Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 23 Jan 2008, 12:59 (Ref:2111937)   #1
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Will Honda or won't they...

...use an engine with pneumatic valves?

Crash.net have posted this article on their website, which to be honest made me chuckle.

http://www.crash.net/motorsport/moto...c_or_not?.html

Wasn't it Honda that came up with the proposal for the 800cc formula? I know it was Honda who wrote the regs for the 800cc engine! And now, the almighty Honda seem to be struggling the most with their own law. Don't worry HRC will be back, I'm sure of that. But after so many HRC domination years, I'm sort of enjoying the moment.

You have to feel sorry for Hayden and Pedrosa, two fine riders, who, as it seems at the moment will face another difficult year.
Old 23 Jan 2008, 17:19 (Ref:2112114)   #2
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
According to motogp.com Nicky tested the evolution pneumatic valve motor in the afternoon session. However, he set his best time with last year's motor. But he said the feel of the new chassis is not right with the old motor. The new motor has smoother power, more rpm, but lower top speed.

In short, Honda have a long way to go.

Repsol Honda's best chance would be a miracle season from Michelin.
Old 23 Jan 2008, 19:10 (Ref:2112175)   #3
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Well, according to Colin Edwards they've already raised their game significantly:

Quote:
“We burned a few laps and I have to say ‘hats-off’ to Michelin and a big thank you! We had problems last year, but without a doubt they have redeemed themselves and more; I am really pleased and we should know better than to doubt Michelin anyway,” he added.
I love the digs he's having at Rossi

Still, I don't think it's enough for Honda and with Hayden so openly confessing the problems he's having with his new bike (he's kinda repeating his comments from 12 months ago) I think HRC still have a long way to go...
Old 24 Jan 2008, 03:27 (Ref:2112395)   #4
agosling
Racer

agosling should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really hope Michelin do get their act together, and given their success in the past I can see no reason that they won't. I just really want to see Rossi suffer for making the change and all the agro he caused over the whole tyre issue.

Honda seems to still be a long way from getting their problems solved, they've built a new bike around a new engine only to find that the new engine is nothing special, they have put the old engine in the new frame and it causes handling issue.

There must be days when Nicky sits and wishes he hadn't turn down Ducati, he is one of the hardest working riders out there and Honda just treats him so badly.
Old 24 Jan 2008, 06:45 (Ref:2112434)   #5
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by agosling
There must be days when Nicky sits and wishes he hadn't turn down Ducati, he is one of the hardest working riders out there and Honda just treats him so badly.
I'm guessing that Nicky will be looking at a few offers this year.
Old 24 Jan 2008, 14:35 (Ref:2112672)   #6
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Meanwhile, Kawasaki debuted a screamer version of their 800cc bike today:

http://www.kawasaki-motogp.com/press...n=press&id=999

Quote:
While the two race pilots racked up the laps, test rider Tamaki Serizawa brought the paddock to a standstill when he debuted a screamer version of Kawasaki's Ninja ZX-RR.

The distinctive high-pitched scream of the development bike was enough to bring a crowd of people out of their pit boxes and onto the pit wall as Serizawa flashed across the start finish line to continue the bike's first shakedown test.
I thought the 800cc bikes were already ear-splitting. Imagine what kind of ear-infection a screamer can cause...

Interesting move by the way. They must have a well advanced engine management system if they think they can use a screamer.
Old 24 Jan 2008, 16:19 (Ref:2112704)   #7
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Hayden ran the new motor today, but again set his best times with this year's chassis and last year's motor. Most of his testing work was with that bike combination.
Old 25 Jan 2008, 09:22 (Ref:2113213)   #8
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Apparently Hondas new pneumatic engine isn't just a tad slow, they also have a problem with the amount of air taken onboard;
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash.net
When testing the latest version of Honda's pneumatic powerplant on day two at Sepang, Nicky Hayden was forced to pit regularly to recharge the system.
However, this sounds like an easy enough problem to solve.

So, Hayden and Honda now have a dillema on their hands. What bike should they use, the new chassis with the new engine, which is supposed to handle real good, or the new chassis with the old engine, which doesn't handle that great but is quick in a straight line.

I'd say carry on with the new chassis and new engine. Rossi proved last year that a great handling bike can still beat the power from Bologna (even on a track with a front stretch longer than a km, Muggello).
Old 6 Feb 2008, 13:41 (Ref:2122448)   #9
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
According to Motogp.com Hayden isn't even using the air-valve-block during the current test at Sepang:

http://www.motogp.com/en/motogp/moto...id=3&section=1

A new engine is expected during the IRTA test at Jerez.

It won't surprise me when HRC start the season with the conventional engine, it seems quick enough during the tests.
Old 6 Feb 2008, 16:05 (Ref:2122540)   #10
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Also plese try and remember that Honda were ver6 quick towards the latter end of 07, that engine was only a teeny bit slower than the Duke, I remember Dani and even Hayden pulling past Loris and Stoner on occasion.

I think youll d=find Honda found a LOT of power in thhat evo engine, I reckon at least 15hp, that would easy be ebough to get speed back, just chucking air valves isnt gonna sort it.

Remember also that HRC have NO experience running them anywhere, HRC has nothing to do with the F1 team, Suzuki, Aprilia and Kwak have many yeasr over them. Yamaha also are a little behind but have used 5 valve tech and stuff to experiment with, though the current motor is 4 v, they even patented a 6v head many years ago
Old 6 Feb 2008, 20:35 (Ref:2122739)   #11
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Interesting to note, the conventional valve spring motor that the Repsol boys are running is not the evo motor from last year. Hayden has been riding the configuration that Dani chose, which is a bit down from the '07 evo motor, at least from Nicky's point of view.
Old 7 Feb 2008, 17:00 (Ref:2123356)   #12
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Yeah, but it's more rideable, according to the little boy, which sounds logical, as the latest evolution of the 2007 engine wasn't a very good match with the new chassis balance wise (according to Nickster).
Old 11 Feb 2008, 13:13 (Ref:2126499)   #13
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
Repsol Honda's best chance would be a miracle season from Michelin.
I hope Nicky keeps his head cool... He hasn't had a lot of positives to say during the wintertests.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sp...ementmichelin/
Old 11 Feb 2008, 17:46 (Ref:2126655)   #14
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If I were him I would start looking for excuses now, HRC will prpbably have done teh same thing again and designed the bike around Pedrobot, they did it before and its notable that the only guy to really go well on the bike is him!

Hayden for anotehr team I hope or start enjoying your riding again in AMA or WSBK!
Old 11 Feb 2008, 23:01 (Ref:2126849)   #15
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder
If I were him I would start looking for excuses now, HRC will prpbably have done teh same thing again and designed the bike around Pedrobot, they did it before and its notable that the only guy to really go well on the bike is him!

Hayden for anotehr team I hope or start enjoying your riding again in AMA or WSBK!
Yep. It wouldn't surprise me to hear rumors by mid season of a new team. The only thing he likes at Repsol Honda are the guys around him. He's pretty much stated that. Suzuki might be tempting if they continue to improve, or maybe Yamaha. Ducati aren't out of the question if Melandri falls flat. Although, I don't think that bike suits Hayden either.
Old 6 Mar 2008, 15:12 (Ref:2145694)   #16
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen

*Shock-Horror* Old machinery for Nicky and Dani according to MCN.

I wonder if Pedrosa hadn't been injured during wintertesting and Honda would have more test-data, if they still hadn't been able to sort out their new bike...

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/sp...dainfirstrace/
Old 6 Mar 2008, 17:24 (Ref:2145786)   #17
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Maybe not a horrid move given the speed of some of the customer teams on the 2007 bike.

But definitely a serious statement.
Old 11 Mar 2008, 08:13 (Ref:2148933)   #18
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
So, in the end both Dani and Nicky rode with a 2007 engine. Dani had the engine in the new frame, Nicky in last years frame.

I'm still confused why Nicky didn't use the new frame. Even though they knew they had problems with the new chassis, wouldn't a race distance under race conditions be a most valuable experience???

Although everybody will agree Pedrosa is a bit of a weird kid, HRC should try really hard to keep him in his team. His performance might have been the most impressive of all of them (28secs in front of Hayden).
Old 29 Mar 2008, 14:21 (Ref:2164518)   #19
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
How quick is that Honda going to be once they ride it out of the garage, all sorted with air-valves in an engine designed to fit in that chassis?

Hayden and Pedrosa are already quite close to the pace with the current machinery.
Old 29 Mar 2008, 17:18 (Ref:2164587)   #20
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
Interesting point. We'll find out at the Estoril post race test.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 20:34 (Ref:2165476)   #21
Stefvh
Veteran

Belgium
Stefvh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't wait for the new engine.

And, hey, HRC, give a 2008-bike to Dovi, you'll get full podiums for the rest of the season.