Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Jul 2010, 22:32 (Ref:2728769)   #26
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt View Post
Do you have the slightest clue about the history of F1?
I do John,
They used to race around a banked circuit at Monza.
They also raced at Kyalami, Watkins Glen, Imola, Zandvoort, Brands Hatch, Ostereichring, The Nordsheife, Mexico, Argentina, Ceasar's Palace car park etc, etc and they were all a lot more exciting and more of a race than Monaco will ever be.
If you can't overtake, it's not a race. Sod history.
Old 18 Jul 2010, 22:58 (Ref:2728776)   #27
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aridshelter View Post
I dunno, this makes perfect sense to me...

Given the tight and hilly nature of the Monaco circuit, I don't see any obvious place you could use Bernie's shortcut idea on the current layout...
There is no shortcut...
Old 18 Jul 2010, 23:34 (Ref:2728786)   #28
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by White flag man View Post
I do John,
They also raced at Kyalami, Watkins Glen, Imola, Zandvoort, Brands Hatch, Ostereichring, The Nordsheife, Mexico, Argentina, Ceasar's Palace car park etc, etc and they were all a lot more exciting and more of a race than Monaco will ever be.

Very good point, but Monaco is the least of F1's problems regarding overtaking!
Old 18 Jul 2010, 23:43 (Ref:2728791)   #29
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So F1 can finally be boiled down to two lines in that article:

"I think we can do without Monaco." Ecclestone says adding, "They don't pay enough."

"The Europeans are going to have to pay more money or we will have to go somewhere else." adds Ecclestone.

Where exactly? He'll eventually turn round to those other countries who are curently hosting GPs and do exactly the same to them, because they don't pay enough money.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 18 Jul 2010 at 23:49.
Old 19 Jul 2010, 00:23 (Ref:2728802)   #30
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
He'll eventually turn round to those other countries who are curently hosting GPs and do exactly the same to them, because they don't pay enough money.
Now you're starting to think like Bernie.
Old 19 Jul 2010, 00:46 (Ref:2728808)   #31
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Now you're starting to think like Bernie.
That's very worrying.
Old 19 Jul 2010, 03:03 (Ref:2728826)   #32
HughGJohnson
Racer

Switzerland
like Bill Maher, "I'm Swiss"
HughGJohnson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another classically moronic statement from Bernie. Forget about history, overtaking and any of that. The teams all depend on that weekend for sponsorship. The fact that Monaco wouldn't host F1 without Ferrari was the biggest (maybe only significant) reason why F1 didn't let FOTA split. If Bernie goes forward with this we will be hearing about Formula Monaco for next year. F1 will be left with some GP2 outfits, JV's new team and USF1. This won't happen. No one is stupid enough to think cutting Monaco would be good for FOM (this is different from thinking it would be good for racing), but only Bernie could think it would be a credible bluff.
Old 19 Jul 2010, 06:20 (Ref:2728855)   #33
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The best thing Bernie has said for a long time, Monaco is a farce!
And please don't harp on at me about tradition!
Agree.

Monaco isn't a race track. It's a procession.
Old 19 Jul 2010, 08:18 (Ref:2728883)   #34
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
I do John,
What he said.

Of course, adding sprinklers would probably redeem the 'track'. It's glamorous, it's history, it's amazing looking at the in car shots, but, after all that, as a race, it's boring.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 19 Jul 2010, 09:15 (Ref:2728902)   #35
dank
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
dank should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some sense, at last: http://joesaward.wordpress.com/2010/...co-grand-prix/
Old 19 Jul 2010, 09:59 (Ref:2728928)   #36
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bernie needs to realize that Europe is actually where most of the fans are.
Old 19 Jul 2010, 12:13 (Ref:2729010)   #37
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The sooner Bernie is gone the better, he continues to do untold damage to the sport. I thought we were starting to make some progress last year with Max, Ron and Flav all gone. Just need Bernie, Herman and Luca out of the way and we might start to get some sensible progress.

Bernie does not give a toss that the sports fan base is largely European and while I think it right that the sport should try to go to locations across the world, it is happening for the wrong reasons. I am not one for being pessimistic but I've felt for a while now it's only a matter of time before the sport becomes more Middle/Far Eastern based.

Bernie seems intent on pushing everybody and everything as far as he can even if it means risking spliting the sport to try and extort as much money as he can.
Old 19 Jul 2010, 12:50 (Ref:2729034)   #38
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
The sooner Bernie is gone the better, he continues to do untold damage to the sport. I thought we were starting to make some progress last year with Max, Ron and Flav all gone. Just need Bernie, Herman and Luca out of the way and we might start to get some sensible progress.

Bernie does not give a toss that the sports fan base is largely European and while I think it right that the sport should try to go to locations across the world, it is happening for the wrong reasons. I am not one for being pessimistic but I've felt for a while now it's only a matter of time before the sport becomes more Middle/Far Eastern based.

Bernie seems intent on pushing everybody and everything as far as he can even if it means risking spliting the sport to try and extort as much money as he can.
Totally agree with all of the above. This has pretty much been his modus operandae for the last 10 years or so; he's not referred to as the Extortionist for nothing.
Old 19 Jul 2010, 14:19 (Ref:2729065)   #39
F.O.F.
TeaTotal
Racer

Ireland
dublin
F.O.F. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie doesn't just bite the hand that feeds him, he eats the whole damn thing, as a starter. Or at least he says he will. Just posturing me thinks...
Old 19 Jul 2010, 15:03 (Ref:2729082)   #40
NeilB
Rookie

England
NeilB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyS View Post
The sooner Bernie is gone the better
But who would you put in his place?
Old 19 Jul 2010, 15:12 (Ref:2729086)   #41
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilB View Post
A committee, which would include a member of FOTA and the FIA. FOA needs some form of checks and balances, no longer can Grand Prix venues be decided by the whim of just one person, it's very destabilising for the sport.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 19 Jul 2010 at 15:18.
Old 19 Jul 2010, 15:26 (Ref:2729091)   #42
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd modify to that to be a committee of one person from each team (twelve), six FIA votes and one person from the GPDA with three. That is of course completely impossible with CVC Capital Partners owning the commercial rights, a ludicrous situation - no other sport has a third party that set the calendar and cream off the profits.
Old 19 Jul 2010, 15:35 (Ref:2729095)   #43
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
I'd modify to that to be a committee of one person from each team (twelve), six FIA votes and one person from the GPDA with three. That is of course completely impossible with CVC Capital Partners owning the commercial rights, a ludicrous situation - no other sport has a third party that set the calendar and cream off the profits.
Of course the GPDA, I thought I'd forgotten something. Well maybe FOTA and the GPDA need to make representation to the FIA for a change in the way CVC Capital Partners operates because the situation is gradually becoming untennable.
Old 19 Jul 2010, 15:43 (Ref:2729098)   #44
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
"No time to discuss this as a committee"

seriously Monaco can afford to pay and history aside they should pay. not just for right to continue their tradition and history (which provides it incredibly lucrative tourism revenues) but also for the benefit of all the other tracks that are indirectly subsidizing it.
Old 19 Jul 2010, 15:47 (Ref:2729101)   #45
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
"No time to discuss this as a committee"

seriously Monaco can afford to pay and history aside they should pay. not just for right to continue their tradition and history (which provides it incredibly lucrative tourism revenues) but also for the benefit of all the other tracks that are indirectly subsidizing it.
That's a fair point.
Old 19 Jul 2010, 15:49 (Ref:2729102)   #46
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I'd simply figure out how the FIA can make CVC's situation untenable, so that they are forced to give up the rights. The sanctioning body needs to get back to doing its job.

Monaco, for a street circuit, has elevation changes, some fast corners, and a tunnel. We saw some overtaking there this year. Granted, a Ferrari going by the new Lotus isn't the most difficult task generally, but it's something. And I at least have to applaud TGF's audacity for snookering that last pass coming to the checkered flag. Frankly, I'd take Monaco over Bahrain or the Hungaroring.

Guys, if you think Monaco is tight, you clearly haven't seen Pau or the back side of the Guia Circuit in Macau.
Old 19 Jul 2010, 16:02 (Ref:2729109)   #47
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
I'd simply figure out how the FIA can make CVC's situation untenable, so that they are forced to give up the rights. The sanctioning body needs to get back to doing its job.
How would you do that?
Old 19 Jul 2010, 16:20 (Ref:2729116)   #48
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
one thing that springs to mind is a review if possible of the sale of the F1 commercial rights for a period of 100 years for the staggeringly low price of $360 mill. here. all their profit is right there.

i think its fair to also remember that it was the FIA that sold them (perhaps without thinking) in the first place and we should be skeptical of putting them in charge of anything.
Old 19 Jul 2010, 16:24 (Ref:2729121)   #49
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilB View Post
Good question, The one name that jumped into my head straight away was Dave Richards. On reflection though I'm not sure, I have a bell ringing in my head that he was something to do with the changes to WRC in the late 90's which were'nt too clever. Maybe wrong there though. Also I think he's given up on F1 after Prodrive's abortive attempts to enter F1 and he'll be a bit busy with the new Mini/WRC tie up which was annouced today I think. Any other suggestions anybody?

I think the ideas here make sense but sadly not likely to happen because of CVC's involvement. They are venture capitalists after all and are purely in it for a return. Venture Capitalists generally look to exit within 5 to 7 years so that could be interesting. Maybe they should look at how some of the other motorsports around the world are organised and run as some of them seem to balance business, the interests of the sport and what the fans want far better.
Old 19 Jul 2010, 16:36 (Ref:2729129)   #50
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A little late to the fray here...

If Bernie said what we all wanted to hear, no one would be talking. Would it be more shocking if Bernie said he wants an indefinite contract with the Monaco organizers??

I try not to involve myself in the politics of F1; just makes me angry. I'd rather enjoy the racing, so maybe I need to walk away from this one....

For God's sakes, keep the Monaco GP! Whatever it costs.