Old 23 Jul 2010, 21:14 (Ref:2731455)   #1
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
Christchurch, New Zealand
Andrew2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chandoks commentary during P1

Hey folks,

Havent done a thread in years lol but just wanted to comment on Chandoks commentary. what an entertaining guy he is, I really enjoyed his commentary. Anthony Davidson is always good, but Chandok was a real breath of fresh air. To hear a driver talk as open as he did (no reserve in critiquing his fellow racers etc), in the Brundle mould.

What a neat guy, new found respect for him, he sounds real, like he'd actually be neat to talk to (ie: not like a robot).

Andy
Old 23 Jul 2010, 21:27 (Ref:2731468)   #2
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought he was very good and he seemed to hit it off with Anthony Davidson and the others. Top marks from me
Old 23 Jul 2010, 21:34 (Ref:2731474)   #3
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Trying out for a post F1 career?.
Old 23 Jul 2010, 21:44 (Ref:2731483)   #4
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Have to agree with the above comments on Chandhok. I have been following his twitter page for a while and he is thotoughly entertaining in that, and a complete revehead. At Goodwood he was like a kid with a box of new toys, and none of them ever get thrown anywhere.... rather they are all put back in their boxes after.

Every weekend he is not involved in F1 he seems to go to a race meeting just for the enjoyment of watching, be it Moto GP, Club racing or whatever. Plus he, like many of us mere mortals, loves photographing cars of all sorts, especially those of historic merit. Last weekend he was at Brands Hatch for the WTCC and F2 on the Saturday and then on the Sunday morning he was at Rockingham for the F3 racing at Rockingham..... none of it on any official duties (like this weekend), but just there for the hell of it as an enthusiast.

Even in the situation of being dropped for a clearly less talented but financially blessed Yamamoto he accepts is as 'part of life'.

He has very quickly joined my ranks of favourite drivers. I felt sorry for him when he turned up for his first ever GP, with no F1 experience, and with a car that was still being built whilst others practiced, he still put in commendable performances given the car he was in. He never has any blame for anyone when it goes wrong through no fault of his own.

I only wish other more fortunnate drivers on the grid could learn from him on how to behave with respect and dignity, particularly a number of drivers in the very top teams of the grid.

With all this talk of who is 'the best' driver on the grid, or Alonso , Hamilton, Webber, Vettel this that or the other, I find myself always making time to read his comments, I find Chandhok to be by far the most pleasant.

He is in my mind without doubt the greatest breath of fresh air to arrive in F1 of late and I wish him the very best for a long and successful career in F1.
Old 24 Jul 2010, 01:12 (Ref:2731552)   #5
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the past few years he has helped out ESPN on Star Sports in Asia. Funny enough I dont think the F1 coverage is as good without him this year, despite the fact they still have Alex Yoong and Gary Anderson
Old 24 Jul 2010, 10:47 (Ref:2731629)   #6
Massa_number1
Racer

Massa_number1 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
ever since he turned up in f1 this year i have liked chandhok he is really good in interviews and always has a good sense of humour I thought he was excellent in "van wilder party liason" too
Old 24 Jul 2010, 10:56 (Ref:2731632)   #7
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Karun's a top bloke in every way. He doesn't forget where he started either and was at Rockingham for the British F3 last weekend. It was hard to know what to say, apart from commiserate over his lost drive this weekend, but he's turned that into a positive by joining the commentary team.
Old 24 Jul 2010, 11:58 (Ref:2731651)   #8
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He did an excellent job in the commentary. Also seems like a lovely bloke.
Old 24 Jul 2010, 15:07 (Ref:2731706)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
He did an excellent job in the commentary. Also seems like a lovely bloke.
Agreed, I enjoyed Karun's input. Clearly an enthusiast too. I really don't understand Kolles. I think he's a control freak rather than a manager.
Old 24 Jul 2010, 21:37 (Ref:2731937)   #10
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
Christchurch, New Zealand
Andrew2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
EB, very wellsaid and I couldnt agree more. Definately a breath of fresh air. We need more drivers like him, hope he doesn't lose his drive, at worst one of the top teams should take him on as a test driver.
Old 26 Jul 2010, 16:48 (Ref:2733441)   #11
Urgentemente
Racer

United Kingdom
Liverpool,UK
Urgentemente should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've only seen him since he started in F1, but he really does seem like a decent bloke, from the start of the season where they were obviously on the backfoot with just having got it all together, to this weekend with missing the drive, he just always seems to handle it well.
Old 26 Jul 2010, 16:53 (Ref:2733444)   #12
alc
Rookie

alc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
100% agreement

Can't say more
Old 27 Jul 2010, 05:45 (Ref:2733803)   #13
Tall Chris
Racer

England
Headcorn
Tall Chris should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
+1 to all of the above
Old 27 Jul 2010, 10:40 (Ref:2733912)   #14
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I mentioned to Crofty on Twitter that the FP sessions were great fun on 5Live; that he, Karun and Ant seemed to really hit it off well, and that Karun is a star. Crofty's reply:

Quote:
@graemefowler you're right he is, and a thoroughly nice bloke as well. In fact they both are, but don't tell them I said that
Nice to see that the opinion is shared by his colleagues
Old 27 Jul 2010, 11:14 (Ref:2733925)   #15
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
@graemefowler
Ah Ha! another connection made...

M1FCF here = @davidpatrick over there...
Old 27 Jul 2010, 17:01 (Ref:2734064)   #16
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's the case of the right guy in the wrong team, and it makes all the difference...

Anyway I do hope he gets a drive next year, it takes balls to do what he did at the beginning of the year; drive a car that has had no testing, with very little experence of driving a F1, and still be able to pull out a few laps with drivers that know no mercy. He needs a better team.
Old 28 Jul 2010, 18:58 (Ref:2734763)   #17
medler
Racer

medler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As someone who has worked with Karun, I know that he and his father are real nice guys and a pleasure to work with. They always treated us very well and we got introduced to some real cracking Indian food. In fact his only fault is the fact you can't stop him talking
Old 29 Jul 2010, 13:04 (Ref:2735139)   #18
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A potential Force India candidate if Liuzzi does not return next season?

I guess it shows the sort of influence personality can have on people. If he was cold and generally unpleasant chap people would be calling for his head on a platter, no doubt. The fact the he is at least out there and making himself known across all forms of media speaks wonders for his PR sense!
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 29 Jul 2010, 14:11 (Ref:2735196)   #19
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Karun Chandhok is an arrogant, petulant....nah, I agree with everyone else. He's a lovely chap.
Old 29 Jul 2010, 14:35 (Ref:2735211)   #20
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
I mentioned to Crofty on Twitter that the FP sessions were great fun on 5Live; that he, Karun and Ant seemed to really hit it off well, and that Karun is a star. Crofty's reply:

Nice to see that the opinion is shared by his colleagues
I read that, didn't put the name to you though.

He's not racing again this weekend. Kolles is quite possibly the worst thing to happen to F1 since, since, since........ gah! Alex Yoong! And that's saying something.

@VEE6