Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: Best rookie year of recent times?
Jean Alesi (1990) 3 4.62%
Fernando Alonso (2001) 3 4.62%
Giancarlo Fisichella (1997) 0 0%
Damon Hill (1993) 3 4.62%
Juan Pablo Montoya (2001) 2 3.08%
Michael Schumacher (1992) 7 10.77%
Ayrton Senna (1984) 16 24.62%
Gilles Villenueve (1978) 4 6.15%
Jacques Villenueve (1996) 23 35.38%
Other (please state) 4 6.15%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Old 3 Feb 2004, 10:46 (Ref:861226)   #1
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Greatest Rookie Season Ever?

Which of these guys do you think had the best rookie season, and why? I've generally gone for the first full season, in the case of Hill and Schumacher who started mid-season.
Old 3 Feb 2004, 11:12 (Ref:861244)   #2
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That is an extremely tough question. I'm going to have to think about this one....
Old 3 Feb 2004, 11:23 (Ref:861254)   #3
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've gone with Alesi. Only four drivers on that list didn't have race-winning machinery in their first full season - Alesi, Alonso, Fisichella and Senna.
Old 3 Feb 2004, 11:29 (Ref:861261)   #4
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very good question.

On first thoughts you might say Villeneuve or Hill but they were straight in at the top end of town.

You'd have to include whether the car was a front runner or not.

Hmm, I think I'm going to vote Alesi.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 3 Feb 2004, 11:47 (Ref:861277)   #5
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alesi was going to get my vote. But then Ayrton was in a Toleman, I was born in 1984 so im not sure what was better, a Tyrell or a Toleman. I think Senna probbaly turned more heads then Alesi did, but not to say that Alesi wasnt a headliner.
Old 3 Feb 2004, 11:54 (Ref:861283)   #6
Katieknight1984
Rookie

Katieknight1984 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i voted jv as he was brilliant rookie and nearly become world champ on his first go.
There must be times when Joann Villeneuve still doubts her wisdom in letting Jacques step in to that little kart at Imola all those years ago, but race fans around the world are eternally grateful, for in Jacques we have a racer of the old school, and a legend in his own right.
Old 3 Feb 2004, 12:43 (Ref:861314)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Stewart 1965?
Old 3 Feb 2004, 12:57 (Ref:861326)   #8
DieRitter
Racer

Switzerland
Zürich, Switzerland
DieRitter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Senna 84! No doubt! Don't know any driver who would impress that much driving a Toleman.

JV was great in 96 driving for Williams... But who wouldn't?
Old 3 Feb 2004, 13:06 (Ref:861338)   #9
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Hmmm, don't know why Alonso is up there, his 2003 season was sensational but Webber had a better year in the Minardi IMO.

Very tough call this one. Its almost better to cross names off than pick one from the top.

Alonso is out, Fisi was'nt bad, cant remember Alesi :confused:

I could vote on any of the rest and not loose any sleep.

Now it's getting tough - Montoya & JV get crossed off (top cars and beaten by their team mates), Hill was 'nt bad but that car was the best out there.

3 way tie for me, Michael, Senna and Gilles.

So my vote goes to Senna.
Old 3 Feb 2004, 13:09 (Ref:861345)   #10
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Wrex, me too - I was going to say Senna 1984, who will ever forget the wet Monaco race!
Old 3 Feb 2004, 13:47 (Ref:861390)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Has to be Senna for me - but then it would be, wouldn't it......
Old 3 Feb 2004, 14:49 (Ref:861430)   #12
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Senna, in my opinion.

PS: I don't think that Jacques Villeneuve and JP Montoya were actually rookies. Even though Indy/CART is not Formula 1, but to call their champions as "rookies" is a bit dismissive.

PPS: Can't remember, but I wonder if Nigel was a "rookie" in 1993...
Old 3 Feb 2004, 15:42 (Ref:861478)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Officially, Mansell did win Rookie of the Year in CART in 1993. Considering how many oval races there were, and 4 of his 5 wins came on ovals, it was perhaps justifiable.

Defining what makes a 'rookie' is something of a grey area, but remember that guys who have raced F3000 (since 1999 at least) will know many of the tracks - guys from CART won't.

Alonso more frequently outqualified opposition cars, in a team that was barely prepared in time for the season, and destroyed the previous rated Marques. I think he did much better than Webber - only Mark's lucky but deserved points finish at home would make you think otherwise.

It was only luck that let Ralf beat Montoya, and few drivers have made as much impact on pace as JPM, with some sensational moves such as at Brazil, and his awesome pole laps at Hcokenheim and Spa.

My vote went to Senna though, he did an awesome job in mediocre machinery.

Last edited by BootsOntheSide; 3 Feb 2004 at 15:45.
Old 3 Feb 2004, 15:49 (Ref:861486)   #14
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Senna- superb awesome... in not a great car.
Old 3 Feb 2004, 18:46 (Ref:861665)   #15
x_dt
Veteran

England
Manchester, UK
x_dt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd go for Senna - taking into account that he was in a midfield car and he hadn't raced in F1 prior to his first full season.
Old 3 Feb 2004, 19:17 (Ref:861692)   #16
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
Stewart 1965?
Well, that's what I wanted to say but in the poll it says "...of recent times" so I went for Senna in '84
Old 3 Feb 2004, 19:33 (Ref:861708)   #17
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm a bit bemused as to why the poll says "of recent times" and the thread is titled Greatest Rookie Season EVER.

The best ever is undoubtedly from many years before those on the poll, as Adam and pirenzo correctly state.
Old 3 Feb 2004, 20:40 (Ref:861794)   #18
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
I put other because basically the names listed all refer to those drivers who have entered the sport at F1 level in recent years-the last 15 yrs.
Go back to JY Stewart in 1965, effectively his second yr in single seaters,(the previous yr in F3 with Ken Tyrrell) won Monza and a host of podiums. Denny Hulme in 1966, no wins but a consistent run in points paying positions. Jacky Ickx in 1968, Ferrari V12, won the French GP in Donnington '93 type conditions. The list could go on.
The drivers mentioned above all ran consistently in prime positions and battled with the leaders in F1 on many occasions, sometimes beating them. Jody Scheckter with Tyrrell in 1974 (he only did two or three GP's with McLaren the previous yr)
It doesn't happen as much today because the car has a greater degree of significance in the results and performance of a driver.
Old 3 Feb 2004, 20:42 (Ref:861796)   #19
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
My previous comment was made before I read any of the posts. I'd agree with Adam.
Old 3 Feb 2004, 22:12 (Ref:861886)   #20
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Senna and the Villeneuves. Jacques is the only rookie of the list to have challenged for the title in his first year.
Old 3 Feb 2004, 22:44 (Ref:861937)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by pirenzo
Well, that's what I wanted to say but in the poll it says "...of recent times" so I went for Senna in '84
ooops, I missed the "...of recent times" bit. Is 1984 recent then? If so I'll go for Senna too.

Damon's was good for someone who had done (relatively) little beforehand. Although Kyalami was a shocker!
Old 4 Feb 2004, 00:06 (Ref:862054)   #22
bdhansen
Rookie

bdhansen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Super Tourer
Wrex, me too - I was going to say Senna 1984, who will ever forget the wet Monaco race!

True but Bellof (an 84 rookie too) would have won that race from last place had the race been aloud to continue. Prehaps his underpowered (less power than Senna had) TyrlCosy was set-up better! yeah right! Senna got the points, Stef had the stones to win it and was gaining on him fast. Senna was (and always will be) the best, but you can't be the number one rookie of all time if were are shown up by another rookie in the same year, even if it is just once.
Old 4 Feb 2004, 00:20 (Ref:862065)   #23
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll vote for Alesi as his performances in a mid field car were something special.
Old 4 Feb 2004, 08:33 (Ref:862336)   #24
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Erm, Alesi debuted in 89?!
Old 4 Feb 2004, 08:41 (Ref:862341)   #25
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yep, replacing whatshisname, uhm... Alboreto because Michele was a supposedly Marlboro man and didn't want to drive with Camel sponsorship.
Or something to that effect.