Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 22 Aug 2015, 18:07 (Ref:3567721)   #26
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sounds like both the team and the series were hamstrung by the way the rules are written:
http://www.racer.com/pwc/item/120555...ler-withdrawal

Team planning to return at Sonoma.
Old 22 Aug 2015, 21:07 (Ref:3567757)   #27
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic Z View Post
Sounds like both the team and the series were hamstrung by the way the rules are written:
http://www.racer.com/pwc/item/120555...ler-withdrawal

Team planning to return at Sonoma.
No doubt they finish the season, I'm betting(nothing to prove it)that they go to IMSA
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 23 Aug 2015, 01:57 (Ref:3567808)   #28
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic Z View Post
Don't think it's a protest. Press release says they were unable to achieve the maximum boost they were allowed because it was too low.

With that said, the BOP has been lousy on the McLaren for several races.

Whatever the case, a massive bummer.
I think it was a protest. They said their car couldn't run in the spec dictated by bop. I'm sure they could make it run, but would be so far off the pace they decided not to waste their time. This is the only real thing a team can do to protest bop. With no other cars running McLaren, we have to consider politics as well as engineering.
Old 23 Aug 2015, 05:10 (Ref:3567826)   #29
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I think it was a protest. They said their car couldn't run in the spec dictated by bop. I'm sure they could make it run, but would be so far off the pace they decided not to waste their time. This is the only real thing a team can do to protest bop. With no other cars running McLaren, we have to consider politics as well as engineering.
I'm not really up on the technical operation of a racing turbocharger, but I believe the hang up, is that the turbo currently homologated for the Mclaren is simply too big, so that the wastegate is unable to bleed off enough pressure to meet the required levels. This is only a problem at Miller Motorsport Park, where the boost levels allowed are exceptionally low due to the altitude. A smaller turbo would probably work fine, but would be outside the current homologation for the 650S.
Perhaps somebody with a better working knowledge of turbo systems could explain it better.
Old 23 Aug 2015, 05:15 (Ref:3567827)   #30
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://www.world-challenge.com/image...x-A-Ver-93.pdf
Boost allowed pressure chart is on page 3.
Old 23 Aug 2015, 14:03 (Ref:3567926)   #31
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I guess their other option would have been to run with illegal body levels and torch the competition! Probably wouldn't have made a lot of friends that way though....

I understand the need to adjust boost for altitude, but can't we just accept the fact that some cars are better for some tracks? Why does the bop have to make things equal on every single track? I like the idea of some tracks being good for Porsche, some for McLaren, and others for Ferrari. Does it make it less exciting for fans knowing each car has strengths and weaknesses? OK, rant over.
Old 23 Aug 2015, 14:51 (Ref:3567930)   #32
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
Quote:
I guess their other option would have been to run with illegal body levels and torch the competition! Probably wouldn't have made a lot of friends that way though....

I understand the need to adjust boost for altitude, but can't we just accept the fact that some cars are better for some tracks? Why does the bop have to make things equal on every single track? I like the idea of some tracks being good for Porsche, some for McLaren, and others for Ferrari. Does it make it less exciting for fans knowing each car has strengths and weaknesses? OK, rant over.
Completely agree.
Old 23 Aug 2015, 16:07 (Ref:3567945)   #33
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
I'm not really up on the technical operation of a racing turbocharger, but I believe the hang up, is that the turbo currently homologated for the Mclaren is simply too big, so that the wastegate is unable to bleed off enough pressure to meet the required levels. This is only a problem at Miller Motorsport Park, where the boost levels allowed are exceptionally low due to the altitude. A smaller turbo would probably work fine, but would be outside the current homologation for the 650S.
Perhaps somebody with a better working knowledge of turbo systems could explain it better.
Pretty much spot on, you'd be dumping all the boost just to get spool.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 23 Aug 2015, 23:25 (Ref:3568047)   #34
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

I've been trying to say that for the past year and a half....
Old 25 Aug 2015, 00:47 (Ref:3568441)   #35
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
GT races were pretty good, though missing the McLarens, a nice job by Johnny O on the double.

GTS races were fantastic, doesn't get much closer than the race for third between Clucas and Baldwin in race 2.