Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 8 Oct 2015, 13:12 (Ref:3580511)   #576
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
US GT Enduro round at CotA (run in conjunction between SRO and PWC) now to be set for 6 hours (or 5 or whatever Ratel feels like when he wakes up tomorrow...):

http://www.racer.com/latest-stories/...ix-hour-format

Not sure if a 6 hours race just 2 weeks before Sebring will attract some (much needed?) IMSA teams. 30 cars for an inaugural endurance GT only race in the US sounds a bit too optimistic to me (and besides, at CotA, it will look rather empty anyway).
Old 8 Oct 2015, 13:33 (Ref:3580515)   #577
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Joeb, can you change the title of this topic to 'Pirelli World Challenge/US GT Enduro 2016' (or similar) please? Thx.
Just went with PWC.
Old 8 Oct 2015, 13:39 (Ref:3580517)   #578
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Good enough. Thanks.
Old 8 Oct 2015, 15:17 (Ref:3580531)   #579
Coach Ep
Veteran

Goldcrest M'sport to concentrate on Continental Challenge next year, wonder where that'll leave Baldwin's GTsport racing (GTS)?

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/ctscc/g...eries-in-2016/
Old 8 Oct 2015, 22:56 (Ref:3580607)   #580
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A 6hours races at COTA, yawn...
Old 10 Oct 2015, 00:04 (Ref:3580929)   #581
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
GMG has purchased a Porsche 911 GT3-R for 2016:
http://sportscar365.com/gt/world-cha...t3-r-for-2016/

Article and the GMG press release mention contesting GT and GTA with Porsche, so maybe they're actually buying more than one?

Last edited by Mechanic Z; 10 Oct 2015 at 00:10.
Old 10 Oct 2015, 14:17 (Ref:3581078)   #582
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Joeb, can you change the title of this topic to 'Pirelli World Challenge/US GT Enduro 2016' (or similar) please? Thx.
Maybe they are trying to count on these 2-3 car PWC teams to combine drivers and resources into a single car entry to run the enduro. Such as an O'Connell/Pilgrim Cadillac entry or a Dyson/G Smith Bentley.
Old 10 Oct 2015, 16:05 (Ref:3581098)   #583
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think this is a really cool tribute from Mclaren.

"Mclaren celebrates 50 year anniversary of the can-am with limited run 650s-can-am."
http://www.racer.com/more/historic/i...un-650s-can-am

K-Pax/Flying Lizard should run one of their cars (third car?) in this livery next season.

Old 10 Oct 2015, 16:08 (Ref:3581101)   #584
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic Z View Post
GMG has purchased a Porsche 911 GT3-R for 2016:
http://sportscar365.com/gt/world-cha...t3-r-for-2016/

Article and the GMG press release mention contesting GT and GTA with Porsche, so maybe they're actually buying more than one?
More Porsches is always good!
Although I hope we get at least one of the new Audis next season. Perhaps CRP will continue with the R8.
Old 12 Oct 2015, 18:30 (Ref:3582235)   #585
Coach Ep
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
More Porsches is always good!
I don't believe the Cup Porsches brought a lot to the series this year (from a fan perspective) and with Black Swan trading a Viper for a new Porsche is hardly a gain either imo.
Old 13 Oct 2015, 10:41 (Ref:3582460)   #586
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I don't believe the Cup Porsches brought a lot to the series this year (from a fan perspective) and with Black Swan trading a Viper for a new Porsche is hardly a gain either imo.
Agreed on both.

The Viper is one of the few "rare" GT3 cars around, so losing one of the only ones running anywhere in the world for a Porsche that we will surely see tons of is a negative in my book.
Old 13 Oct 2015, 14:28 (Ref:3582503)   #587
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here are the success rates for standing starts vs rolling starts for the entire GT/GTA season http://nasportscar.com/the-standing-...ng-the-season/
Old 13 Oct 2015, 14:29 (Ref:3582504)   #588
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
nasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnasportscar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accident View Post
Agreed on both.

The Viper is one of the few "rare" GT3 cars around, so losing one of the only ones running anywhere in the world for a Porsche that we will surely see tons of is a negative in my book.
Black Swan is focusing solely on IMSA, per Tim Pappas
http://nasportscar.com/10-questions-with-tim-pappas/
Old 17 Oct 2015, 16:27 (Ref:3583583)   #589
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
http://sportscar365.com/gt/world-cha...r-2016-launch/
Good news! I hope that Road America will be one of the venues for sprintX, despite sharing the weekend with the INDYCAR series.
Two extra GT3 races would really add a lot to the weekend.
Old 17 Oct 2015, 20:08 (Ref:3583647)   #590
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Good news! I hope that Road America will be one of the venues for sprintX, despite sharing the weekend with the INDYCAR series.
That weekend is going to be a madhouse to begin with, adding two GT3 races only makes it that much better.

For the one day Indy test they had, nearly 3000 people showed up.

FOR A TEST......
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 18 Oct 2015, 02:43 (Ref:3583750)   #591
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
That weekend is going to be a madhouse to begin with, adding two GT3 races only makes it that much better.

For the one day Indy test they had, nearly 3000 people showed up.

FOR A TEST......
That's interesting, I never heard any numbers for attendance..I was there and there was a decent crowd, but I wouldn't have thought even 1,000 were there. Where did you see that?
Old 18 Oct 2015, 02:45 (Ref:3583751)   #592
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
Quote:
From what I've heard it will only be on their stand alone events, but I would welcome more GT3s at Road America that weekend as well
Old 18 Oct 2015, 03:43 (Ref:3583768)   #593
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
MoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMoMedic9019 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasportscar View Post
That's interesting, I never heard any numbers for attendance..I was there and there was a decent crowd, but I wouldn't have thought even 1,000 were there. Where did you see that?
I may have been exaggerating a slight bit. 😜....

There were way more people there than I think anyone had planned on.
“We’re trying to close the doors without embarrassing ourselves, the France family and embarrassing (the) Grand American Series,” he said in the deposition. “There is no money. There is no purse. There’s nothing.”
Old 18 Oct 2015, 13:01 (Ref:3583866)   #594
nasportscar
Veteran

United States
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMedic9019 View Post
I may have been exaggerating a slight bit. 😜....

There were way more people there than I think anyone had planned on.
For a test, I was very pleased and I think the PWC/Indycar weekend next June will be the largest crowd I've ever experienced at Road America..Going to be a great weekend.
Old 18 Oct 2015, 13:16 (Ref:3583873)   #595
MoMedic9019
Veteran

United States
Wauwatosa, WI
Quote:
For a test, I was very pleased and I think the PWC/Indycar weekend next June will be the largest crowd I've ever experienced at Road America..Going to be a great weekend.
Yep, and it'll be another weekend that will make Bruggenthies look like the patron saint of motorsports, when in reality, he's a buffoon.
Old 18 Oct 2015, 16:17 (Ref:3583925)   #596
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
Quote:
From what I've heard it will only be on their stand alone events, but I would welcome more GT3s at Road America that weekend as well
That was my understanding also, but the wording of the article stated...
Quote:
The new standalone series, which will mirror the format of the Blancpain Sprint Series, will be run on select Pirelli World Challenge weekends and be eligible to GT3 machinery, as announced in May.

According to PWC Competition Director Marcus Haselgrove, a formal unveiling of the championship, complete with the 2016 schedule, will be made next month at SEMA.
"Select Pirelli World Challenge weekends" seems to leave open the possibility for sprintX races to be run on shared weekends.
But that's probably just wishful thinking on my part.
Old 18 Oct 2015, 22:28 (Ref:3583970)   #597
Coach Ep
Veteran

On shared weekends with Indycar where also all the 'Road to Indy' series are present there'll be hardly any gap in the schedule to add 2 one hour races + qualy + practice I would think.

The Laguna Seca finale weekend might be different - assuming it will be once again a shared weekend with the 'Road to Indy' series - because Indycar won't be there.

I'd expect 5 events for Sprint X/Blancpain US sprint series (in bold):

March 3-6 — Circuit of the Americas
March 11-13 — Grand Prix of St. Petersburg
April 15-17 — Grand Prix of Long Beach
April 22-24 — Barber Motorsport Park
May 19-22 — Canadian Tire Motorsports Park
May 27-28 — Lime Rock Park

June 23-26 — Road America
July 29-30 — Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course
August — TBA
September 16-18 — Sonoma Raceway
October — Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca
Old 18 Oct 2015, 23:42 (Ref:3583985)   #598
Rcz
Veteran

United States
I still don't see the point of SprintX.

The difference between a regular race and this is two drivers instead of one, a tire change, and 10 minutes..

Is that type of Blancpain sprint GT racing format really popular around the world?

Maybe if it was 100miles or better yet 200miles then sure that would be a good idea. But right now it's too similar to the regular races that PWC already does.
Old 18 Oct 2015, 23:46 (Ref:3583986)   #599
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
I still don't see the point of SprintX.

The difference between a regular race and this is two drivers instead of one, a tire change, and 10 minutes..

Is that type of Blancpain sprint GT racing format really popular around the world?

Maybe if it was 100miles or better yet 200miles then sure that would be a good idea. But right now it's too similar to the regular races that PWC already does.
I've always liked the 2 driver, 1 hour format better than the 1 driver 50 minute one. Also remember that there won't be any GT cup class to deal with and I assume no standing starts. As long as Sprint X grids are at least 16 cars between 8 different makes then I'll watch! I bet they will have less safety car time than the standard PWC races.

Last edited by MaskedRacer; 18 Oct 2015 at 23:52.
Old 19 Oct 2015, 04:07 (Ref:3584022)   #600
Rcz
Veteran

United States
A series shouldn't really have a two drivers setup unless it has enduros in its schedule. It just sounds like some Pro-Am gimmick.