Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 3 Jun 2014, 15:31 (Ref:3414817)   #26
Christian Mogami
Racer

Austria
Christian Mogami has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Cotton and Hindy just posted that Ford GTE is dead.

But Ford PR has been very very busy giving a spin to the story.

And they are doing a good job!
Old 3 Jun 2014, 15:42 (Ref:3414825)   #27
ttdriver2009
Racer

ttdriver2009 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe the Ecoboost 4 cylinder engine from the Mustang in an LMP1 car with hybrid power, Ford GT inspired looks and painted in Gulf colours.
Old 3 Jun 2014, 15:49 (Ref:3414831)   #28
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Of course 2016 marks the 50th anniversary of the first victory of the GT40.

Dreamers speculation alert!.... maybe Ferrari and Ford will announce together that they are going to return to battle at Le Mans!!!!
Old 3 Jun 2014, 15:54 (Ref:3414832)   #29
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The easiest route to WEC for Ford is an ecoboost P2 engine.
Old 3 Jun 2014, 16:06 (Ref:3414834)   #30
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
It's also the easiest route to make people not to care.
Old 3 Jun 2014, 16:34 (Ref:3414842)   #31
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well to people like you and me atleast. They did the same thing in Tudor with the Ford Riley's. And milked the you know what out of it.

Nissan certainly didn't have any issue and from a marketing standpoint, making a P2 mill worked for them (I could care less) but the Nissan P2 motor is ubiquitous.
Old 3 Jun 2014, 18:17 (Ref:3414879)   #32
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Read into this what you will, but "Ford sticking with with factory teams in 2015"
Old 3 Jun 2014, 20:04 (Ref:3414939)   #33
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Off topic....

Any one else ever read “go like hell” ?

It's a great book, I read it every year in the month leading up to Le Mans.lots of great insight into Ford,Ferrari,and Le Mans.

I thought there was supposed to be a movie in the works abased on the book.havent heard anything lately so I guess maybe not.....
Old 3 Jun 2014, 20:11 (Ref:3414946)   #34
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagunaseca_4life View Post
I thought there was supposed to be a movie in the works abased on the book.havent heard anything lately so I guess maybe not.....
"development on the project may have slowed, according to sources."

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...osinski-701426
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...cruises-666348
Old 14 Jul 2014, 19:20 (Ref:3433901)   #35
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Quote:
Of course 2016 marks the 50th anniversary of the first victory of the GT40.
Sounds like these might BOTH be in play. I wonder if they could attract Roger Penske or Jack Roush back to IMSA to run the GTE program in 2016. You would expect Chip Ganassi to develop the P2 engine if that does happen.

http://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/f...otype-options/
Old 14 Jul 2014, 20:56 (Ref:3433937)   #36
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A Ford GT!

With a V6 EcoBoost.....
Old 14 Jul 2014, 22:44 (Ref:3433955)   #37
Articus
Veteran

As an american Halo car I would think they might try to do a ecoboosted V8 with cylinder deactivation. The Vette has a DFI V8 and the Viper has a V10.
Old 14 Jul 2014, 23:00 (Ref:3433960)   #38
Starfish Primer
Veteran

Spain
A Spaniard in Milton Keynes
Starfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridStarfish Primer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good news, let´s see if we can keep all the manufacturers in GTE + Ford, it can be an great battle. I don´t really care if the Ford is a Mustang, a GT or a Fiesta diesel.

Also another manufacturer means less Am teams.
Old 15 Jul 2014, 01:32 (Ref:3433986)   #39
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
strange that this is the first time i've heard of a new ford gt in the works since 2012. great if it happens.....
Old 15 Jul 2014, 07:28 (Ref:3434026)   #40
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Surely if Ford are truly thinking of returning to Le Mans - they would want to go for overall victory?

A GTE programme would be mainly for TUSCC to race GM and Dodge and Lm would be a spin off maybe with privateer teams.

I have not heard any significant rumours of a 3rd generation GT in the pipeline.
Old 15 Jul 2014, 08:30 (Ref:3434041)   #41
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Devil's advocating here, but why would they want to spend the vast sums that Audi and Porsche are in P1 when they can't even race the car in their own market? Especially if it's being funded from North America and not Europe.

At the moment, P2 and GTE make a lot more sense; you're not going to able to race that expensive P1 at Long Beach, Daytona or Detroit.
Old 15 Jul 2014, 10:36 (Ref:3434067)   #42
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Then again if Ford was in LMP1, the probability of having larger LMP1 presence in North America (even in the form of just extra WEC races) would be higher.

But yes in essence you're quite right.

Sorta same reasoning why Corvette doesn'ty care of WEC. Okay smaller budgets in question but still
Old 15 Jul 2014, 10:45 (Ref:3434071)   #43
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
There was a great picture of Mosport that explained to me perfectly what the Corvette programme gets from the GT programme, which was one of the C7Rs going past a field of Corvette road cars. The important part being that they were Corvettes, not Chevrolets.

It's a 'tribal' brand loyalty programme and does it very well. I wonder if Ford have any loyalist that they can invoke the same feelings within (genuine question as I don't know how Ford sits in the mind of North Americans)?
Old 15 Jul 2014, 12:18 (Ref:3434089)   #44
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
There was a great picture of Mosport that explained to me perfectly what the Corvette programme gets from the GT programme, which was one of the C7Rs going past a field of Corvette road cars. The important part being that they were Corvettes, not Chevrolets.

It's a 'tribal' brand loyalty programme and does it very well. I wonder if Ford have any loyalist that they can invoke the same feelings within (genuine question as I don't know how Ford sits in the mind of North Americans)?
Ford is pretty much the same as Chevy in terms of popularity and loyalty amongst fans, I think the real difference when it comes to the following the program would gain is that the "coolest" attainable car from Ford is the Mustang. If a new Ford GT follows the footsteps of the old one and is $150k+ and has a limited production run while Corvettes can be had for just around $50k, you simply won't see the same kind of attendance from Ford GT owners.

It's harder to pull fans out in droves when there are only a few thousand people that own the car that is racing. Of course general Ford fans will still love the car, but I don't think they will be able to pull off the connection that Corvette program has managed to get with Corvette owners unless the new GT is just as attainable and sells well.
Old 15 Jul 2014, 12:41 (Ref:3434098)   #45
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Maybe there is an entirely new model on the way to sit in between the Mustang and the GT
Old 15 Jul 2014, 12:47 (Ref:3434103)   #46
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
Maybe there is an entirely new model on the way to sit in between the Mustang and the GT
Could be, but Detroit isn't very good at keeping these types of things secrets. They tend to float artist renderings and drop hints on things to create buzz before the release of a new project. That is why I find the new Ford GT a bit hard to believe. There was talk about this in 2011-2012 but has gone dead since then. Maybe they kept working at it, but I doubt it.

Accident made a good point too, the only way Ford would create the same kind of Corvette buzz with a new car is to position it against the Corvette on the pricing ladder. Dodge has trouble selling Vipers because the Corvette can be had for less money and similar performance. Ford can't fall into that trap if they go that route.
Old 15 Jul 2014, 13:38 (Ref:3434120)   #47
MagVanisher
Veteran

MagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMagVanisher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal View Post
If that would happen, I think Ford will release the Cobra. However, the question is that will Carroll Shelby International and AC Cars allow Ford to bring the modern-day Cobra roadster to showroom.
Old 15 Jul 2014, 13:43 (Ref:3434123)   #48
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
If that would happen, I think Ford will release the Cobra. However, the question is that will Carroll Shelby International and AC Cars allow Ford to bring the modern-day Cobra roadster to showroom.
How would that be suitable as a modern day GTE?
Old 15 Jul 2014, 15:34 (Ref:3434142)   #49
1969MGCGTdriver
Racer

United States
Orlando, FL, USA
1969MGCGTdriver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagVanisher View Post
Maybe it wouldn't be the roadster. What if it is the GR-1 coupe (you know, the modern interpretation of the Shelby Daytona Coupe)? I think that would be cool, but if they are going to try to get the masses interested then the GTE car has to be a Mustang. There is no other option.
Old 15 Jul 2014, 16:07 (Ref:3434149)   #50
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969MGCGTdriver View Post
Maybe it wouldn't be the roadster. What if it is the GR-1 coupe (you know, the modern interpretation of the Shelby Daytona Coupe)? I think that would be cool, but if they are going to try to get the masses interested then the GTE car has to be a Mustang. There is no other option.
This is one of the best looking concepts Ford put out in the last decade.