Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 30 Jul 2004, 06:38 (Ref:1051648)   #1
Harves
Racer

Tonga
Melbourne
Harves should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will PROCAR survive?

Read this!

http://www.cams.com.au/content.asp?P...e&ObjectID=414
Old 30 Jul 2004, 07:54 (Ref:1051707)   #2
Conrod Kieron
Veteran

Conrod Kieron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad news, but the writing was always on the wall.

I assume catagories can be sold off and AVESCO could take its pick?
Old 30 Jul 2004, 09:11 (Ref:1051752)   #3
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes it will probably will survive - as will the B24.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 30 Jul 2004, 09:33 (Ref:1051772)   #4
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm very close to losing all interest in motorsport. If Procar is broken up and the best categories go to AVESCO i'm not going to bother with it anymore. MIght get the golf clubs out of mothballs and get some exercise as well.
Old 30 Jul 2004, 09:37 (Ref:1051773)   #5
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard an interview with Mr Boyland and he said therewere a lot of problems with namimg rights etc so it has been decided to hand it back to CAMS and find a promotor.
I believe Mr Boyland said he *could* be the promotor.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 30 Jul 2004, 10:09 (Ref:1051798)   #6
pete55
Veteran

So now we are relying on CAMS to do the right thing by motorsport in this country.

Old 30 Jul 2004, 10:28 (Ref:1051816)   #7
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
This will be version 3 of Procar if this works out - maybe Ross Palmer can give a better summary than I can - all is not lost atm is what Mr Boyland said.

Old 30 Jul 2004, 10:50 (Ref:1051843)   #8
Onlooker
Veteran

Onlooker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by pete55
I'm very close to losing all interest in motorsport. If Procar is broken up and the best categories go to AVESCO i'm not going to bother with it anymore. MIght get the golf clubs out of mothballs and get some exercise as well.
It is all well and good to poo hoo AVESCO but the masses just plain didn't like the alternative and failed to part with there cash.
Is is a bit strange that everyone wants to see GTP cars but not willing to pay to see them,dammed if you do dammed if you don't

"Montoya made some last minute changes to his suspension but it seemed to effect it's handling"-Classic
Old 31 Jul 2004, 06:11 (Ref:1052536)   #9
Woody75
Racer

Woody75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can anyone see the Brutes as one of main supports to AVESCO next year
Old 31 Jul 2004, 06:27 (Ref:1052538)   #10
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It would be sad to see a good category head that way.

Pete, golf is looking good aint it, 2004 has just brought so much heart ache.

But as has been said, there is still hope yet for the 5 cateogries to stay together on 1 bill and also for the Bathurst 24 Hour.

Heres hoping, praying
Old 31 Jul 2004, 06:27 (Ref:1052539)   #11
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GTP to the Premier series? Makes a nice fit, so would the APCC. I noticed 25 Sports Sedans have turned up for Eastern Creek the first 7 cars were seperated by 1 secondin qualifying.
Old 31 Jul 2004, 06:50 (Ref:1052548)   #12
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Conrod Kieron
I assume catagories can be sold off and AVESCO could take its pick?
I can't see AVESCO picking up any category bar theirs, V8Supercars.

It would be up to whoever takes over the various PROCAR categories and AVESCO to work out a deal.

A pity if they do go with AVESCO. With Procar all the categories seemed to get equal treatment, they will be very much just treated as a sideshow at AVESCO.
Old 31 Jul 2004, 07:40 (Ref:1052554)   #13
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Without knowing the complete story, it seems a bit strange that the arrangements that were put in place with Proteams not so long ago have been abandoned/undermined. How successful had the recent rounds been? Judging by the poolrite ads on Ch 9, Ross Palmer was still pumping plenty of $ into it, and as was said initially we can't blame him from wanting to stop.

I'd say the Procar series (whatever it should be called now) has one chance of getting the right package together otherwise it will break up and potentially some of the best racing classes in the country could disappear.

Racer69, I would not be surprised to see Avesco go after the V8Brutes at all.
Old 31 Jul 2004, 09:52 (Ref:1052606)   #14
Also a Believer
Veteran

Also a Believer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
HOT TIP

Avesco will be looking at expanding the V8 sounds around most Aussie race tracks next year.

The v8 support catagories will be,

Konica Minolta in an expanded season 7 rounds

V8 brutes at another 7 rounds

FF for their national series if there is one, must confess that as the fields get smaller the national body must be getting a little edgy, 17 cars do not make a national field but thats just me especially when the NSW and Vic state rounds get 30.
With the collapse of Pro car MKII iminent I would see GTP and possibly a revised and utilised f3 tagging along.

But what a weekend, have always thought that the premier catagories should run at the premier events together.
Old 31 Jul 2004, 09:57 (Ref:1052608)   #15
havago
Rookie

havago should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If Ross couldn't make it work with all his money and passion, then I don't think anyone can?

It would be delusional for any promoter to think they can compete with AVESCO in this country. Now is the time to weed out the frail categories and get back to one quality show.
Old 31 Jul 2004, 10:37 (Ref:1052618)   #16
00 XR8
Veteran

Australia
South Australia
00 XR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This seems a bit of a worry, but didn't CAMS used to run all Aussie motorsport categories before the mid-nineties when the AVESCO, PROCAR, Power Tour etc organisations were formed?
“Jamie, Jamie, Jamie. What you have to do is you have to say look; the fact of the matter is that I’m red hot, that Todd Kelly is a ******, I have always thought he was, and I was just mowing him down based on ability”. – Neil Crompton talking to Jamie Whincup, post Bathurst 2005.
Old 31 Jul 2004, 12:08 (Ref:1052643)   #17
pete55
Veteran

You can have all the money in the world but if you don't run the series in an acceptable manner to both competitors and spectators, you won't be a success.
Old 31 Jul 2004, 13:19 (Ref:1052674)   #18
HRT #1
Racer

HRT #1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
pete55, If you rather go play FLOG go for it , but you can't blame AVESCO for the sinking of both HMAS Procar formerly driven by Ross Palmer and now HMAS Procar2 due to their lack of funds which was self evident considering the writing has been on the walls for quite some time now.

You must have been oblivious to this fact.
Old 31 Jul 2004, 13:33 (Ref:1052681)   #19
pete55
Veteran

HRT#1, surely you are smart enough to know if you don't have strong feeder classes in any sporting (or even non sporting) situation then it won't be long before you don't have a worthwhile main act.
In saying that, i agree that Procar was a bit off the mark in regards to vehicle eligibility and parity etc. Trouble is that with a bit of common sense it could have been fixed.
Old 31 Jul 2004, 20:54 (Ref:1052890)   #20
HRT #1
Racer

HRT #1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
HRT#1, surely you are smart enough to know if you don't have strong feeder classes in any sporting (or even non sporting) situation then it won't be long before you don't have a worthwhile main act.
In saying that, i agree that Procar was a bit off the mark in regards to vehicle eligibility and parity etc. Trouble is that with a bit of common sense it could have been fixed.
As to the former that is quite obvious because without any good backup categories and their money combined you can say goodnight to the main game.
As to the later of Procar I agree except it was more the case of been way off the mark in various ways, a few which you already mentioned, but the list is endless.
In saying that, I honestly believe that it maybe a bit to late in trying to reserect Procar because I don't see a bright future if any for Procar not this year anyway sadly to say.

Last edited by HRT #1; 31 Jul 2004 at 20:56.
Old 1 Aug 2004, 00:39 (Ref:1052982)   #21
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would it be unfair to compare the AVESCO/ProCar situation with that of Champcars and IRL in the USA?

For Ross and his dedicated team, this must be pretty gut-wrenching. RP, my thoughts are with you.

For the betterment of the entire motorsport industry in Australia, perhaps it is better to have a single seller-type market as Konica needs a boost as much as ProCar needs a boost and appearing together would provide a symbiotic relationship for both categories.

Sure some people will cry foul, elect to follow a new sport, or become less interested, but in the wider scheme of things, if you look objectively and put aside your ego, passion, self-interest, and personal involvement (if any), then from a business sense it would seem logically.

Channel 10 wants to be known as the home of motorsport, so why was there ever segregation? By packaging the Supercars by BigPong and VB into one show and the Konica/ProCar event into another show, then does the whole sport not win as a whole?
Would it really seem all that bad? It shouldn't if you think of all the business-side of motorsport synergies that would be available.

RP has given Australia ProCar and has struggled to establish a dedicated following. To some his efforts may not seem significant or worthy, but they are truly tremendous and he really does deserve accolades.
Let's get RP's ProCar platform and bolster it to the next level into a package that can become more of a known quantity.

Possibly this is a really bad analogy and I apologise in advance, but it was intended to prove a point, rather than be seen as a p!ss take, but if you were selling coffin handles, would it not make sense to jump into bed with a coffin manufacturer rather than go it alone?
Well that same analogy works with the ProCar scenario if you thing about it. As it stands right now the handles (ProCar) don't really have any coffins ( signifciant Series Structure and exposure) to attach themselves too.

Anyone who puts ego, self-interest, passion, and personal invovement aside and looks at the big picture with objectivity and a vision of bolstering the whole of motorsport would seriously have some issues if they didn't agree.

Perhaps I am wrong, and no doubt the nods of agrreance or the scathing knives of criticism will be upon me shortly, but right now Australian motorsport has a unique opportunity that hasn't really presented itself before to shift the whole of motorsport up the exposure and awareness ladder.

Please don't miss out on this time of golden opportunity!
Old 1 Aug 2004, 04:44 (Ref:1053057)   #22
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Everyone is always whining about how poor the Konica support package is when they race alone, so PROCAR would be a good fit. Both could support each other.

As I've said before Australia, a country of 20 mil, can only support so much professional motorsport. You look at Canada, which has almost 30 mil now, and they can't even barely support a production car series like the APCC.
Old 1 Aug 2004, 05:42 (Ref:1053062)   #23
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow - it was actually mentioned on RPM!

Are Channel 10 ill?
Old 1 Aug 2004, 06:29 (Ref:1053067)   #24
Bigguy
Racer

Bigguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by mountainstar
Everyone is always whining about how poor the Konica support package is when they race alone, so PROCAR would be a good fit. Both could support each other.

As I've said before Australia, a country of 20 mil, can only support so much professional motorsport. You look at Canada, which has almost 30 mil now, and they can't even barely support a production car series like the APCC.
That may well be, but I see real danger in having anything whatsoever to do with AVESCO, which is a huge vacuum cleaner sucking the money out of any alternatives.

It is also a fact of life that the demographic interested in PROCAR-type racing is generally different from the AVESCO followers.. to me, this is a big part of the attraction
Old 1 Aug 2004, 07:55 (Ref:1053096)   #25
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Senna05
Wow - it was actually mentioned on RPM!

Are Channel 10 ill?
Of course... as in "Ding Dong the witch is dead..." Nyah Nyah NyahNyah Nyah

I guess they can now talk about some of the categories moving to the Trackside package on the Konica bill....
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods