Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 27 Sep 2007, 21:17 (Ref:2024686)   #1
MikeBurdon
Rookie

United Kingdom
Ilkley, West Yorkshire
MikeBurdon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who has a Classic Formula Ford

At the recent AGM of the Classic Formula Ford Register (Snetterton last Saturday evening) there was some discussion about how to increase grid sizes. Historically the grid sizes have always averaged in the low 20's. For some reason this year - most probably down to a confluence of people taking a year or two off for the usual reason - children/funding - grids have been in the high teens.

So I have two questions :-

1. How best to attract new blood into the classics?
2. Who out there has a pre 82 chassis at the back of the garage and wants to come out to play?

cheers
Old 27 Sep 2007, 21:47 (Ref:2024705)   #2
JEB
Veteran

JEB has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I have x4 'Classic' cars and hope to be behind the wheel of at least two of them next season (providing they survive the Hayes !)

James
Old 27 Sep 2007, 22:10 (Ref:2024716)   #3
diz
Veteran

England
Cheshire
diz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Simple solution Mike.
Reinvent it as something the same, but different.
Back in 1985 74-78 [or was it 74-80 by then?] wasn't particularly strongly followed. There were loads of older cars about then - and still are now - so whoosh, along came Formula E which took away the 'dated element' and quite simply specified outboard suspension. Formula E boomed with qualifying races. With it's demise in the early 90s', Classic Formula Ford came along with basically Pre74 and Pre82.
So why not :-

1. Come up with a tweeky name for this millenium.
2. Revise the classes and allow newer models in.

How about a new two class structure?
Class B
Outboard suspension cars, to include Pre74, [which it is only a matter of time before the Historic cut off date moves up from Pre72 to Pre74 and they can then both play with the HSCC and become 'worth' ten grand more overnight].
Don't forget that a well turned out older car - if well driven - can mix it with the newer [perceived quicker] cars, just ask Dave Lowe.
Class A
Open it up to Pre84 and non outboard cars [or even Pre86 excluding the Reynard 84F, but allowing the 85 model in].

Spread the word and away you go.
Old 28 Sep 2007, 06:47 (Ref:2024897)   #4
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBurdon
Who out there has a pre 82 chassis at the back of the garage and wants to come out to play?
Me!

Unfortunately vey little time and 2 kids at University but I live in hope
Old 29 Sep 2007, 20:29 (Ref:2025982)   #5
SCOBER11
Racer

SCOBER11 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Championship winning car is on the market so if anyone out there wants to win they know what they need. I think in recent years the historics have taken away from class b, but still plenty of new names on the start sheet this year so at least its getting new blood even if numbers are stagnant, mind you the price at some of the circuits for testing and racing are out of this world, ye should all come over here with the currancy rate exchange it would be like for free!
Old 30 Sep 2007, 14:26 (Ref:2026913)   #6
Séamas M.
Racer

Northern Ireland
Lurgan,County Armagh
Séamas M. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I feel I should point out that Rory has been too modest to say that he seriously embarassed a lot of drivers in much newer cars yesterday at Kirkistown . I'll be interested to see what he can do with a chassis that is only 15 years old or so !
Old 1 Oct 2007, 11:58 (Ref:2027810)   #7
FA73
Racer

FA73 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi All - my first post !

I'm not sure the HSCC FF1600's will invite in Pre 74 cars soon - the idea was rejected at their AGM last year. Even my Van Diemen - which is fairly original in spec - would need a couple of changes to make it comply with their stricter regs re originality - ie no aluminium radiators for a start...

JEB - what Classic era FF1600 might you race next year ?