car, spec is specification-not single make-all p1 tubs are same specification-exactly the same idea
When asked if the new 2015 P2 coupes would be eligable under 2017 rules.

Quote:
@JAGLeMans: The new cars announced should already have the p1 spec tubs (coupes) should not be an issue going forward
From the Sportscar365 article. October 7th.
Quote:
“We did talk about having a common tub and got some feedback on that,” Elkins said. “We’re looking at everything here because I think the idea is that we have to look at everything again in order to try and meet some of these budget reduction goals we have.”
I guess we weren't all just overreacting after all.
It seems the light at the end of the IMSA "prototype" tunnel just may be a train.
Old 8 Oct 2014, 01:20 (Ref:3461991)   #118
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
There is nothing stopping a manufacturer from building a LolaAstonesque LMP car currently, so I think that is not the sort of branding that the ACO/FIA/IMSA people are discussing.
If said manufacturer also wants to win with it, there is. There's only one fast way to cut air and it's the all wind tunnel way and not the "looks nice" way. But to me this also sounds more like next gen DPs. Would be pretty hard to regulate the kind of LMP evo look.
Old 8 Oct 2014, 06:35 (Ref:3462042)   #119
lms
Veteran

lms should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafan37 View Post
vs: "Scot Elkins was reassuring about the fact of using the current closed cockpit P1 / P2 as the basis for the new regulations"
http://www.endurance-info.com/fr/un-...on-lm-p2-2017/
Old 8 Oct 2014, 07:42 (Ref:3462066)   #120
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now it's going to be a rant of mine as I know that the 2017 LMP2 rules will mostly have spec parts, not to mention having the safety standards of the current LMP1 cars.

However, I think the class itself should aim for privateers more instead of those factory-backed ones like Chip Ganassi and any other Corvette DP team. After all, it was designed for privateers in mind, unlike the LMP1-L.
Old 8 Oct 2014, 13:05 (Ref:3462173)   #121
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
However, I think the class itself should aim for privateers more instead of those factory-backed ones like Chip Ganassi and any other Corvette DP team. After all, it was designed for privateers in mind, unlike the LMP1-L.
I guess we have to assume now that the teams using the current Corvette DP will continue with whatever 2017 P2 concept car GM comes up with. I don't know if that will come with extra support from the factory compared with what Ligier or Oreca could offer, but for the IMSA teams it just might.
Old 8 Oct 2014, 15:19 (Ref:3462232)   #122
Christian Mogami
Racer

Austria
Christian Mogami has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
2017 P2 talks is going the SGT/DTM route with a Spec CF Tub but MR instead of FR.Any Company can make the Spec CF Tub(must pass ACO/WEC crash test).

Horsepower range will be 550-600hp so the 2017 P2 will be about 2-3 seconds faster than the P2 now(450hp).To keep it faster than the GT classes.

The major question is Spec Racing Engine(2.0L I4 Turbo) like SGT/DTM or Production Base Engine.The camp is split at the moment but most likely stay production based to match engine to body.(Corvette/Small Block NA V8,GT40/Ecoboost,NSX/V6 Turbo).
Old 8 Oct 2014, 17:33 (Ref:3462275)   #123
hondafan37
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentine
hondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridhondafan37 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Honestly I like more the style of the 1997 and 1998 GT1 than actually LMP1.
I think the look of the cars will be good.
But this is not the problem
The problem is the large number of Spec parts.
Old 8 Oct 2014, 21:11 (Ref:3462319)   #124
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree about the spec parts...

Edit: I mean I am against it.

The P2 cars however have gotten expensive, how do they curb that?

Last edited by Rcz; 8 Oct 2014 at 21:22.
Old 8 Oct 2014, 21:13 (Ref:3462321)   #125
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
So if we see direct manufacturers involvement in P2 an Am category can't be far away...