Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 3 Oct 2015, 12:21 (Ref:3579023)   #9151
DFGeneer
Rookie

DFGeneer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anybody know what kind of exhaust gas after treatment do the R18 use? Is there NOx catalyst or trap? I imagine there is at least a particulate filter as there is hardly any visible smoke, is that correct?
Old 3 Oct 2015, 16:44 (Ref:3579103)   #9152
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFGeneer View Post
Does anybody know what kind of exhaust gas after treatment do the R18 use? Is there NOx catalyst or trap? I imagine there is at least a particulate filter as there is hardly any visible smoke, is that correct?
No exhaust gas after treatment, no particulate filter. These cars are not meant to comply with environmental regulations. These are race cars

This being said, the Audi R10 TDI was supposed to be equipped with DPFs.
Old 3 Oct 2015, 21:02 (Ref:3579290)   #9153
bobec
Racer

bobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting. The R10 had a DPF, as did the R15 and the R18 prior to the new 2014 rules. At least no one has been able to confirm a DPF for the 2014 car and pinpoint its location, afaik.

Also, I guess the 908s also had a DPF, or else why would they be called FAP?

So is the location of the DPF unknown since 2014, or have diesel engines gotten cleaner enough that they would not need a filter, at least on race cars?
Old 3 Oct 2015, 21:21 (Ref:3579295)   #9154
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!MyNameIsNigel has a real shot at the podium!
It's worth noting that the current rules do not anymore include any provision regarding "visible exhaust emissions". This provision was still present in the 2014 rules but has now disappeared.
Old 3 Oct 2015, 23:19 (Ref:3579385)   #9155
DFGeneer
Rookie

DFGeneer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the info.
I would imagine Audi will tune the fuel management so that no soot is emitted as this would drop the efficiency of the engine.
Old 4 Oct 2015, 17:45 (Ref:3579523)   #9156
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
No "rolling coal"! Thats very popular with some pick-up truck owners here. Stuff like that turns people off diesels. Hear it all the time.
Old 5 Oct 2015, 01:09 (Ref:3579608)   #9157
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I also get turned off of hybrids due to long term issues with recycling old batteries and the heavy metals in them, but also in part due to racing and R&D sometimes tied into those programs, they're getting better, more durable, more powerful and more efficient as time marches on. And I'm betting that it won't be long before some of the ideas that Audi, Porsche and Toyota are working on for their LMP1 cars will get to their road cars.

And ironically, anyone who owns a laptop computer (as I do due to space considerations at my home) does also contribute a bit to the problem due to using similar types of batteries, and they contribute each time they have to replace a battery or buy a new laptop.
Old 5 Oct 2015, 07:31 (Ref:3579642)   #9158
GasperG
Veteran

Slovenia
GasperG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Batteries are not the problem, problem is that users throw them in regular waste bin. This can not happen with 100+kg worth of battery, there is great value in recycling those kind of batteries even when they are dead and no one will just throw them out.

Normal 12V led-acid battery poses more risk to environment, just because of improper disposal, but even this has improved drasticly over the years.
Old 7 Oct 2015, 16:47 (Ref:3580295)   #9159
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
A couple of interesting shots of the Audi R18's engine cover highlighting the recent modifications (which I believe have been raced at Austin):

(source: FIA-WEC Facebook page)

It's a bit surprising to see those revisions on the package that will apparently be raced at Fuji considering that cooling requirements are likely less pronounced in Japan.

No sign of the Porsche package yet.
Old 7 Oct 2015, 18:52 (Ref:3580319)   #9160
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I saw a photo earlier where the brake ducts weren't capped off. I suspect that they'll be capped off (remember the talk of the sealed holes in the rear fenders that seemed to be capped/decaled over since the Monza test in April) and the louvers in the engine cover will be replaced with closed off versions come Friday Japanese time.
Old 8 Oct 2015, 11:02 (Ref:3580486)   #9161
Jetinder
Rookie

Jetinder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobec View Post
Interesting. The R10 had a DPF, as did the R15 and the R18 prior to the new 2014 rules. At least no one has been able to confirm a DPF for the 2014 car and pinpoint its location, afaik.

Also, I guess the 908s also had a DPF, or else why would they be called FAP?

So is the location of the DPF unknown since 2014, or have diesel engines gotten cleaner enough that they would not need a filter, at least on race cars?
I thought they didn't need them anymore with the higher GTL/BTL content diesel from Shell.
Old 8 Oct 2015, 11:49 (Ref:3580499)   #9162
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
So, after all, both Audi and Porsche have brought different aero packages to Fuji.
New front fenders:

"Old" version in the foreground / new version in the background:

(source: DSC)
Old 8 Oct 2015, 13:32 (Ref:3580514)   #9163
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
New nose basically looks like a hybrid of the old sprint and LM noses. I like the way it looks, but I'd love to have more photos of it.

IMO, it points to a new general purpose package that Audi may use the rest of the season and possibly testing for next season's revised car(?).
Old 8 Oct 2015, 14:40 (Ref:3580526)   #9164
MihokS5
Racer

MihokS5 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think it looks pretty awesome and Chernaudi got his wish. A hybrid aero kit
Old 8 Oct 2015, 15:09 (Ref:3580529)   #9165
bobec
Racer

bobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbobec should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow, is this the fourth or the fifth aero kit that shows up on the R18 at a race event? Isn't it a bit late to have a hybrid aero kit now, after Nurburgring and COTA?

Looks good, yes, but again, no more nostril openings. I thought they were pretty effective.
Old 8 Oct 2015, 15:10 (Ref:3580530)   #9166
MyNameIsNigel
Veteran

Switzerland
Lake Geneva Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by MihokS5 View Post
I think it looks pretty awesome and Chernaudi got his wish. A hybrid aero kit

I must admit that I was not expecting Audi to work on such a "hybrid" solution. Audi are typically focusing their attention on the development of the new car after LM. This at least demonstrates that Audi are still willing to fight for the 2015 titles.

I hope this allows Audi to claw back some performance for the race.
Old 8 Oct 2015, 15:56 (Ref:3580537)   #9167
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Also, on the #7 Audi in one photo, it looks as if though it didn't have the new nose installed yet, there was a taller side gurney attached to the floor. I have no idea what changes have happened to the rear of the car yet.

It does seem, however, that they also did bring some of the LM spec bodywork (front ends mainly), though I doubt that they intend to use them this weekend.
Old 8 Oct 2015, 19:27 (Ref:3580575)   #9168
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
I'm gonna need better quality photos, but it looks like the fender caps (between the headlight bin and the front BHH) have a gurney flap on their trailing edge. Hopefully some better photos will turn up so I can if they're real or imagined.
Old 9 Oct 2015, 11:51 (Ref:3580748)   #9169
Ephaeton
Veteran

Austria
Between Österreichring and Nordschleife
Ephaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEphaeton should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsNigel View Post

I must admit that I was not expecting Audi to work on such a "hybrid" solution. Audi are typically focusing their attention on the development of the new car after LM. This at least demonstrates that Audi are still willing to fight for the 2015 titles.

I hope this allows Audi to claw back some performance for the race.
Seems this is the last iteration of the 2015 Audi due to AMS (german)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Schurig
Ein kleiner Turnaround könnte nicht nur durch die Abstimmungsstrategie zustande kommen, sondern auch durch die Aero-Spezifikation: Audi kommt mit einem überarbeiteten Aero-Kit für den R18 e-tron quattro nach Fuji, (...)
Audi hat bereits erklärt, dass man mittlerweile alle Ressourcen auf das neue 2016er Auto geworfen hat - das Fuji-Kit ist damit vermutlich die letzte Entwicklungsstufe für den R18.
(Audi might be threatening Porsche due to its new Aero spec: they are bringing a new aero kit for the r18 for fuji ... Audi has already stated that all resources are used for the 2016 car - the fuji kit supposedly is the final 2015 R18 iteration)
Old 9 Oct 2015, 15:45 (Ref:3580824)   #9170
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
I can't tell you the full scope of modifcations yet, as Audi Sport haven't released a butt-load of HQ photos on Audi Media Center yet, but I'll share what I've found so far:

-Headlight bins are virtually identical to the original sprint variant.

-Front fender profile sort of a halfway house between sprint and LM, leaning towards sprint.

-Front fender caps between headlight bins and front fender holes feature gurney flaps for enhanced wheel well/front diffuser extraction.

-Front diffuser is the same as on the LM car (slightly different flap profile compared to sprint).

-Rear fender trailing edges have more aggressive kick up on them.

-Rear fender holes still inboard, and appear to have a larger "intake scoop" on them compared to the LM package.

-Flaps on the sides of the car running back from the valence panel are taller and upper edge comes down at an angle.
Old 9 Oct 2015, 17:43 (Ref:3580844)   #9171
Creep89
Veteran

Germany
Herne
Creep89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the latest issue Der Spiegel reports budgets for Motorsport and Football sponsoring will be reduced. They are currently spending several hundred millions. I wonder what the implications for Audi will be.
Old 9 Oct 2015, 19:44 (Ref:3580869)   #9172
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creep89 View Post
In the latest issue Der Spiegel reports budgets for Motorsport and Football sponsoring will be reduced. They are currently spending several hundred millions. I wonder what the implications for Audi will be.
http://www.spiegel.de/wirtschaft/unt...a-1057037.html

It looks like the full article is behind paywall.

Football sponsorship was mentioned earlier by Reuters:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...11U23K20150924
http://tentenths.com/forum/showpost....postcount=9106
Old 9 Oct 2015, 21:24 (Ref:3580898)   #9173
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Michelin Le Mans Live's Flickr page has some good shots of the R18 that demonstrate the differences between both the sprint and LM set ups.

Also on Audi Sport's FB, Twitter and Audi Motorsport have a video where Marcel Fassler seems pretty happy and enthusiastic about the car's performance with this aero package.
Old 10 Oct 2015, 06:09 (Ref:3581003)   #9174
Artur
Veteran

Artur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Audi aero config for Fuji seems to have worked really well. We still gotta wait to see how the car performs on the race but I'm betting on an Audi win
Old 10 Oct 2015, 07:01 (Ref:3581008)   #9175
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Audi should've run this package starting at the Nurburgring. IMO, Audi let potential race wins or better results slip though the cracks by sticking with the modified LM package for so long. When you consider that Fuji should suit lower downforce/lower drag cars and that IMO Porsche are still a bit more slippery than the current Audi package is, this is very encouraging, yet frustrating considering how relatively off the pace Audi were at the Nurburgring and COTA.