Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Oct 2014, 08:59 (Ref:3467883)   #1
Pontlieue
Racer

Pontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridPontlieue should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marussia could miss Austin?

According to several media, including Auto Motor und Sport, Marussia needs attitional funding to make it to Austin and Sao Paulo.

So F1 could be down to an 18-car grid at Austin...

At the same time, Autosport reports that third cars won't be mandatory for 2014.
Old 24 Oct 2014, 09:38 (Ref:3467894)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Story Here

18 cars? boo..
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 24 Oct 2014, 14:16 (Ref:3467956)   #3
ger80
Veteran

Germany
Birmingham
ger80 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The contract with CVC would not valid anymore?
Old 24 Oct 2014, 14:36 (Ref:3467960)   #4
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
that'd be crap news. i figured they'd make it with one car, but not two. but then what's the point in going all that way and running only 1 car?
Old 24 Oct 2014, 23:01 (Ref:3468107)   #5
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess it's not a surprise, but it's still rubbish watching F1 crumble.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 03:43 (Ref:3468150)   #6
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
F1 is certainly not what she used to be
Old 25 Oct 2014, 09:55 (Ref:3468235)   #7
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Marussia's absence in Austin now confirmed by the BBC, quoting Ecclestone: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/29770496
Old 25 Oct 2014, 10:04 (Ref:3468238)   #8
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its a sad but realistic reflection on F1 if we loose 2 teams because of a totally unsustainable financial model that we now have if F1.
I suspect that there are one or two other teams that are facing severe financial difficulties as well.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 10:13 (Ref:3468242)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
there's definitely one not far off the position caterham and marussia are in. thought a second one had sorted themselves out a bit?
Old 25 Oct 2014, 11:05 (Ref:3468257)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Harte View Post
Marussia's absence in Austin now confirmed by the BBC, quoting Ecclestone: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/29770496
Its at Autosport too Here

Old 25 Oct 2014, 11:06 (Ref:3468260)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
there's definitely one not far off the position caterham and marussia are in. thought a second one had sorted themselves out a bit?
Sauber or Lotus? Or Force India?
Old 25 Oct 2014, 11:24 (Ref:3468266)   #12
JacobP
Racer

JacobP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think one significant problem here is that the entry of new teams into F1 has almost stalled. I think it's not surprise that new teams fail one after another. You can't expect them to take on Ferrari or even score points in their first few seasons. You also can't expect them to make it in the long run. Perhaps one out of five, or one out of ten new teams could make it into F1 midfield. However, in the last five years we have seen only three new teams in the sport. Why?
Old 25 Oct 2014, 11:37 (Ref:3468273)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobP View Post
I think one significant problem here is that the entry of new teams into F1 has almost stalled. I think it's not surprise that new teams fail one after another. You can't expect them to take on Ferrari or even score points in their first few seasons. You also can't expect them to make it in the long run. Perhaps one out of five, or one out of ten new teams could make it into F1 midfield. However, in the last five years we have seen only three new teams in the sport. Why?
Engine prices more than doubled from the V8 to the turbo era..

Few teams came in with bucketloads of commercial sponsors, which then put them at the mercy of unrated pilots introducing brands to the team in return for a seat

There would have been some ego in there too.. From owners especially..
Old 25 Oct 2014, 11:39 (Ref:3468275)   #14
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While I don't feel much pity for Caterham's financial troubles (Other than sympathy for those, who are out of a job, of course), I really pity Marussia. First the tragedy at Suzuka, now the very real threat of bankruptcy. I hope that they will be able to turn things around. Maybe they can hook up with Collin Kolles...nah, bad idea. But maybe they find a proper investor, who's willing to work with them .
Old 25 Oct 2014, 12:43 (Ref:3468285)   #15
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
HRT. Marussia/Virgin/Manor and Caterham/Team Lotus all joined to be part of the new budget conscious era of F1 featuring budget caps and so on. They instead had to deal with spiralling costs from day one. They were all sold a dud and have tried their best to keep the doors open considering the circumstances.

The only reason that Caterham and Marussia have lasted longer than HRT is because they have each scored some "Bernie money" from being 10th. Sad but not surprising.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 13:01 (Ref:3468297)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Joe Saward's View

Wonder if Mr Ecclestone might bring forward the 2015 payments to Marussia (as he reportedly did for Tyrrell many moons ago..) to make sure there are 20 cars on the grid in Brazil & Abu Dhabi
Old 25 Oct 2014, 13:11 (Ref:3468303)   #17
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
Joe Saward's View

Wonder if Mr Ecclestone might bring forward the 2015 payments to Marussia (as he reportedly did for Tyrrell many moons ago..) to make sure there are 20 cars on the grid in Brazil & Abu Dhabi
Doubt it, he is just needs one more team to go and he will have his 3 car teams that he seems to want.

His only problem is Haas joining in 2016 or the existing teams not liking the idea of 3 car teams judging by the sounds coming from some of them.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 14:18 (Ref:3468318)   #18
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haas won't show up unless the costs are controlled. They seemed to be strongly linked to Ferrari, but the proposal to un-ban chassis sharing failed.

Marussia have done a good job given the circumstances. Caterham too up until a year or so ago. They're failing because the promises made to them by Max were broken by Bernie and the manufacturers.

16 cars next year?
Old 25 Oct 2014, 15:17 (Ref:3468324)   #19
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholosophy View Post
HRT. Marussia/Virgin/Manor and Caterham/Team Lotus all joined to be part of the new budget conscious era of F1 featuring budget caps and so on. They instead had to deal with spiralling costs from day one. They were all sold a dud and have tried their best to keep the doors open considering the circumstances.

The only reason that Caterham and Marussia have lasted longer than HRT is because they have each scored some "Bernie money" from being 10th. Sad but not surprising.
Yes it sucks....
Old 25 Oct 2014, 15:25 (Ref:3468330)   #20
TzeiTzei
Veteran

Finland
TzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTzeiTzei should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholosophy View Post

The only reason is that their owners have pumped money into the teams to keep them going. Atleast in case Marussia we are talking about a sum of 100-200 million euros (I remeber reading about a sum of 140m£ at some point), and I guess they've just about had enough of F1.

And that really is the problem. Tail end teams can not generate enough income to survive. Sooner or later their owners will stop funding them. In many sports the prize money system helps the minnows, because it's good for the sport. In F1 it is exactly the opposite, and I have feeling that sooner or later the greedy men in charge of all this will have to admit that current system hurts the sport. But as long as they are making money, they are not going to care. And that is sad.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 15:44 (Ref:3468337)   #21
Moneyseeker
Veteran

Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!Moneyseeker is going for a new lap record!
All goes to show that to even start in F1 you don't need to be a multi millionaire you need to be a billionaire.

Hass thinks he has it all covered from the article I read, he reckons he can do a 'Red Bull' and increase the sales of his CNC machines by being in F1 sufficient to cover the costs of running the team.....

In which case why didn't he follow the complete strategy of Red Bull and sponsor an F1 team first to see what the likely returns are..
Old 25 Oct 2014, 16:27 (Ref:3468350)   #22
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Yes. Weve heard all this rhetoric before.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 19:12 (Ref:3468362)   #23
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
In my eyes, Caterham and Marussia have evaporated, Haas won't materialise and neither will that other Kolles effort. We've got 18 cars for next year and even at that, a certain number of the remaining teams could very well combust.

The point is well taken that the accident has cast a spotlight away from the championship and over to the minnows, two of whom have promptly imploded, putting the championship and its future under a terrible gloom.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 20:11 (Ref:3468379)   #24
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
marussia =/= caterham.
Old 25 Oct 2014, 20:59 (Ref:3468387)   #25
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
In my eyes, Caterham and Marussia have evaporated, Haas won't materialise and neither will that other Kolles effort. We've got 18 cars for next year and even at that, a certain number of the remaining teams could very well combust.

The point is well taken that the accident has cast a spotlight away from the championship and over to the minnows, two of whom have promptly imploded, putting the championship and its future under a terrible gloom.

Mr Haas will be on the grid...