Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: What score do you give this first Russian race?
10 1 1.43%
9 0 0%
8 0 0%
7 2 2.86%
6 8 11.43%
5 12 17.14%
4 17 24.29%
3 11 15.71%
2 8 11.43%
1 11 15.71%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13 Oct 2014, 13:59 (Ref:3464501)   #26
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Someone has voted this race as a 10! I didn't know Putin was registered on Tenths
Just goes to show the global appeal of 10-Tenths.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 14:03 (Ref:3464502)   #27
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Gave it a 5 - certainly not exciting, and I don't think the TV direction helped - lots of focus on the wrong drivers - and of course the politicians.......

Always intrigued by how people can rate the race when they admit to having fallen asleep - there could have been lengthy stretches of intense battling that you'd never have known about (eh, Tim ) . As it happens, there wasn't, really, although there were some good overtaking (and failure to overtake) moments, as the drivers explored the capability of the new track.

So - by no means a classic, but not a disaster, either.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 14:07 (Ref:3464504)   #28
Jim Craik
Rookie

United States
Saratoga, CA
Jim Craik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The track was OK, the race boring!
Old 13 Oct 2014, 14:24 (Ref:3464511)   #29
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
We had a driver that came from last to second place yet a significant portion of the membership voted 1/10 for the quality of the race.

I think that's extraordinary. But anyway - whatever.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 14:44 (Ref:3464519)   #30
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A 5 from me - and perhaps that is being generous. Nico's mistake robbed us of a decent battle for the lead. There were some battles in the mid field - Riccardio, Vettel, Jenson, Magnusson, Vergne, Kimi, Alonso ,etc. However, for most of the race it was rather flat. I don't think that it was helped by the fact that the TV coverage missed most of Nico's overtakes on his comeback drive. Still don't think the circuit is that great. It looks like it has a good flow to it - at least from what the drivers have said about it - but no exciting corners.

It probably was the worst race of the season - so far anyway.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 15:01 (Ref:3464526)   #31
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
We had a driver that came from last to second place yet a significant portion of the membership voted 1/10 for the quality of the race.

That's only one aspect of the race.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 15:09 (Ref:3464530)   #32
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
That's only one aspect of the race.
The 2nd podium spot is a prestigious accolade. It's a big part of the race and coming from stone last to get second is an achievement, particularly as the initial mistake might break the morale of another driver.

I just remember circa ten years ago being on an F1 forum - not here - surrounded by fans unconvincingly trying to talk up a Schumacher walk-over that had exactly zero passing manoeuvres. It was somewhat surreal. I'm not precisely sure what the tone was here back then but it's a staggering change in expectations nevertheless.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 15:14 (Ref:3464532)   #33
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
The 2nd podium spot is a prestigious accolade. It's a big part of the race and coming from stone last to get second is an achievement, particularly as the initial mistake might break the morale of another driver.

I just remember circa ten years ago being on an F1 forum - not here - surrounded by fans unconvincingly trying to talk up a Schumacher walk-over that had exactly zero passing manoeuvres. It was somewhat surreal. I'm not precisely sure what the tone was here back then but it's a staggering change in expectations nevertheless.
In itself, that's no mean feat but afaic it doesn't reflect on the race as whole.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 15:31 (Ref:3464540)   #34
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

Not in a Merc - let's face facts, it was a piece of cake.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 15:47 (Ref:3464546)   #35
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
As the marks were out of ten I've voted a slightly below average 4. I think the circuit has the ability to provide an exciting race, but it's not their fault that Mercedes are so much quicker than everyone else.
I usually record the races and watch tem when I can, this allows me to fast forward through anything boring. Usually this is just nonsense in the preamble, but yesterday I also did so through a lot of the race (stopping & re-winding if I saw anything interesting, or the graphic to say we were listening to a drivers radio).
I've been watching F1 for a great number of years and sadly think I have seen more races like yesterdays than any other type.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 15:52 (Ref:3464550)   #36
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Exactly... You can't really say you're 'racing' somebody that's 1.5s a lap faster than you. Faster around the corners and down the straights. Rosberg overtook the entire field without a tyre change and with fuel to spare.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 16:00 (Ref:3464551)   #37
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Quote:
He could've easily gotten entangled in midfield and he mastered his demons in relation to that 2nd corner. That was great to see and an achievement.

I mean I found it underwhelming after Bathurst, fine, and there was a an extended lull towards the end but it was an OK race all in all. People are on about funeral processions here, well, that's not what I saw. Maybe I was having WEC flashbacks or something.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 16:39 (Ref:3464567)   #38
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Oh well, we all interpret what we see in different ways...
Old 13 Oct 2014, 17:14 (Ref:3464582)   #39
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
4 - race was ok. boring but kind of nostalgic to see the 1 stop race.

sort of wanted to give it a 0 for Putin being the the drivers podium room. for me it was more propaganda then i care for.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 17:21 (Ref:3464584)   #40
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Oh well, we all interpret what we see in different ways...
Another factor influencing peoples opinions is what they compare the race with, the older you are the more you have to look back on. Let's face it if you saw your first GP in 2000, the Russian race might look fairly typical, however, if you can remember cars coloured Red, Blue, Green or White/Silver, with drivers wearing short sleeve shirts or T-Shirts and simple crash helmets, you will obviously have a very different perspective.

I know I found it totally uninspiring, but can quite understand that to some it was a typical Grand Prix. Then of course, there is the BT period - Before Tilke!

I f you never saw racing on circuits like the original Spa, Rouen, Zandvoort etc. then you can not be expected to understand the views of us OAPs.

We are not grumpy, just nostalgic.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 17:43 (Ref:3464589)   #41
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Another factor influencing peoples opinions is what they compare the race with, the older you are the more you have to look back on. Let's face it if you saw your first GP in 2000, the Russian race might look fairly typical, however, if you can remember cars coloured Red, Blue, Green or White/Silver, with drivers wearing short sleeve shirts or T-Shirts and simple crash helmets, you will obviously have a very different perspective.

I know I found it totally uninspiring, but can quite understand that to some it was a typical Grand Prix. Then of course, there is the BT period - Before Tilke!

I f you never saw racing on circuits like the original Spa, Rouen, Zandvoort etc. then you can not be expected to understand the views of us OAPs.

We are not grumpy, just nostalgic.
Agreed on this, I find the new Tilke tracks tedious and featureless more akin to the old (don't know if they still use them) Indy car tracks that used what appeared to be car parks and airfields that were coned off to look like circuits.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 20:38 (Ref:3464638)   #42
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
With the bathurst 1000 and WEC races on the same day the F1 was not exciting so gets a two from me
Old 13 Oct 2014, 20:53 (Ref:3464650)   #43
skells22
Veteran

skells22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well, i give this a 5 and did you all forgot we needed a calm race after the events of Japan.
Old 13 Oct 2014, 21:16 (Ref:3464659)   #44
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by skells22 View Post
well, i give this a 5 and did you all forgot we needed a calm race after the events of Japan.
Motorsport is dangerous and no one wants to see a repeat of the events in Japan but at he same time no one wants to see a tedious race, like the one in Sochi.
Old 14 Oct 2014, 01:46 (Ref:3464770)   #45
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
The painted lines around the track were quite pretty, so it was not all dull, and we did get to see Mr Putin and that other dictator sitting together in shirt sleeves. Very relaxed!

And no one was hit by a missile!! Perhaps I have been a little harsh in my initial judgement?

Bauble.

PS: Why is there not a 'turkey' icon?
Brlliant post..... I am going to you some rep for this one !
Old 14 Oct 2014, 01:52 (Ref:3464773)   #46
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Someone has voted this race as a 10! I didn't know Putin was registered on Tenths
We let anyone join !
Old 14 Oct 2014, 03:54 (Ref:3464797)   #47
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brutal race. I gave it a one at best. This made me want to quit watching F1 altogether. The commentary was horrendous because Brundle and the other guy really didn't know what to say....and they said that themselves.
Old 14 Oct 2014, 04:46 (Ref:3464812)   #48
naca
Racer

naca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
0, turgid boring race, especially after watching a really good one earlier in the day.
Old 14 Oct 2014, 09:17 (Ref:3464892)   #49
bauble
Veteran

England
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Brlliant post..... I am going to you some rep for this one !
Thank you Jeremy, much appreciated, I am not too sure about your comment, but then I am too old for this 'txt' stuff! However, it is not dissimilar to one I received from the KGB.

"We'll keep the red flag ......................."

Kind regards,

Bauble.
Old 14 Oct 2014, 09:19 (Ref:3464893)   #50
bauble
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by naca View Post
0, turgid boring race, especially after watching a really good one earlier in the day.
Wish I had thought of that wording to describe it.