Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 7 May 2016, 13:34 (Ref:3639488)   #951
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Actual reason they closed is probably the same reason they were created.

The team owner received a visit from a "higher power" telling him what to do.
Not cool, dude.
Old 7 May 2016, 14:45 (Ref:3639580)   #952
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
You act like I'm joking about how the team was created.

That's exactly how it was devised.
Old 7 May 2016, 15:13 (Ref:3639600)   #953
jjvincent
Racer

jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Right now they are praying for $100/bbl oil and $5/gal gasoline. If the higher power gives them that, then you'll see them back.

It does show you that looking at the series with rose colored glasses and giving it thousands of likes and thumbs up on social media doesn't exempt it from the reality that rich older white guys fund it out of their pocket. They know when to call it quits because they are not going to the poor house no matter how wonderful and great the series is.

Only way to bring them back is you the fan to start praying for those high energy prices. It's obvious people didn't pray enough to keep the feds from going after short term loan sharks, or praying enough to keep Hugo Chavez alive or praying enough to keep the mortgage industry from blowing up or praying that pyramid schemes become legal, or praying that the Brazilian economy gets way better overnight or praying that Chinese economy takes off again etc...

Porsche will be looking to the existing Porsche teams to give them support. That will only require about another $1M in buying stuff and running expenses, then they can get a factory driver for free. Better pray that some rich older guys are ready to open their checkbook.
Old 7 May 2016, 17:33 (Ref:3639773)   #954
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
TRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTRspitfirefan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
@ Matt and Mr. Vincent. It is pretty apparent that you two have issues towards religion and Christianity in particular that go far beyond EFFORT racing's team owner and His participation in PWC, but I hardly think that this is the proper forum to air your antagonism towards those beliefs. Last time I checked, Ten-Tenths was a forum devoted to Motorsport. There are plenty of other places throughout the internet where I'm quite sure your hatred of Christianity and religion would be more welcome. This is a racing forum, so perhaps we should keep the discussion about racing.
Old 7 May 2016, 18:30 (Ref:3639851)   #955
jjvincent
Racer

jjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjjvincent should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess all of my Catholic schooling, being an altar boy, getting married in the Catholic church, my boys going to CCD, being a boy scout leader that is involved with our charter Baptist church and Catholic charter for my older son that is a boy scout means that I have a hatred toward Christianity. My work with the young Jewish professionals means I have a hatred toward religion, then so be it.

With that, I'll fix my post just to take out my hatred towards religion and Christianity:
Quote:
Right now they are hoping for $100/bbl oil and $5/gal gasoline. If the higher power of the economy gives them that, then you'll see them back.

It does show you that looking at the series with rose colored glasses and giving it thousands of likes and thumbs up on social media doesn't exempt it from the reality that rich older white guys fund it out of their pocket. They know when to call it quits because they are not going to the poor house no matter how wonderful and great the series is.

Only way to bring them back is you the fan to start hoping for those high energy prices. It's obvious people didn't hope enough to keep the feds from going after short term loan sharks, or hoping enough to keep Hugo Chavez alive or hoping enough to keep the mortgage industry from blowing up or hoping that pyramid schemes become legal, or hoping that the Brazilian economy gets way better overnight or hoping that Chinese economy takes off again etc...

Porsche will be looking to the existing Porsche teams to give them support. That will only require about another $1M in buying stuff and running expenses, then they can get a factory driver for free. Better hope that some rich older guys are ready to open their checkbook. Today 10:45
Religion and Christianity is out of this thread. Now back to regularly scheduled programming.
Old 7 May 2016, 21:50 (Ref:3639934)   #956
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
That's rubbish, Pat Long v Johnny O'Connell was looking to be a great season-long battle. Hope it's not gone for good but a shame to see two fast new Porsches in storage so early.
Hopefully Long will be able to put some sort of alternate program together.
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2016/0...rprise-me.html
Quote:
“Personally, I am still working on something,” Long confirmed. “Which will keep me in the championship fight. I can’t tell you who or when, but let’s just say I’m glad the season is on a break right now, so I have time to plan ahead.
Old 7 May 2016, 22:22 (Ref:3639942)   #957
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Shame to see them go, as it is when any solid team leaves, but I do hope we Pat Long back in something else though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
@ Matt and Mr. Vincent. It is pretty apparent that you two have issues towards religion and Christianity in particular that go far beyond EFFORT racing's team owner and His participation in PWC, but I hardly think that this is the proper forum to air your antagonism towards those beliefs. Last time I checked, Ten-Tenths was a forum devoted to Motorsport. There are plenty of other places throughout the internet where I'm quite sure your hatred of Christianity and religion would be more welcome. This is a racing forum, so perhaps we should keep the discussion about racing.
To be fair they aren't the ones that brought religion into racing in the first place.

To call their ribbing "hatred" is quite the overreaction though.
Old 7 May 2016, 23:14 (Ref:3639951)   #958
TRspitfirefan
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accident View Post
To call their ribbing "hatred" is quite the overreaction though.
Fair enough. Perhaps I overreacted. However, I do think that mocking the beliefs of the owner of the EFFORT team is in very bad taste, given the current situation. I'm also a little surprised at how negative some people are towards the American energy industry, as if "oil money" somehow qualifies as ill gotten gains similar to that of loan sharks, ponzi schemes and South American communist dictators. One person on twitter even made this remark.
Quote:
@EFFORTRacing People aren't using enough gas, so you guys can't afford to race? If that's true, then I hope you guys NEVER come back.
This person appears ignorant of the fact that oil prices haven't fallen due to low demand, but rather because of an excess of supply from several oil producers, seemingly designed to weaken the US energy industry.
(I'm no economist, so I am sure that this is a massive oversimplification.)
In fact higher energy prices are generally good for conservation, because if forces people to consume less and makes new alternative energy sources more economically viable.
Old 8 May 2016, 03:43 (Ref:3639975)   #959
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRspitfirefan View Post
Fair enough. Perhaps I overreacted. However, I do think that mocking the beliefs of the owner of the EFFORT team is in very bad taste, given the current situation. I'm also a little surprised at how negative some people are towards the American energy industry, as if "oil money" somehow qualifies as ill gotten gains similar to that of loan sharks, ponzi schemes and South American communist dictators. One person on twitter even made this remark.

This person appears ignorant of the fact that oil prices haven't fallen due to low demand, but rather because of an excess of supply from several oil producers, seemingly designed to weaken the US energy industry.
(I'm no economist, so I am sure that this is a massive oversimplification.)
In fact higher energy prices are generally good for conservation, because if forces people to consume less and makes new alternative energy sources more economically viable.
Well speak for yourself on that one. I like lower gas prices!
Old 8 May 2016, 03:46 (Ref:3639976)   #960
Mechanic Z
Veteran

United States
Mos Eisley
Mechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMechanic Z should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Really, really sad news about EFFORT. They're a great group of people. Always really fan friendly, and always turned out great looking Porsches.

I'll be thankful for the great memories I have of them, and look forward to their return.

Old 8 May 2016, 15:51 (Ref:3640138)   #961
jjvincent
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Well speak for yourself on that one. I like lower gas prices!
I think that everyone here likes lower gas prices. You might as well blame the millennials and electric cars with you are at it. Millennials don't really have an interest in cars in general, like to save money, like to cycle and if they had to get a car, an EV or car sharing is the way to go. With the electrical grid powered by coal, NG and nuclear, oil is going to have a rough go of it for a while.

What it does show you is how racing is financed. At least some team had the guts to tell everyone that they are stopping racing because the price of oil is too low and not some lame excuse of a non existent sponsor that backed out. Plus, that look for sponsorship is secret code for rental driver. Effort used to run a rental program back in the ALMS days in GT3 Cup. Maybe they might have to go back to that to keep all of that contract labor from getting a regular job or work for another team.

Just look over the last 20 years of Porsche teams that had those factory drivers. How many of them are still around today?
Old 8 May 2016, 20:21 (Ref:3640193)   #962
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvincent View Post
I think that everyone here likes lower gas prices. You might as well blame the millennials and electric cars with you are at it. Millennials don't really have an interest in cars in general, like to save money, like to cycle and if they had to get a car, an EV or car sharing is the way to go. With the electrical grid powered by coal, NG and nuclear, oil is going to have a rough go of it for a while.

What it does show you is how racing is financed. At least some team had the guts to tell everyone that they are stopping racing because the price of oil is too low and not some lame excuse of a non existent sponsor that backed out. Plus, that look for sponsorship is secret code for rental driver. Effort used to run a rental program back in the ALMS days in GT3 Cup. Maybe they might have to go back to that to keep all of that contract labor from getting a regular job or work for another team.

Just look over the last 20 years of Porsche teams that had those factory drivers. How many of them are still around today?
Well government bureaucrats are pushing the whole electric car thing. That will never take off until the overall cost between fuel, car, and millage beats gas.

I dont understand the loss of interest in cars. Sure I'll never own a Corvette or Porsche but still they look fantastic and still its fun to just have that dream. I think Millenials cant afford these cars either which for a lot of folks does eliminate interest. Living in cities is so expensive!

Going back to PWC, its a great series which gave itself a lifeline with GT3 cars. I am happy to be a fan of it. Sprint X is going to be interesting too I think. But yeah between PWC and IMSA. We have lost a TON of privateer Porsche teams over the years.
Old 8 May 2016, 21:25 (Ref:3640204)   #963
Bob Baldwin
Racer

United States
Shelbyville Ky
Bob Baldwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can Millenials even AFFORD the COST of NEW HYBIDS ?
Old 9 May 2016, 18:01 (Ref:3640404)   #964
jjvincent
Racer

This next generation does not have the interest in cars as the ones in the past. I see it all of the time with kids in high school. Many have no desire to get a drivers license. Even my nephew was forced to get one before he went to college. He still owns no car, could care less about them and would just rely on his bike, public transportation and Uber. Trust me, he's not the only one that is like that. Even my own two sons could care less about cars. My 14 year old could care less that a TC Miata or GT McLaren is sitting there. It's just a car to him. So, if the next generation has this interest in racing, it looks like that within 10-15 years it'll just be HSR races for the few that are still alive or not on a fixed income.
Old 9 May 2016, 18:12 (Ref:3640407)   #965
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Baldwin View Post
Can Millenials even AFFORD the COST of NEW HYBIDS ?
Yes, considering I bought one.
Old 9 May 2016, 19:11 (Ref:3640434)   #966
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I say it's because cars are more expensive these day. There is interest, but it's hard to have a hobby about something when you're paying for bills and education.
Old 9 May 2016, 21:19 (Ref:3640489)   #967
jjvincent
Racer

Go watch something like Let's Make a Deal on a retro tv channel. The MSRP of a 1970 Corvette was $12K. That would be about $75K today. Chevy Nova was $3.8K. Today $23K. A washer and dryer combo was $1K. That's $6.2K today. 26" TV, $600. Today, $3.7K. $0.59 for a gallon of gas, $3.27 today.

These are numbers adjusted for inflation.
Old 10 May 2016, 14:50 (Ref:3640634)   #968
HighParker
Racer

Canada
Toronto
HighParker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasportscar View Post
Turner entering once GTA car for Mosport, hopefully an entry for Sprint X as well
There's now an entry list for Mosport on the World Challenge website, but I see nothing yet indicating entries for the Sprint-X races. Maybe the number of entries is even lower than had been expected?
Old 10 May 2016, 15:13 (Ref:3640636)   #969
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
schmidder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I watched barber gts last night..series kind of misunderstood the Sin performance or something..performance was crazy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 10 May 2016, 15:14 (Ref:3640637)   #970
jjvincent
Racer

You have 15 n GT, 5 in GTA and 15 in GTS for Sprint X. So that could be 35 cars for Sprint X. So, that's a pretty good amount of cars. Plus more cars enter as the race gets closer, so you might be up to 40 possible cars for Sprint X.
Old 10 May 2016, 21:25 (Ref:3640724)   #971
ttdriver2009
Racer

ttdriver2009 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Effort is gone? Not to sound down on the series but this is not a good thing. I know I had my concerns about the series doing pretty much nothing when it came to marketing and I think this is convincing me that I might be right. It's like a high priced hobby (i.e. sailing) where some people show up to watch and that's it.

This will be a test for the new management to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Any more information on the Sprint X from the insiders? There was not really any talk about it at LB when I asked teams. All I got from most was that they were looking at doing it but no confirmation.
Old 10 May 2016, 23:41 (Ref:3640737)   #972
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvincent View Post
Go watch something like Let's Make a Deal on a retro tv channel. The MSRP of a 1970 Corvette was $12K. That would be about $75K today. Chevy Nova was $3.8K. Today $23K. A washer and dryer combo was $1K. That's $6.2K today. 26" TV, $600. Today, $3.7K. $0.59 for a gallon of gas, $3.27 today.

These are numbers adjusted for inflation.

It bounced down during the recession and it's going down in the US right now, but generally speaking gas prices have been on an upward spike since anyone under 30 graduated elementary school.

More relevantly, young males these days are in general terribly employed and have the highest levels of debt in history.
Old 11 May 2016, 01:01 (Ref:3640741)   #973
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
schmidder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttdriver2009 View Post
Effort is gone? Not to sound down on the series but this is not a good thing. I know I had my concerns about the series doing pretty much nothing when it came to marketing and I think this is convincing me that I might be right. It's like a high priced hobby (i.e. sailing) where some people show up to watch and that's it.

This will be a test for the new management to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Any more information on the Sprint X from the insiders? There was not really any talk about it at LB when I asked teams. All I got from most was that they were looking at doing it but no confirmation.
Cannot see how series marketing or lack thereof made a difference with Effort. Owners business is down so he pulled the program.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Old 11 May 2016, 02:02 (Ref:3640749)   #974
jjvincent
Racer

PWC now reaches over 700 million global households:
http://sportscar365.com/gt/world-cha...l-tv-coverage/
Old 11 May 2016, 08:17 (Ref:3640805)   #975
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe this will make it easier to catch a races from now on.