Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Apr 2013, 11:39 (Ref:3236157)   #1
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Starting grids

Can anyone tell me when two-by-two grids became universal?
Old 18 Apr 2013, 12:53 (Ref:3236186)   #2
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSchneiderFan View Post
Can anyone tell me when two-by-two grids became universal?
Its not F1 amongst many other series uses a 1x1 grid.
Old 20 Apr 2013, 12:04 (Ref:3237014)   #3
aridshelter
Rookie

aridshelter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattt View Post
Its not F1 amongst many other series uses a 1x1 grid.
Surely you could only fit one car on a 1x1 grid?
Old 20 Apr 2013, 13:19 (Ref:3237029)   #4
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Sorry, I meant in F1. In the Sixties they often had, for example, three cars on the front row (and of course they still line up in threes at the Brickyard). But at some point all GPs went 2 x 2. When?
Old 20 Apr 2013, 15:02 (Ref:3237045)   #5
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Probably a Bernie-ism. Fixed formula for every race. (Snetterton used to have four-abreast in the 60s).
Old 20 Apr 2013, 16:08 (Ref:3237056)   #6
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
Probably a Bernie-ism. Fixed formula for every race. (Snetterton used to have four-abreast in the 60s).
Bernie would be game. That guy is a crazed circus master; he'll try anything. The H&S guys would hardly hack it though. There'd surely be a teams uprising too.
Old 21 Apr 2013, 09:56 (Ref:3237303)   #7
nicanary
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Newtownards Co.Down
nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!nicanary has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Bernie would be game. That guy is a crazed circus master; he'll try anything. The H&S guys would hardly hack it though. There'd surely be a teams uprising too.
I was actually assuming it was something he'd brought in to make all races generic. But since "entertaining the public" and viewing figures are "king", how long before he does a BTCC and has two or three races in an afternoon with ballast and "back of the grid" for the leading teams ?
Old 21 Apr 2013, 10:51 (Ref:3237318)   #8
SWCRacing
Racer

SWCRacing has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
1974, nothing to do with the Dwarf.
Old 21 Apr 2013, 16:49 (Ref:3237417)   #9
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWCRacing View Post
1974, nothing to do with the Dwarf.
It was 1974. The last GP to use 3 on the front row 2 on the second row, alternating down the grid was the 1973 Dutch GP at Zandvoort.

This is a very useful website http://www.statsf1.com/en/grands-prix.aspx, which is full of info and includes the starting grids.
Old 21 Apr 2013, 23:37 (Ref:3237592)   #10
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicanary View Post
I was actually assuming it was something he'd brought in to make all races generic. But since "entertaining the public" and viewing figures are "king", how long before he does a BTCC and has two or three races in an afternoon with ballast and "back of the grid" for the leading teams ?
I'd give it ten or twenty years. It's not something I'd give the time of day for that's for sure.