Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 1 Jul 2010, 13:07 (Ref:2720749)   #1
Timmyevo6
Rookie

Timmyevo6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Starting a new race series

myself a 2 friends are interested in starting a new 'single make' series for clubman saloon/hatchback cars.

anyone got any hints or general advice as to how to go about it?

cheers, tim.
Old 1 Jul 2010, 19:02 (Ref:2720874)   #2
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't do it, we have more than enough series at the moment, the last thing we need is another series to dilute entries from existing series.
Old 1 Jul 2010, 19:24 (Ref:2720883)   #3
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You'll need to find a PROPER gap in the market. The pile a load of cash into it and get a few cars running.. not sure what type of car your thinking about. cheap or exclusive?
Old 1 Jul 2010, 21:06 (Ref:2720948)   #4
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'm with rbs. Find an existing series to run with until such time as you can get sufficient entries to run on your own. Nothing annoys me more than yet another similar undersupported series expecting me to give up my time for it while it gets established.

Why would you want to start a new series anyway? Usually the reasons are ego or money. Without wishing to sound condescending, your post sounds more like a whim?
Old 1 Jul 2010, 21:12 (Ref:2720950)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
This should be put in the joke thread !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 2 Jul 2010, 14:39 (Ref:2721163)   #6
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Another reason is discontentment but did'nt this happen with Mazdas ending in 5 car grids for the break-away group and the race at Thruxton I think it was cancelled.
Old 3 Jul 2010, 10:37 (Ref:2721422)   #7
Austinspace75
Racer

England
Cardiff
Austinspace75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Another reason is discontentment but did'nt this happen with Mazdas ending in 5 car grids for the break-away group and the race at Thruxton I think it was cancelled.
It was the other way round wasn't it? The five car grid at Thruxton was what was left of the original grid - with everyone else migrating to the immediately successful 'new' series, which remains very very strong?

Tim, if you're serious (and you may not be once you realise what's involved) then I don't think you should be dissuaded quite as strongly as you have been above. Thus far, the replies you've had relate to a problem that indeed can and does happen i.e. watering down of grids sizes. But that is only one aspect of what is in reality a much more complicated situation.

The grid size problems seem to be affecting the 'old school' clubs like the BARC and BRSCC the most. There are good reasons for this - mostly related to the 'big club' mentality and the constraints/politics that inherently involves.

But where they have been failing to attract new competitors and keep the old ones interested, the growing number of small independant 'not for profit' clubs have been VERY successful. They generally offer better value for money and a better 'service' to the competitor. Quite why some seem so keen on stopping that from happening is beyond me, but thankfully they seem to be losing the battle so who really cares anyway?

If what you're proposing can be implemented in such a way that it provides an attractive alternative to people who might otherwise move out of the sport (e.g. the MX5 example above where the discontentment would have resulted in a net loss of competitors to the sport had an alternative not become available), and you attract some new blood too, then I think you should be very much encouraged and not immediately dismissed in the way that you have thus far in this thread.

Go forth and multiply mate
Old 3 Jul 2010, 12:28 (Ref:2721442)   #8
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Well I did in fact start a new championship through discontentment with some of the rules in Road Saloons including the main one no trailering to the circuit. We were very successful and mainly because sponsorship was secured from day one but these things seem to go round and round in circles.
Old 3 Jul 2010, 12:53 (Ref:2721450)   #9
andrewc
Veteran

andrewc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are probably too many race series as it is. What would make yours unique? Why would people abandon their existing series to race with you?
Old 3 Jul 2010, 18:29 (Ref:2721529)   #10
G.Walker
Racer

Scotland
G.Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
amalgamate, no need for anything new.

New chevron series struggles on at Croft this weekend.
Old 3 Jul 2010, 19:45 (Ref:2721546)   #11
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you have an idea that you want to follow through, put it in writing, send it to me and we will see if we can fit it in within one of our race series. That way you can start building it up without any risk, and then go your own way when numbers are big enough.

Let me know.
Old 3 Jul 2010, 20:05 (Ref:2721550)   #12
Timmyevo6
Rookie

well, thanks for the above comments, glad there are some of you guys out there who think it's possible.

its not run for a 'profit' making reason, its simply that i did some racing in a small series that i've moved on from, dipped my toe into a more higher profile series and immediatly felt out of place. i've look around at other series and yes, they do look good but our idea is unique so quite possibly it will have the legs.

Denis, i'll get something to you once we've decided if it is something we wish to pursue, i'll certainly not be disuaded by the types of comment that state its better to be where your not happy than make something where many could be happy.....kinda what Johnathon Blake did and look at Ma5Da now!!!
Old 4 Jul 2010, 13:45 (Ref:2721777)   #13
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Yeah but in that case did he really start a new series and get new divers in or just nick drivers from the old series, I would say the later. I think MSA should have blocked that if it was just discontentment and nothing new on offer, maybe there was a case if there was a drastic rule change wanted by the drivers but the organisers wouldnt have it and in which case the drivers should have been given more say and then the new series need not have happened. We had a similar thing in a series I occassionaly run in and I know why it was done more for financial reasons and a better deal on entries which was commendable although I never felt that way at the time than anything else and the original series despite it has survived but it was touch and go as the new series was made up mostly of drivers who were doing the old one.
Old 4 Jul 2010, 17:08 (Ref:2721829)   #14
dgpearson
Rookie

England
kings newton nr Donington Park
dgpearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here Here Al
Old 9 Jul 2010, 18:00 (Ref:2724144)   #15
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed too.

Starting another one-make based on cars already racing in another series will only hurt that existing series, and can you be sure that you can fill a grid. That should be the criterea for a clubbie series - can you FILL a grid - if not, amalgamate with something else until it is big enough to do it.

I keep saying it, there should be a mass cull, and a clean sheet of paper fresh start, however the MSA don't have the teeth to do it.
Old 9 Jul 2010, 18:25 (Ref:2724155)   #16
Timmyevo6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman View Post
Yeah but in that case did he really start a new series and get new divers in or just nick drivers from the old series, I would say the later. I think MSA should have blocked that if it was just discontentment and nothing new on offer, maybe there was a case if there was a drastic rule change wanted by the drivers but the organisers wouldnt have it and in which case the drivers should have been given more say and then the new series need not have happened. We had a similar thing in a series I occassionaly run in and I know why it was done more for financial reasons and a better deal on entries which was commendable although I never felt that way at the time than anything else and the original series despite it has survived but it was touch and go as the new series was made up mostly of drivers who were doing the old one.

the Ma5Da series is 1 of the strongest out there, its because the man at the helm had the vision to realise the existing Max5 championship wasn't the right way for him and most others. now they've got +90 entrys for most rounds, split grids and full tele coverage. NOT too bad!

yep, he took many from the existing when he broke away BUT he linked with another series for 1 season and then it went its own way and the majority of the field now probably don't know that the Ma5Da was a breakaway from another MX5 series.

I totally agree with getting involved with another series as a starter but its stupid to say "don't do it coz you'll hurt other series", if racers leave the other series to join another series, thats a reflexion upon their current series!

and yes, a cull of series is needed or perhaps just the ones organising them! lets be honest, most breakaways are more due to difference of opinion or a lack of decent leadership!