Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

View Poll Results: LMP1 privateers in 2017 and/or 2018???
Rebellion Racing 27 87.10%
ByKolles Racing Team 26 83.87%
Oak Racing 4 12.90%
SMP Racing 16 51.61%
Strakka Racing 15 48.39%
Greaves Motorsports 2 6.45%
Manor WEC 15 48.39%
Signatech Alpine 5 16.13%
Scuderia Cameron Glickenhaus 7 22.58%
Team SARD 0 0%
Team Penske 0 0%
Courage 1 3.23%
Perrinn Ltd 1 3.23%
Project Brabham 2 6.45%
HPD-Wirth 2 6.45%
Adess AG 1 3.23%
Dome 2 6.45%
Welter Racing 1 3.23%
???OTHER??? 4 12.90%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21 Jun 2017, 11:24 (Ref:3745736)   #176
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I'm skeptical. If this all comes off, we'll have gone from nothing, to an explosion of P1s in a year. Ginetta alone appear to be hoping to field more cars themselves than the current entire P1 class, including factory cars.
I am trying to figure out how the math works in the WEC if you add 7ish cars to the grid. Does that mean the end of GTE-Am from the numbers perspective?
Old 21 Jun 2017, 11:33 (Ref:3745739)   #177
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
I am trying to figure out how the math works in the WEC if you add 7ish cars to the grid. Does that mean the end of GTE-Am from the numbers perspective?
Could do. Or could extend the grid. It's 32 this year, but if you take out the #9 Toyota, #22 G-Drive and #35 Signatech, it's only 29 cars. I know it was limited to 32 cars back in 2015, but I don't know if it still is.
Old 21 Jun 2017, 11:39 (Ref:3745741)   #178
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Is there any chance that we get a P1-L class in the ELMS?
Old 21 Jun 2017, 11:43 (Ref:3745742)   #179
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Might be a chance, but given how strong ELMS is, I'd be a bit worried about touching that. ELMS has now found its place as a feeder class to WEC, with SMP, Jota, Strakka, TDS all making the step up. It'd maybe work against ELMS to introduce them above. But then it would provide more space for the apparent hoard of LMP1-L cars that are about to flood the scene.
Old 21 Jun 2017, 14:44 (Ref:3745796)   #180
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
They've already said that GTE-Am would be the lass under threat if the LMP1 grid increases by enough.

I'd miss the Am drivers, and I love the GTs, but I'm all for privateers in the top class.
Old 21 Jun 2017, 15:24 (Ref:3745807)   #181
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
They've already said that GTE-Am would be the lass under threat if the LMP1 grid increases by enough.

I'd miss the Am drivers, and I love the GTs, but I'm all for privateers in the top class.
What about the 5 spaces opening up for Porsche and Toyota's withdrawal!
Old 21 Jun 2017, 19:56 (Ref:3745858)   #182
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
I don't know if it's just you that keeps saying this or it's wishful thinking from a couple of other members but it's not happening. At least from Toyota who just confirmed they'll be back next year. Not sure why you'd want the manufacturers to leave when we already have interest from privateers with them there or not.
Old 22 Jun 2017, 00:27 (Ref:3745890)   #183
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
If Porsche don't come back, I can't see Toyota sticking around too long. For all I know, both might leave for if no other reason than to get a head start on the 2020 cars. These programs are in the hands of corporate boards, not ours. And after seeing some of the stuff I've seen over the years, not much would surprise me either way.

I think (and outright fear) that Porsche's decision might make or break factory involvement in LMP1, and that'll come down to their board. I wouldn't give Toyota a 100% chance of returning yet, because as we saw with Audi, the board can change their mind at any time.

Not saying that they will, but the boards of several companies have been notoriously fickle with how they spend their money on motorsports.

Of course I did see on Facebook that Toyota pumped 400 million Euros into their LMP1 program this year. I believe that to be impossible and whoever started that one is full of crap. I believe that Toyota are easily spending somewhat more than the 75 million that they're claiming (probably 10-20 million Euros more than 75 million), but 400 million? Extremely inflated figure.
Old 22 Jun 2017, 03:42 (Ref:3745905)   #184
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
If that happened I wonder how long it would take for you to start regretting your wish once you see the impact on series overall is a lot bigger than just 4 cars less on the grid.
Old 22 Jun 2017, 04:11 (Ref:3745910)   #185
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
This was discussed when Audi Sport left. It's not just two less cars on the full season grid or 2-3 less cars at LM. Audi took their sponsorship, fan activation, and promotion with them.
Old 23 Jun 2017, 23:54 (Ref:3746334)   #186
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I suspect that Toyota are spending 82,543,125 euros.
Old 24 Jun 2017, 19:02 (Ref:3746483)   #187
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
IF (if if if) Manor and Rebellion stepped up to LMP1-P then there would be no net change in grid numbers anyway. Depends where the new teams come from.
Old 24 Jun 2017, 19:13 (Ref:3746485)   #188
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike E View Post
IF (if if if) Manor and Rebellion stepped up to LMP1-P then there would be no net change in grid numbers anyway. Depends where the new teams come from.
That is a good point that I hadn't considered. Although I still feel like grid numbers could be up overall if all the expected P1's materialize.
Old 24 Jun 2017, 22:56 (Ref:3746544)   #189
seanyb505
Veteran

United States
Simpsonville, SC
seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!seanyb505 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
I don't know if it's just you that keeps saying this or it's wishful thinking from a couple of other members but it's not happening. At least from Toyota who just confirmed they'll be back next year. Not sure why you'd want the manufacturers to leave when we already have interest from privateers with them there or not.
Dude sat through Le Mans wishing ill on any team competing against corvette.

Not sure of the full through process going into posts...
Old 5 Jul 2017, 17:25 (Ref:3749133)   #190
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Jota looking towards an entry in p1 but need more 'assurance'.
Old 14 Jul 2017, 20:17 (Ref:3751275)   #191
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
from S365 "Nürburgring Friday Notebook"

Quote:
***The Ginetta LMP1 car has continued wind tunnel testing this week, with an on-track rollout currently scheduled for November. It’s understood the British constructor has yet to secure a firm order for a car, although is in dialogue with multiple teams.
Old 14 Jul 2017, 22:12 (Ref:3751303)   #192
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Baldi View Post
from S365 "Nürburgring Friday Notebook"
Hmph, I thought they already had customers the way their original press read.
Old 15 Jul 2017, 00:24 (Ref:3751315)   #193
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Hmph, I thought they already had customers the way their original press read.
I thought the same. So, it looks like the customers wants to see the car before sign. it looks very late on the calendar for a new team to be waiting until november to know if they would have a car. It doesn't looks good.
Old 16 Jul 2017, 00:08 (Ref:3751547)   #194
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
From S365

Nürburgring Saturday Notebook

Quote:
ByKolles team director Boris Bermes said further updates to the car are planned for 2018, although it will not be an all-new chassis.
So, same tube only with updates, no new chassis.
Old 17 Jul 2017, 11:58 (Ref:3752125)   #195
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian Baldi View Post
From S365

Nürburgring Saturday Notebook

So, same tube only with updates, no new chassis.
So their claims of dropping out of this season to build up a new car for 2018 seem to be about as solid as the old engine. I hate to beat on a team full of hard working guys but management seems to be yanking everyone's chain.
Old 17 Jul 2017, 12:21 (Ref:3752131)   #196
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
To be fair, they'll be doing significant upgrades to aero, and possibly designing the new car with serviceability in mind since they want to sell the car to customers. But honestly, reusing the same chassis is going to hurt their chances of getting customers.
Old 17 Jul 2017, 13:18 (Ref:3752142)   #197
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I really don't know what to think. It was supposed that last year they should have re build the current tube but with different suspension geometry and anchorage, but they didn't. That limits their setup and was their excuse about racing against Rebellion last year at some tracks.

I think there could be some kind of conflict with Adess who made the original tube. I really don't know, but they need a new tube and it looks they can't get a new one for some reason.
Old 27 Jul 2017, 12:09 (Ref:3754667)   #198
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So is the highly likely scenario of Porsche withdrawing a good thing or a bad thing for the privateers?
Good that they are in the fight for a podium finish, but bad that they may no longer be contesting a world championship?

I hope a number of teams step up.